JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I couldn't tell from the picture, but i was wondering that too.

I was also meaning the springs around the wheels would also give it a "squishy" ride.

A quick search and i found this. Appears that there is NO rubber?

View attachment 786344

If there is one thing bicycle/motorcycle owners/riders will need if SHTF, it is tires and tubes (if their tires are not tubeless). Both wear out tires quickly and flats/etc. are a common issue.

This is unusual where YOU are, but not here on mainland UK...

1607013900753.png

Re: German bicycle with metal tires...

I just remembered that, on some of the later moon missions, we sent a motorized buggy up with the astronauts so they could venture farther away from the landing module.
Officially, it was known as the LRV (Lunar Roving Vehicle) or LSSM (Local Scientific Survey Module), but the news media tended to call them "Lunar Rover" or "Moon Buggy".

1607020068000.png

The tires for that thing were not made of rubber, but instead were interlaced spring steel wires (think of a coil spring stretched out straight) reinforced by narrow metal plates arranged in a chevron formation, that helped create a sort of "tread" for which the tires gripped with.
The idea was the tires would smooth out the ride as they could also act as a suspension system.
This simplified construction and lightened the vehicle.
The thing was only capable of 11 mph flat out and at those speeds, the idea worked well enough.

I remember reading a story on this vehicle and engineers puzzled over how the tires would be made for quite some time.
Although I do not recall any mention of the WWII German bicycle tires as being an influence, I know more than a few former Nazi scientists had a hand in the Apollo project, so it does cause one to take pause and wonder....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top