JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could be selling those babies on gun Broker now and be bragging about it on the board! Every body would want to be you!

S&P 500 was at $1,425.59 on 1/1/20
S&P 500 now is $3,710.27

Up 260%

That $10.99 invested in 2020 would be worth $28.60

$10.99 box of 500 .22LR is now selling at $119.00 on Lucky Gunner. For once the ammo purchase would have been a good investment.

BRB, I have to call my broker.

Comparing old prices should include inflation to see the real value.
13.95 in 1997 = 22.62 today cumulative inflation = +62.1%
6.99 in 1972 = 43.52 today cumulative inflation = +522.6%
1.95 in 1935 = 37.04 today cumulative inflation = +1799.2%
10.99 in 2001 = 16.16 today cumulative inflation = +47.0%

Of course, prevailing conditions at the time affect the actual value more than inflation alone.

Got these from one of the old guys in our black powder club.

IMG_20210105_081325 prices.jpg

Here's a few that recently came into my ownership. Pricing is almost as cool as remembering some of the old stores that I didn't realize I missed until now.

I have to say that I think this thread has been really cool. I personally love old stuff like this and I think it's cool to have it displayed on shelves or wherever.

Thanks to everyone who's shared so far.

Back in the mid 80's I remember dropping $10 for a brick of 500 22LR at GI Joe's or BiMart. We'd head-up into the woods and shoot the entire thing. Other than the gas for the truck and forgoing the deposit return on the cans we shot-up, that was the only cash outflow for an entire afternoon of fun.

I remember that 9mm was running about $10 a box back then. About a year ago $10-$12 was about the average, non-sale, shelf price per box of 9mm. Up through this January I could get S&B for $7.50 per box but I had to buy a case of 1000. Even back in the early 90's, 1000 rounds of 9mm reloads from a reputable reloader was running $180 to $200 (w/out brass exchange). Although that did include a 30 cal ammo. :p

It is amazing that over the past 35 years 9mm prices have stayed about the same, other than those years when things went wacko and prices went up for a while - like right now. I rarely shoot other calibers than 9mm or 22LR (even though I own pistols and revolvers in several other calibers) so I really don't have a feel for their prices over the decades.

It will be interesting to see where things are a year from now.
...mid 80's. A couple of weeks before hunting season would start, all the Winchester Super-X .30-30 ammo would suddenly drop to $2.49/box.
Stuff would sit all year, then in the course of a couple of weeks to a month, it was all gone.

There was an older (although no price tag) box of .22LR from a brand I am not familiar with as well.View attachment 801925
C. 1980's
I got my H&R 20 ga. in either 1988 or 1989 and I bought a box of rabbit and squirrel loads to test it out.
Those shells were Peters in a box that looked just like the box of .22's shown earlier.
This one is a little darker in colour, but they weren't offered for too long, IIRC.
Peters was aligned with Remington and I suspect they still hold rights to the name.

Dean

C. 1980's
I got my H&R 20 ga. in either 1988 or 1989 and I bought a box of rabbit and squirrel loads to test it out.
Those shells were Peters in a box that looked just like the box of .22's shown earlier.
This one is a little darker in colour, but they weren't offered for too long, IIRC.
Peters was aligned with Remington and I suspect they still hold rights to the name.

Dean

Peters was and is a very well known brand in the shotgun world. They had blue hulls and supposed to be way better for reloading than the newer stuff. My buddy who reloads shotgun told me about them. People evidently still seek out and buy the hulls.

Check it out here "Blue Magic"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads