JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think Im gonna make people a jar of pickled eggs for Christmas. Does anybody have any recipes they want to share? Some people keep it real simple and some go to town. Just looking for some diversity to add to what I already know to do... Thanks a bunch

I,d like to see a good pickled egg recipe too. I do make pickled eggs from time to time but the only way I've done them that is good is to have the juice from a large bottle of Mezzetta peperoncini. Some Nalley's pickle juice to fill to the top of a Nalley's pickle jar after the dozen eggs and the pepper juice have been added. Some pickling spice, cut garlic cloves and some thin sliced onions. Some crushed or whole dried red peppers if you want some heat. I let it stand for two weeks before eating.

Mike

Buy pickles.
Eat all the pickles.
Save juice.
Boil eggs.
Peel eggs.
Place eggs in pickle juice.
Allow to fester for minimum of 1 week.

When I want them spicy, I dice up an appropriate pepper (or partial if habenero) or two and add to the juice. I also add at least one clove of minced garlic and/or a minced shallot.

I have tried making the pickling brine from scratch and I prefer the recycled pickle juice method.

I have tried making the pickling brine from scratch
The company Azure Standard (if they are still around) used to have the best bulk pickling spice mix ever. Get that, follow the directions and you will have an excellent brine. The used pickle juice system works but it's kind of bland.

Buy pickles.
Eat all the pickles.
Save juice.
Boil eggs.
Peel eggs.

When I want them spicy, I dice up an appropriate pepper (or partial if habenero) or two and add to the juice. I also add at least one clove of minced garlic and/or a minced shallot.

I have tried making the pickling brine from scratch and I prefer the recycled pickle juice method.

As a highly trained food-service professional, I must whole-heartedly concur with this.

Buy pickles.
Eat all the pickles.
Save juice.
Boil eggs.
Peel eggs.

YUP!^^^^^^ What he said. I'll poke them a bit with a fork before dropping them in the juice, seems
to make them cure a bit faster. If you need to "top off" the juice, use a half and half water/vinegar mix.

I usually get a jar of hot mamas and after the sausages are gone I use that brine for the eggs. Im making eggs for 16 house holds for Christmas gifts so I would have to eat a lot of pickles and sausages to get the brine from them..lol. So heres what I did. I made two versions of eggs and sausages. I used heat and serve bratwurst for my sausage.

Brine #1:
juice from 2 cans pickled beats
juice from quart jar mazzetas pepperoncinis (how ever you spell it)
juice from quart jar mazzetas hot chili peppers
evenly divided between 4 quart jars
1 cinnamon stick per jar
filled the jar with eggs or sausage and a few of each pepper
topped off with white distilled vinegar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brine #2
red, green, yellow and orange bell peppers chopped
left over pepperoncinis and chili peppers chopped
1 yellow onion chopped
mix the onion and peppers together in a bowl. (should be enough for 10-12 quart jars)
each quart jar got
1 cup white distilled vinegar
1tbl spoon McCormicks pickling spice
1tbl spoon brown sugar
1tbl spoon kosher salt
1tbl spoon minced garlic
1 handfull of pepper/onion mixture(probably 3/4 cup)
fill the jar with eggs or sausage (shake it up a little when its about half full)
top it off with vinegar
--------------------------------------------------------------------
We'll see how they taste in a couple weeks. Both smelled good and the jars with all the different peppers looked really presentable. They should make good gifts if they dont taste like $#!T... I think next time I'll add a tbl spoon of regular sugar as well and maybe top off with water instead of vinegar. I dunno have to wait and see...

I have always wanted to try pickled eggs, are they good? I am kinda scared of getting sick from them.

Get sick from them how? Pickled eggs are delicious. Watch out though...eating them can cause a significant increase in the volume, frequency and magnitude of rectal gas emissions. Some of us think that is a bonus. :D

This thread reminds me of the character "Timmens" in the movie "Dances With Wolves". That jar of pickled eggs bouncing around on the buckboard seat of his wagon. "Put that in your book!"

Some of these recipes are way too complicated. Here is all you need:

Boiled Eggs (peeled)
Vinegar
Canned Beet Slices (drained)
Onion (sliced thick)
A Big Jar

Cover the bottom of the jar with some eggs. Layer on some beet slices. Layer on some onion rings. Repeat until the jar is full. Pour vinegar in jar. Wait for perfection (2 or 3 days minimum). Scoop out eggs with slotted spoon (I prefer to eat the onion & beets also but you can leave them in there and add more eggs to the solution for another batch if you like).

I usually let mine soak while refrigerated though I think the proper way might be to leave them on the counter or in a cupboard at room temperature.

Used to make them with dill pickle brine, vinegar, crushed garlic and juice from a jar of jalapenos.

In the early 80's I always ate store-bought eggs in Ramona, CA on the way home from shooting on Magnolia Road (before it was closed for trash). Didn't realize I was mortal then, so there's no telling how many I consumed with lead and half-burned gunpowder on them from my grimy fingers. I thought that's what all the sulphur smelling gas came from.

I have always wanted to try pickled eggs, are they good?
An understatement - food of the gods. But for a real treat cut up whitefish into bite side chunks and throw them in the brine for couple months. I have been told by many "it was the best 'pickled herring' I have ever had"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top