JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Cover_Photo-768x303.png

Cucciolo_01_edited.png

POULIN-Firearms-Auction-Smith-Rhodes-Co-5-Barrel-4.jpg
Another obscure Confederate firearm. This five-barrel muzzleloading combination gun is made in the 1860s, in Richmond, Virginia by a company called Smith, Rhodes & Co. The barrels of the gun measure 25″ and are made of brass. The top two barrels are .50 caliber smoothbore, fired by the two top hammers. The three barrels of the bottom row are fired by the underhammer which can be rotated to line up with the nipple of the barrel the shooter wants to fire. The underhammer also doubles as a trigger guard. The middle barrel of the bottom row is 38 caliber smoothbore while the two barrels on its either side are .31 caliber rifled.

Puff the magic Prius?
One of the Army Officers in charge of testing that gun was a former girlfriend's neighbor.
When I knew him he had long been retired. Used to sit in his garage and make doll houses and wooden cutouts of Disney characters.
Then he'd give them all away to the neighborhood kids.
He was the coolest guy.

Actually, this is Puff The Magic Dragon, the airplane....

1593033406670.png

...however, both this plane and the AC-130 you show, also went by "Spooky", which I understand is where the confusion comes from.
The plane was named for the code name of the gun it used. What we now know as the "7.62 Minigun".
When the gun was being tested, it's "working title" was Puff The Magic Dragon.

....and now I see those dam black SUV's in the driveway again and the helicopters have just landed in the back yard.
Guess my next post will probably be from Leavenworth....or maybe Guantanamo. :s0001:

Dean

belt fed bullpup lever action pistol caliber carbine. Talk about weird but awesome :s0151:
Belt-Fed-Bullpup-Lever-Action-Rifle-Chambered-in-.44-Magnum-main.jpg

Video

I have wanted/wondered about a number of guns in a bullpup configuration, usually about a break open action - specifically an over/under or drilling combination rifle/shotgun. IIRC some guy in a Scandanavian country had something like that, but I can't find it.

I did find this, which would be neat, but it is $5K and apparently it didn't take off because the website is gone:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top