JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Afternoon,

I recently inherited a antique gun. It takes a black powder cartridge. I'm working towards getting it in shooting shape. Meanwhile I thought it may not be a bad idea to get a muzzle loader in the same caliber. That way all my cleaning gear will match. Plus I can get used to shooting something besides my 150y gun.

I've seen some new .50 caliber guns pretty cheap, but may go even cheaper if I can find a used one.

I have a 1863 Sharps Carbine. If shoots the 50/70. Am I right that if I get a 50 cal muzzle loader it will be the same gear to clean? Anything to avoid in a used one? I'm just researching this idea. My Wife is not on board with me making my own 50/70s it even shooting this old beauty. But I may win her over with a newer gun first.
Basically I'm looking for advice on an entry level muzzle loader before I ruin my antique carbine.
Thanks,
One Tough Quaker

9128BB50-68CA-43A0-8BB6-FC18F594C997.jpeg

Afternoon,

I recently inherited a antique gun. It takes a black powder cartridge. I'm working towards getting it in shooting shape. Meanwhile I thought it may not be a bad idea to get a muzzle loader in the same caliber. That way all my cleaning gear will match. Plus I can get used to shooting something besides my 150y gun.

I've seen some new .50 caliber guns pretty cheap, but may go even cheaper if I can find a used one.

I have a 1863 Sharps Carbine. If shoots the 50/70. Am I right that if I get a 50 cal muzzle loader it will be the same gear to clean? Anything to avoid in a used one? I'm just researching this idea. My Wife is not on board with me making my own 50/70s it even shooting this old beauty. But I may win her over with a newer gun first.
Basically I'm looking for advice on an entry level muzzle loader before I ruin my antique carbine.
Thanks,
One Tough Quaker

View attachment 652415
Some people have ALL the LUCK!!!

An original 50-70 Sharps will have a larger bore diameter than a .50 caliber muzzleloader. .515-.522 (or more) for the Sharps vice an even (give or take) .50 for a modern manufactured muzzleloader. Assuming a traditional muzzleloader, one cleans from the breech vice the muzzle which necessitates a slightly different set up. Basically, one cleaning rod will work, but you'll need different cleaning jags. Not that big a deal.

As for which muzzleloader to get, you need to tell us what you intend to do with it.

Thanks, that is already helpful. As far as what I intend to do with a muzzle loader, I guess just plunk around. I want to shoot the carbine and thought two would be more fun than one. The 50/70 are like $3 each. I can learn to make them. But while I'm learning that I may be fun to have something else I can shoot cheaper. I see some overlap with what I have an a black powder gun. Maybe more in common than if I were to get a regular rifle. If I do learn to make my own 50/70 making some balls would be a good intro.

I'm more historian than shooter. I'd love to shoot a flint lock KY rifle. I've looked at a couple kits. But for starters I think something low end is fine just to get me into it. I shot BP in scouts a long long time ago. I'm not far from a place I can shoot. My boy is 15y so he can come too. We'd have more fun with something we can shoot several times without dipping into his college fund. Lol

thanks again,

One Tough Quaker

Since the Sharps folks are still in business, you might want to check with them. I believe they're in Big Timber, Montana. At least they were. They might also be able to supply you with a few rounds of ammo. Reloading will require a special set of Dies, which the Big Timber folks might also be able to supply. But before you consider shooting the Carbine you really should have it checked out by a good Gunsmith.

Since the Sharps folks are still in business, you might want to check with them. I believe they're in Big Timber, Montana. At least they were. They might also be able to supply you with a few rounds of ammo. Reloading will require a special set of Dies, which the Big Timber folks might also be able to supply. But before you consider shooting the Carbine you really should have it checked out by a good Gunsmith.
I am looking for a proper gunsmith. I did find a guy out east who is a sharps expert and will take it to him. But I'm looking for an Oregon guy too. I took it to a guy in NJ but he didn't know much. I won't shoot it until I get the all clear from two guys There is a place buffalo arms that sells the 50/70 $75 for 20 of them. I'm just wanting to fill my itch while I'm waiting. Lol. I've kind of been obsessing over the carbine since dad gave it to me. A cheap BP may be a good starting place for me as a beginner

You have gotten some good advice on your Sharps...
As for a muzzleloading rifle...
What are you wanting to do with it...?
And do you want a flintlock or a percussion rifle..?

