JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...points in the current political climate. The common thread with all his interviews with pro-gun people is that we need guns to protect us from the government. Result? "All gun owners are wild eyed militia types."

If we're ever going to really get anywhere and not constantly be coming back to this same rush to the barricades we need to break down stereotypes of firearms owners. We need to promote firearms ownership through firearms sports for the wholesome, family oriented activities they are. We need to put in the public face the fact that the only thing making the firearms community anything short of inclusive is their own bigotry.

We need to get people with irrational fear of firearms ownership to see us as individuals, not statistics. We need to force them to make laws that deal with individuals rather than "them".

I sincerely hope any ads the NRA runs starts working on presenting the wholesome side rather than just a barricaded, 2nd Amendment stance.

...points in the current political climate. The common thread with all his interviews with pro-gun people is that we need guns to protect us from the government. Result? "All gun owners are wild eyed militia types."

I agree. He seemed satisfied when he ended his interview with Ben Shapiro saying that fear of tyrannical government was his reason for defending 2A (I am paraphrasing Shapiro). Most cnn viewers will laugh at the thought of the government being a tyrannical power, thus we look like loons.

There is a difference between why we have 2A vs saying its the reason we don't want to give up guns and increase gun control. Like a good liberal its all about spinning the truth to fit the progressive agenda.

The only thing about the Shapiro interview I didn't like was about making it a Left/Right issue. While most grabbers are Lefties, the gun community is actually very diverse. This aspect should be played up. Women and minority gun owners need TV time. Otherwise it's too easy to paint us all as White, Republican, Christian, and male when that is most certainly not the case. The only thing that unites 100% of gun owners is....they saw a reason for a gun and bought one. I know of gun owners that represent every sex, race, political viewpoint, and most immigrant nationalities. I know rich/poor gun owners and I know gay/straight/bi gun owners. The tyranny reason falls flat because people just assume you mean "Right Now". It doesn't occur to them that it could ever happen here and they don't consider anything but the present, so they just think that when you say "Tyrant", you are saying "Obama". Thankfully, public opinion doesn't really change laws on it's own.

The only thing about the Shapiro interview I didn't like was about making it a Left/Right issue. While most grabbers are Lefties, the gun community is actually very diverse. This aspect should be played up. Women and minority gun owners need TV time. Otherwise it's too easy to paint us all as White, Republican, Christian, and male when that is most certainly not the case. The only thing that unites 100% of gun owners is....they saw a reason for a gun and bought one. I know of gun owners that represent every sex, race, political viewpoint, and most immigrant nationalities. I know rich/poor gun owners and I know gay/straight/bi gun owners. The tyranny reason falls flat because people just assume you mean "Right Now". It doesn't occur to them that it could ever happen here and they don't consider anything but the present, so they just think that when you say "Tyrant", you are saying "Obama". Thankfully, public opinion doesn't really change laws on it's own.
What is wrong with thinking Obama is, or wants to be a tyrant? he wants to ignore the constitution and the amendments, he actively tells LE not to enforce the laws on illegals who have entered the country and then expects those who are legally here to pay for those who are illegally here to get free health care, food, aid, etc. At the same time if we don't pay for healthcare then we are to be fined for not doing so... sounds like a path down the road to that tyrant label to me.

We are simply going to the barricades and digging in each time. We need to change the entire climate, be more aggressive in destroying the rationales used to promote irrational firearms restrictions.

Shapiro was very good and forceful, but we need to stop using justifications. For me it is all about individual freedoms--I don't need justifications like self defense or 2nd Amendment. If an individual is acting responsibly, his or her actions should not be micromanaged on the basis of the behavior of others. Individuals should be dealt with as individuals, not as some statistical "them".

The best way to change the climate is to become the majority by exposing more people to firearms sports and firearms owners. We need to show that firearms owners are responsible, are family friendly and can handle firearms very competently.

Possible intended consequences:

A dose of exposure to competition shooting as a family activity may destroy some of the arguments against the idea of armed civilians being useful in bad situations.

Seeing hundreds of armed competitors at a match in our usual low key, sportsmanlike style might help demonstrate that the firearms are causing no problems.

Reenforcing the fact that we do not have riots after matches, have a much lower incidence of belligerence than at a typical baseball game might destroy the stereotype of firearms owners being dangerous.

And yet at the end of the day you will not see anyone other than people on the right standing up for all American rights show me one progressive media or politician that will side with pro gun people and stand up againt there party. Just because you own guns does not mean you give a crap about our constituional rights or obammy would have not been reelected. We all new he was going to do this yet his side of the isle did not stop him then and will not now. Reality check Please.

DMax is right on point. Not hard to find people complacent about restrictions. For instance, in the past people in the shotgun related sports have shown little interest in fighting issues regarding other firearms.

The guy thrives on making the right made... he is a no talent a hole that feels the UK is the greatest nation on earth and that we should all follow them. The guy is a joke, and according to TV ratings is at the bottom of all the political cominatry shows.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top