JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did you ever do a 90 degree corner above 20mph?
Never drove a M151 or a CJ type jeep... although my little 2wd Kia Sportage is in a similar size and payload class, I've never done a 90 degree corner over 20mph ;) I know its not the same, having a full body of a compact SUV, but it is body on frame 4 cyl 5 speed manual vehicle with a higher center of gravity than a car

That sounds like an interesting experience! I do know the M151 have 4 wheel independent suspension versus the leaf sprung solid axled M38 and CJ5 jeeps... the 4x4 version of the Kia has both. Front independent and rear solid axle. 2wd is just solid rear axle, again, closer to the postal DJ jeeps than the M151s. Anyways. On topic. DOT federal vehicle people says if import 2 door hard top SUVs, they get classed as "light trucks" and get smacked with the Chicken Tax :mad: Which is why the "cute utes" in 2 door formats are all "convertibles" with half a roof...

I dont mind a S10/Ranger class truck myself... eventually, if I can find a good deal and someone wants the Kia :rolleyes:

Some people buy pickups in order to get a rear wheel drive vehicle. I myself don't like to drive front wheel drive equipment, so I sympathize.

Re. the M151, etc. When I got home from active duty, I joined the army Guard. My first AT was 1973, and in addition to organic unit vehicles, there was a post pool of tactical vehicles available for various purposes. That year, we still had M38A1's in addition to the M151's. There was one (would-be) salty evaluator who drove the single M38 (square front fenders). It was gone the following year. We still had some Jimmy deuce and a half trucks then too. They went completely away in 1975. I can't remember exactly what year it was, 74 or 75, we had one of the early M35 gassers, it was a 1954 Studebaker. Up to about 1977, some of our division elements had scads of gas five ton tractors from the early 1950's. These were M52's, made by I-H and Diamond T.

Back to pickups. While I was in the Guard, we were supplied with then-new Dodge M880 series pickup trucks. They were a modified commercial design. As I recall, they had the 318 V-8 gas engine. I don't have any experience with them from the maintenance standpoint, but from the comfort angle they were such a huge improvement over the old Dodge M37 3/4 ton trucks. The M880 had a much longer w/b than the 3/4, though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top