JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since we're so concerned about our image then why is it that in almost every single show me your guns, WTS, WTT pics that every weapon in the picture is on "Fire" instead of "Safe"? I noticed that when I first joined and thought maybe it was just the timing, but after a few months on here it appears to be common place. Safety isn't just about keeping our fingers off of the trigger until we're ready to engage threats.

Hoot.jpg

Last Edited:
You're comparing Apples to Oranges....

A gun sitting on the table can sit there forever loaded, hammer cocked, with the safety off, and the gun will never fire. One must add in the human factor for the gun to do anything.

When selling a 1911 for instance, I like to see the whole profile of the hammer, so the hammer must be cocked. Whether the safety is on or not, doesn't make a difference, as stated above there has to be a human factor.

-snip- why is it that in almost every single show me your guns, WTS, WTT pics that every weapon in the picture is on "Fire" instead of "Safe"? -snip-

Because i shoot Mosin Nagants. One doesn't have time for trivia like safeties when defending the Motherland. Actually, MN safeties are so annoying, i've never seen any one use them.

Now the Hakim, on the other hand, is another story. Hakim owners always keep their safeties on. You do NOT want to catch your finger in the Hakim bolt!!! I've read that compared to the Hakim, Garand Thumb is a pleasurable experience.

Well I guess that no one gets it then. Certain people on this site are hypersensitive to what's displayed to the public considering that this is a gun forum. I've seen it posted here a few times that "we're" concerned about our public image yet we don't bother to even put the safeties in the on position when we take pictures. I guess it's a moot point then......

Well I guess that no one gets it then. Certain people on this site are hypersensitive to what's displayed to the public considering that this is a gun forum. I've seen it posted here a few times that "we're" concerned about our public image yet we don't bother to even put the safeties in the on position when we take pictures. I guess it's a moot point then......

I don't think you're understanding what people are saying to you, grasshopper.

And the ceramic-glock fearing public probably doesn't even know how/where/what a safety works/is/does.

Hey Buddhalux, thanks for the thread.

As everyone knows, we are extremely concerned with preserving our good image. However, regarding the position of the manual safety in photos, I don't believe promoting the thought that with the safety engaged the firearm is any less dangerous than if it were disengaged. Everyone should know that mechanical safeties can and do fail, and that the only safety that is 100% reliable is keeping your finger and other objects out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire. I also believe this is why this is the #2 rule of gun safety. Keeping the finger and other objects away from the trigger goes above and beyond relying on a mechanical device, and because of that it's a more thorough way to train people on firearm safety. In addition, many firearms (such as those by Glock and Sig) do not have passive safeties. If we promote the thought that guns without passive safeties are in some way 'more dangerous' than those with passive safeties, I believe we'd be guilty of spreading misinformation.

This site and all of us responsible gun owners need to continue to hold those who violate any of the safety rules accountable for their actions :s0155:

My carry handgun doesnt have any external safety :huh:

Actually, now that I think about it, none of them do except for the glock, which I dont consider a trigger safety to be a traditional "safety". :s0114:

If you take this to the extreme, all our photos would have no magazines on weapons, and the cable locks through the mag well/ejection ports on our firearms.

We're a forum for firearms enthusiasts. We use our firearms for a multitude of purposes - sport, collectors, defense. As such, the state of various weapons will vary depending on their intended use.

As stated earlier, not all safeties can be engaged when the weapon is not cocked.
So for certain weapons, the act of cocking the weapon in order to engage the safety for a photo, is IMO less safe than leaving it uncocked with the safety off.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top