JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After I got done shooting at Wolf Creek on Monday, I did the usual policing my brass as well as any other I could pick up. One thing I noticed which was a little surprising (although to most it may not be) is how much live ammunition is on the ground. A lot of it was .22lr but some of it was rifle rounds as well. I picked it up with the rest although I don't know what to do with it. People say they just throw it in the trash, but that doesn't seem like the best place to put it... kind of like what do you do with all the batteries you go through if you don't have an easy recycling point for them?

Some were so pitted from being in the mud that I could tell it was steel Tulammo and it looked like 7.62 but didn't spend a lot of time cleaning it. The copper bullet was nice and shinny though. :D Most of the .22lr I picked up looked good enough to shoot, so I'll probably just fire it to use it the next time I have a .22 with me.

So what are some of the options for found live ammunition? I do not have any equipment that will let me extract the bullet, so that isn't an option even if I was inclined to buy a bullet hammer and wack it silly on the concrete like I see on videos... that just seems so, um, how lucky do you feel kinda for some reason. :D

Mike

I have a couple small boxes of live rounds from cleanups. Don't like the idea of tossing into the garbage because I imagine the bulldozer at the transfer station setting them off.

So I'd like to hear some ideas as well.

I actually do use a bullet hammer and "wack them silly". :) Never had an issue with it yet. the cases i then spray heavily with WD40 to deactivate the primer and throw them away. The powder i either do the same with or put it in a line and impress my nephews with it. and the bullet itself... i actually throw them away too or give to a buddy that melts them down.

When we collect live rounds from clean ups I take pliers to the bullet, which goes in the lead bin that I give to folks that cast, dump the powder in water, and the primed case in oil. Usually toss the case after a while.

Another easy way to deal with it is to walk into your local police department and forfeit it.

It's better to act dumb about it to, say you were cleaning up an area in the woods.

Darn, we stopped burning stuff in our back yard here in Hillsboro a long time ago, so that option is out. :D

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. If I get enough of them I'll decide what to do with them then... although from what some people have said about them, it isn't worth bending over to pick up a dropped Tulammo round. :)

Mike

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top