.50 caliber is a good all around caliber...its plenty big enough for deer , elk and bear...
It hits a gong with a nice ring too...:D
That said my favorite is .54 caliber...

Most off the shelf flintlocks are okay...but ...
The locks can be a bit finicky...if you go for a off the shelf production flintlock gun....I'd suggest a Brown Bess Musket replica or a Northwest tradegun replica....the lock set on most of these guns , that I have seem , seem, a bit more true to form and have a better lock geometry ...
To be honest in a flintlock....in the long run , you are better off with a custom gun , in my view.

Now with a percussion gun its a bit better in regards to lock works and such...
Far more to choose from for off the self models...

I do wish I was closer....I'd let you shoot one of my guns....:D
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

I thing gong shooting is right up my ally!
I'm open minded for a starter. Flint appeals to me, I'd have to find my own. I'm quite the rock hound. I may have a percussion cap shotgun worth fixing. but again it's antique

I just want to get out there. The Sharps has inspired me. But I don't want to ruin it. So a fun used shooter as I hone my skill would be perfect.
I like better the idea on making bullets, loading the powder. I think I'll enjoy the process. I think I want a beater to start.
I'm not seeing any for sale used, they got to be out there. Maybe the first time I load and shoot it shouldn't be on a heirloom. Lol

thanks. That carbine is a great way to make friends.

Well most of the ones in that picture are antique and some I still shoot.
Shooting a antique muzzleloader ain't bad...but one does need to exercise some common sense in regards to loads , stock strength , lock wear and tear etc...
I like to shoot my originals...but not as a everyday shooter...I have others for that...

Hitting a gong at 100 yards with a flintlock or any other muzzleloader is a real treat and fun to do.
Andy

I don't know much about your sharps, besides that I'd love to shoot it!
You're a bit distant, but if you make it up to Portland ever, I'd let you shoot my muzzleloader.

IMG952757.jpg 20190510_150625.jpg

I am well versed in Sharps rifles. And I am in Oregon.
I'd like to get her checked out. I won't have her here until March.

The million dollar (or more like $500) question is how much to clean her.

You can see she's missing the tang screws. And there is a chunk of wood knocked out there too. I see I can get the screws from a place called s&s

Where are you? I'm at the coast but get around. I defiantly want it looked at. See it it's shootable and what should be done to maintain.
Thanks,

Some people have ALL the LUCK!!!
I don't know, I just inherited some darned fine firearms including a cherry DWM Luger, unfired Smith 27-2 ,literally 2 pickup loads of ham radio gear, a ton of reloading gear, a bunch of ammo and a cartridge collection that would make many collectors drool....and I don't feel so lucky, I would rather still have my dad than his stuff (as cool as it is).

Lol. Reading my post i may not have been clear. The question of how much the rifle should be cleaned is debatable. I think it need some cleaning, but I don't want to do something that makes it lose value. It's not for sale but I'm valuing it around $2000, I'd hate to polish $500 of that away. But at the same time she's dirty.

I don't know, I just inherited some darned fine firearms including a cherry DWM Luger, unfired Smith 27-2 ,literally 2 pickup loads of ham radio gear, a ton of reloading gear, a bunch of ammo and a cartridge collection that would make many collectors drool....and I don't feel so lucky, I would rather still have my dad than his stuff (as cool as it is).
You posted at the same time as me. I'm not lol your story.
I'm lucky dad's still around, he's just cleaning up. This would be a lot less fun otherwise. I certainly wasn't laughing at you. I'm sure your dad would want you to enjoy it.

You posted at the same time as me. I'm not lol your story.
I'm lucky dad's still around, he's just cleaning up. This would be a lot less fun otherwise. I certainly wasn't laughing at you. I'm sure your dad would want you to enjoy it.

I didn't think you were laughing at my story, and congrats on the cool rifle! That is a much better way to get items. I am making sure all his stuff is enjoyed and goes to a good home. Funny what KKG said, I was just discussing with a doctor friend of mine as he was admiring some of the old tube driven amps that I got and said "man you scored!" and then realized what he said and that no item is worth trading a family member for. Even though we are all really just caretakers for the next owner.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top