JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1607326217299.png
Honey, what happened to the coffee table? :s0108:;)

One of my favourite pics is that gun compared to a '65 VW Beetle...

View attachment 788384
30mm on its own doesn't sound that impressive until.one sees its a multi barrel gatling :s0001: But.. heres some big guns on aircraft... relatively unusual[/b]:s0033:
45b1ec6121b5d41396d9d5179414a14f.jpg
One of the B-25 strafer models with a 75mm howitzer in its nose
1f898cdd3607dcf13ff8f214d353682b.jpg
Henschel HS 129 with a 75mm recoilless cannon, note narrow body with armored windscreen, a direct ancestor to the A-10 :D

And...
105mmac130.jpg
AC-130J? 105mm cannon out its side plus a 40mm Bofors cannon :s0001:

My sons electronics work bench on the USS Chancellorsville was directly under a Sea Wiz Gun mount the rate of fire is classified, But he says when the gun went off the stuff on his work bench vibrated at an amazing rate they would give a warning alarm and you had a couple seconds to get your hearing protection on Otherwise you could hear a thing for a while.

6000 rounds a minute - that's 100 rounds per SECOND - of 30mm anything is going to leave a mark.
Never knew the 30mm Gatling went that high. Know the GAU-8 originally could do 2100 to 4200 Rounds Per Minute rate of fire, then fixed at 3,900 RPM... I know the 20mm Vulcan does up to 6,000 RPM. Not sure if the 7.62mm Minigun is just as high.:confused:

Never knew the 30mm Gatling went that high. Know the GAU-8 originally could do 2100 to 4200 Rounds Per Minute rate of fire, then fixed at 3,900 RPM... I know the 20mm Vulcan does up to 6,000 RPM. Not sure if the 7.62mm Minigun is just as high.:confused:
The GAU-8 got slowed down some during the 90's as they were not worried so much about busting tanks and more concerned with strafing ground forces multiple times, so it was to conserve ammo! I have seen test firings where they spun it up to 4500 RPM, and that was simply crazy! The M-61 20 mm can do over 10,000 RPM if one wanted it to, but in most Jets, it's turned down to around 6000, except the F-15 which cranks them out at a crazy 7400 RPM!
The old M-39's could spit them out around 2400 RPM, and they were usually carried in Quad installations! We tested many different light weight airborne weapon systems to find what might be the best, and one of those systems was a 3 barreled Gatling type gun in .50 caliber that could spit them out at up to 10,000 rounds, but in practicality, we found that around 1500 on the low setting and 2400 on the high setting was ideal! The M-134 series could spin to well over 10,000 RPM, but it's a complete waste of ammo to run that high, we usually ran them around 4800 with a high and low switch to change the rate, mostly depending on how big a magazine we were willing to tote around per gun aboard our birds! Remember, 24 rounds of 7.62X51 weighs exactly 1 pound! My Favorite big gun system was the M-188 MK-IV , basically a 40 mm Bofors in a light weight towable mount with electro optical sighting system and could be set up and ran by a crew of two, that single gun could spit out 3 round's per second with it's water cooled barrel, or, in the ultra light weight airborne, air cooled system, 4 rounds per second! Lemme tell ya,, THAT gun will rock you, and put a YUGE smile on your face every time you mash the foot trigger!

Last Edited:
30mm on its own doesn't sound that impressive until.one sees its a multi barrel gatling :s0001: But.. heres some big guns on aircraft... relatively unusual[/b]:s0033:
View attachment 788387
One of the B-25 strafer models with a 75mm howitzer in its nose
Not a Howitzer.
It was actually the same 75mm gun that was used in the Sherman tank. They just went with a shorter barrel and I believe an automated firing system was added.
Guys who actually flew these planes said the cannon was virtually useless because one shot would shake the plane so bad, they couldn't line up for a second shot before having to pull out and go around again.

Dean

Not a Howitzer.
It was actually the same 75mm gun that was used in the Sherman tank. They just went with a shorter barrel and I believe an automated firing system was added.
Guys who actually flew these planes said the cannon was virtually useless because one shot would shake the plane so bad, they couldn't line up for a second shot before having to pull out and go around again.

Dean
Thank you for the correction. I seem to have mixed the two designations of 75mm guns up (field gun and howitzer).

BTW, the Mini-gun DOES have a 6000 rpm 'top speed'...Mike Dillon used to have one he'd bring to Knob Creek KY and light up the night sky with it........but then Mr Dillon was a very rich man. Not everybody can afford 15 - 20 minutes-worth of 7.62x51 ammo at that rate, even if its only in a couple of dozen 20 second bursts.

32 S&W UNIQUE. The original owner was a shooter that helped argue the Heller case in front of the SCOTUS. I'm looking to replace the grips but the closest ones I can find are in Germany for about $200.00 Oh to own a batch of tools and a pantograph!! LOL

7M4IsJD.jpg

Greg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews