JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Weirdest 1911 magazine ever

E2D4506F-91C4-4ABC-B0E5-E178A6FA43B1.jpeg

Sci-Fi/Semi-reality, inorganic chemistry deep dive, brain melting, eye bleeding, links to white papers, linked below.
Not a weapon but a mad scientist project.

TLDR ~ too long didn't research.

Use of liquid propellants in guns possibly eliminating the case and primer completely.
Hydroxylammonium nitrate or hydroxylamine nitrate (HAN) can be ignited by something as simple as a piezoelectric device (disposable lighter) or a miniaturized multi-spark discharge device (micro taser or "X-lighter).

Caveats are;
Introduction of metallic salts make the aqueous solution unstable (BOOM).
Storage and delivery methods have yet to be worked out.
Still have to figure out projectile load and unload.
Pressure curves were all over the place so likewise SD and ES were unpredictable.
How to "clear and show safe" when there is no cartridge to grab hold of and eject.
What would a "magazine" look like?
Chemical process is a bit more involved than simply mixing nitric acid and ammonia.
[sarc]other than that it's simple [/sarc]

Deep dive follows below.

Hydroxylammonium nitrate or hydroxylamine nitrate (HAN) is an inorganic compound with the chemical formula [NH3OH]+[NO3]−. It is a salt derived from hydroxylamine and nitric acid. In its pure form, it is a colorless hygroscopic solid. It has potential to be used as a rocket propellant either as a solution in monopropellants or bipropellants.

188575-page-001.jpg

Looks like a swivel gun for a fort / wall or boat.
Not sure WTH is going on with the "claw" on the barrel right in front of the fore end of the stock.

Kinda doubt that it is an original gun , as in antique...still interesting.
Andy
No, it's definitely been modified. It looks like someone took a cannon, welded some handles to the top and jimmied up a receiver of their own design. I think the cannon itself is just used as a makeshift barrel for whatever ungodly contraption this is. Classified as muzzle-loader?

No, it's definitely been modified. It looks like someone took a cannon, welded some handles to the top and jimmied up a receiver of their own design. I think the cannon itself is just used as a makeshift barrel for whatever ungodly contraption this is. Classified as muzzle-loader?
So after taking a closer look....
The flintlock has a safety latch behind the hammer...also the frizzen is covered with a leather tab.
The safety latch is neat...and not often found on replica locks.
The tab is meant as a "safety" to prevent the flint from striking the frizzen.
This seems to me at least , signs of a working , as in fireable flintlock muzzle loader.

if you look at the barrel there are two lugs near the stock..those are for locking into the swivel , which is mounted on the wall or boat.
Wall guns / swivel guns were often oversized...they tended to shoot .80 caliber or larger round ball or shot.

It appears to me at least , after a second look...
like a swivel gun that has been re-stocked...again not sure what the 'Claw" thing is on top of the barrel , near the fore end.
Andy

So after taking a closer look....
The flintlock has a safety latch behind the hammer...also the frizzen is covered with a leather tab.
The safety latch is neat...and not often found on replica locks.
The tab is meant as a "safety" to prevent the flint from striking the frizzen.
This seems to me at least , signs of a working , as in fireable flintlock muzzle loader.

if you look at the barrel there are two lugs near the stock..those are for locking into the swivel , which is mounted on the wall or boat.
Wall guns / swivel guns were often oversized...they tended to shoot .80 caliber or larger round ball or shot.

It appears to me at least , after a second look...
like a swivel gun that has been re-stocked...again not sure what the 'Claw" thing is on top of the barrel , near the fore end.
Andy
The thing looks Chinese to me, maybe pre-Sun Yat Sen era... Manchu-looking, kinda... Mounted on a defensive wall... That would be my Two Cents™ anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top