JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I have a Pietta 1858 that I plan on buying a conversion cylinder for. It says cowboy loads only, but could the steel framed Pietta handle regular 45LC loads or 45ACP loads?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

The cylinder should be fine as it's rated for higher pressures but I would be worried about the frame it is not designed to handle those pressures it could possibly stress and crack with higher pressure loads which most likely would'nt happen but is always possible better safe than sorry right?

Old post I know but Ive got a 1858 Remington Pietta ( newer ) with a Howell conversion. Ive run hundreds of rounds of 45 colt loaded with 36 grains of FFFG triple 7 and 200 grain hard cast bullets. Speed averages in the 1125 FPS range for about 550 ft/lbs muzzle energy. No signs of stretching or any other problems. Not the most accurate thing but Ive never been a huge accuracy guy. Minute of man is fine. With the original cylinder I usually go a little hotter with 38 grains ( all the cylinder will handle uncompressed) and a 141 grain ball with 1220 FPS. Ive seen testing where people claim to run 40 grains triple 7 FFFG triple 7 but I don't really think its even possible to cram that much in there uncompressed.

Old post I know but Ive got a 1858 Remington Pietta ( newer ) with a Howell conversion. Ive run hundreds of rounds of 45 colt loaded with 36 grains of FFFG triple 7 and 200 grain hard cast bullets. Speed averages in the 1125 FPS range for about 550 ft/lbs muzzle energy. No signs of stretching or any other problems. Not the most accurate thing but Ive never been a huge accuracy guy. Minute of man is fine. With the original cylinder I usually go a little hotter with 38 grains ( all the cylinder will handle uncompressed) and a 141 grain ball with 1220 FPS. Ive seen testing where people claim to run 40 grains triple 7 FFFG triple 7 but I don't really think its even possible to cram that much in there uncompressed.
I always ran black powder compressed like a black hole. Caveat.. I only used black powder in cap and ball and muzzle loaders though. I think it's the proper and wise thing to do in those.

Ive got a few cap and balls including originals. . I would never fill the open top colts with triple 7. The Remington copies get it all the time. About the most you can fill one with is 38 grains and still get a ball in there. I ran one through the chronograph at 1210 FPS with a 200 grain conical. Yes, That is 650 Ft Lbs. Thats when I decided I'd better pick up a Ruger Old Army if I wanted to keep my fingers where they are. Those can be loaded up into the 900 Ft Lb range with a little work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top