JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is true. I always try to use enough gun. My deer/elk rifle is a custom Mauser in .338 Winchester magnum. The gun I use for varmints is a 243.Oone or the other is generally considered plenty for any 4 legged game you can find in the Pacific Northwest.

This thread is great motivation. I can't wait to get out there. We're going out first and second weekends of April...hoping to call in something. I've had luck out towards Frt Rock/Xmas valley in the past so I usually migrate that way.

Coyotes will take fawns whenever they can. In some areas they have reduced the fawn survival rate by as much as 60%. Coyotes are not generaly considered a threat to adult deer unless the deer is wounded or somehow handicaped and unable to run or fight back. I watched a doe mule deer fend off a single coyote. I don't know what would have happened if there had been a pack of them. I was too far away to do anything about it. They were on the other side of a river and a road, so I could not legally shoot at the coyote.

Coyotes will take fawns whenever they can. In some areas they have reduced the fawn survival rate by as much as 60%. Coyotes are not generaly considered a threat to adult deer unless the deer is wounded or somehow handicaped and unable to run or fight back. I watched a doe mule deer fend off a single coyote. I don't know what would have happened if there had been a pack of them. I was too far away to do anything about it. They were on the other side of a river and a road, so I could not legally shoot at the coyote.

They will when they can, sure. But the overall effect is minimal. Having more young that can possibly survive is built in to the deer's survival strategy. If the density of deer is declining in an area its not going to be from coyote predation. Not in a healthy environment.

I can hear the PETA moans. :s0114:

Bit of a controversial broo-haha, but just show them this: <broken link removed>

"EPHRATA, Wash. &#8211; Wildlife experts are making one last effort to save the endangered Columbia Basin pygmy rabbit, believed extinct in the wild since mid-2004. The pygmy rabbit is the smallest rabbit in North America, and can fit in a person's hand. Adults weigh about a pound and measure less than a foot in length. The previous effort to reintroduce the pygmy in 2007 ended badly when they were quickly gobbled by their many predators........Monda estimated that researchers have spent up to $250,000 a year for 10 years on work to save the rabbits."

$ 2-1/2 million spent, SO FAR...pretty expensive nosh for the Coyotes eh? I don't think that the yots are concerned about another federal spending deal I'd guess.......they actually do breed like rabbits.

More info: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/living_with/docs/living_with_coyotes.pdf

Blasting away at coyotes from long distance is not hunting. No meat involved at all. That's just killing stuff for fun, and you'll get no props from me for the effort. Coyotes are useful scavengers who keep other populations in check -- because they need the meat to survive. But I guess shooting targets doesn't make you feel like a man, eh?

Anyway....

If the rodent population in the area explodes as a result of this, I guess it'll be time to go out and blast the heads off of chipmunks, er... I mean "sage rats."

I've been hunting for over 40 years, always with a respect for the land and my prey. But you guys aren't hunters. You're just sick sick puppies with a shameful thirst for killing stuff to make you feel more manly.

I've been hunting for over 40 years, always with a respect for the land and my prey. But you guys aren't hunters. You're just sick sick puppies with a shameful thirst for killing stuff to make you feel more manly.

Or they could be guys that enjoy being in the field, and reducing a predator that takes game that reduces the population and therefore chances, of them getting that prey you respect so much, and that they pay for the chance to hunt.
There's always that off chance........

Blasting away at coyotes from long distance is not hunting. No meat involved at all. That's just killing stuff for fun, and you'll get no props from me for the effort. Coyotes are useful scavengers who keep other populations in check -- because they need the meat to survive. But I guess shooting targets doesn't make you feel like a man, eh?

Anyway....

If the rodent population in the area explodes as a result of this, I guess it'll be time to go out and blast the heads off of chipmunks, er... I mean "sage rats."

Better lump in all them trophy hunters and exotic big game hunters, if you will let me use the term "hunters". Maybe we could just all switch to snares and then pet them and feed them a treat before letting them go.

Here is an artical about even in regions with other big predators coyotes still lead the pack in deer kills:

Coyotes lead way in deer deaths - JSOnline

I know a local trapper who eats everything he catches, including coyote. he mentioned coyote ribs cut in half and bbq'd taste a lot like baby back ribs from the store. I don't have any first hand knowledge though.

Yeah, some people think i'm a sick puppy. What's your point?

Anyway....

Killing a coyote for the sake of taking down a predator to livestock and deer is one thing, but intentionally using small caliber ammo and simply wounding an animal to go off and suffer, and eventually die, is disgraceful.

That happens way to much and I find dead animals every year that nobody bothered to track because they are lazy. You shoot you find it.

I know I am hated for this but using a .223 on deer should not be allowed. There are not too many states that allow it.

Yes and I heard the hunting stories of grandpa killing moose with a .22 as well.

I never shot a coyote that went more than 15 yards.

What you shoot is not as important as how you shoot it... I've killed plenty of deer cleanly with proper shots from my .223, conversely I've heard of people loosing wounded game with all sorts of larger calibers. So blame the people who cant shoot not the caliber being used.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top