JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
You know that expression: "No good deed goes unpunished"?

Yesterday, I took a good senior citizen friend of mine out to the local range since he can't really drive any more. Super cool guy: knows more about reloading and long distance shooting that I can ever hope to know. I listen and learn so much every time we get together.

We get to the range: No one there. We do our thing. It's great.

Then another great senior citizen guy (super good shot!) same age, more or less, as my old friend shows up, and proceeds to back up into my full size pickup! Driver side bed panel and door squished.

My pickup is the only thing in the lot. Today's estimate at a local shop with the best reputation around: $3,500- to fix my pickup. Ouch!

I'm proud of myself for being super cool to the poor guy: he looked totally freaked out. My concern was for him and not my truck. He looked like he was on the edge of tears, he felt so bad. People say his insurance might not cover an incident on private land. No official word yet. I hope that's not the case.

Maybe more of us ought to be helping those venerable seniors to drive out to the range. I am in awe of their knowledge and experience. So many of them are veterans and I can't compare to their skill on the range. I feel it's so important to do my best to learn as much as I can before their knowledge and experience is lost forever.

It's just a truck, but it's been a rough couple of days: lots of time on hold.

At least I DID have a great time at the range.

*heavy sigh*

I'll bet he felt pretty bad.. that sucks! Stuff happens (to and by us) all the time. I'll second that you're having the right attitude and it'll work out OK one way or another.

I'd sue that old fart for mental anguish as well as mental incompetence and loss of income, maybe an atty. could throw in more FELONY charges:rolleyes:

These old people (over 60) should be locked away in an:) asylum.

I think you acted like a wuss, a girly man, a Democrat!

NEVERMIND.....................I always remember that I'm going to be old some day, and maybe not as sharp as I am today, or I won't make it to old age....

GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:):):):):):D:D

I was tucked away in that leftmost parking spot directly in front of the Tigard Bi-Mart around five years ago.. really tucked in meaning hugging the curb to the left and wheels touching curb in front.. big 4-Runner.
Some old dood tagged the crap out of it while I was in the store.. employees saw him do it and got his info and contacted me.
It worked out but that pretty much sucked too.

I'd sue that old fart for mental anguish as well as mental incompetence and loss of income, maybe an atty. could throw in more FELONY charges:rolleyes:

These old people (over 60) should be locked away in an:) asylum.

I think you acted like a wuss, a girly man, a Democrat!

NEVERMIND.....................I always remember that I'm going to be old some day, and maybe not as sharp as I am today, or I won't make it to old age....

GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:):):):):):D:D

That's funny - a medical friend asked me why I worry about my older friend driving but don't worry about him with loaded firearms.

That never occurred to me: The guy is like a Jedi-Master of firearms and reloading and can probably shoot with his eyes closed better than me with my eyes open.

Driving is just different, in my mind....

I've never shot there, but from what I hear I'd like to. Don't know how to get involved there? Sorry about the truck! At least he didn't back over your rifle:D

here ya go:

<broken link removed>

I've only been a guest there and I was a guest at the range where I was yesterday as well. But that's how you learn.

The IW range is great: they have a couple gong targets at 200 yards and I was there alone with the person who took me there. I did my Elmer Keith imitation and shot my 44 until I could hit the big gong semi-regularly (not yesterday). Great place.

Insurance should cover it - most parking lots are private property but public places. Insurance doesn't end the second you leave a public road.

What insurance generally won't cover is damage due to "speed contests", and sometimes damage due to off-roading, stuff like that.

That's funny - a medical friend asked me why I worry about my older friend driving but don't worry about him with loaded firearms.

That never occurred to me: The guy is like a Jedi-Master of firearms and reloading and can probably shoot with his eyes closed better than me with my eyes open.

Driving is just different, in my mind....
As we get older our reaction time gets slower. In driving that is bad, but in target shooting it doesn't hurt anything.

@OP you are in OR so if you have insurance you have Uninsured motorist coverage. Your truck will be repaired. Whether or not you get other assistance - like a rental car - could be at issue.

Good job expressing concern for the person and not the thing.

he was probably freaked because if he is very oldish and insurance companies like to drop their policies asap and getting your license renewed can be next to impossible.

If he has anything else on his record it pretty much sucks because he's probably afraid he's going to get his license or insurance yanked, either way not your problem.

You always feel bad for them though, we'll all be there sooner than you want to be.

I had an old lady hit me when i was 18 kinda both out fault, but more hers I felt so bad i told her i would just pay for her damage. She had an oooooold dodge pos. her son told her it would be $300 for a new bumper. I met her at her place to talk about it. She lived in a trailer park and gave me home made cookies. I didn't have the guts to argue so i just handed over 3 bills and told to drive safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top