JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Received my PPQ today!
Man the trigger break and reset on this thing is PHENOMENAL!! So crisp and short! I cannot wait to take it out to the range! Maybe I'll try to write a short review on it.

DSC_00201.jpg

and the test target

IMG_20120213_142925.jpg

please excuse my horrible photography skills

I'm excited for you. I think this pistol and Walther in general are under sold and under rated. I've heard lots of good things about the PPQ although I have not had the chance to shoot one myself (although I've pulled the trigger at Northwest Armory a time or two) Did you get the 9 or the .40? Where did you purchase? Update after some trigger time please. I'd be willing to trade some trigger time on a Sig or a P99c.

DSC00783.jpg

... I have the P99 in 9. This has been a very reliable handgun so far, though the round count is still low ...760. Other P99 owners - 1st and 2nd generation - have thousands of rounds and not much to report. As the PPQ is considered the next gen of Walther handguns, you should have many years and rounds of ownership.

I've certainly had no range failures, except for the ones deliberately induced during training. I also use dummy rounds/snap caps for dry fire practice.

Before I took the P99 to the range, I did disassemble just to make sure that there were no surprises.

I read somewhere that the P99 was designed for NATO ammo, which I have yet to try. But the implication there was for a 124 gr. bullet; although I did recently learn that the original NATO spec for 9mm is 112gr, possibly for the earlier P-38?

The first 200 rounds were Remington UMC 115gr. MC (L9MM3); followed by 50 rounds of Magtech 124 gr FMC (800507 L-1709), followed by 50 rounds Winchester 147 gr FMJ (X9MMSU2). This for me, made me think that the springs n things has been settled and a break in period had been achieved. I've also had 50 rounds of reload - 115gr tmj 9mm from Skagit Shooting Sports, a father and daughter reload company. No issues with these reloads.

So for me, I found a factory brand (Remington) that I can use for regular range practice, along with so far, reliable, reload, for cheaper $$.

For carry, I've switched to using Buffalo Bore 124gr JHP (24E), in place of the Federal Hydra-Shok; I've put two magazines through and have been pleased with the felt managed recoil and no effect on the P99. Definitely not rounds that I want to use a lot at the range, but a mag or two a month is good.

As already mentioned, night sights are recommended and I chose the Trijicon night sights (WP01). Just a few dollars more over the Meprolight green dots (MPL18800). I haven't installed mine yet, but doing so is relatively easy for DIY. Another option is a laser sight and I’m looking at the Laserlyte V3 (LLFSL-3) and the bigger Viridian LASC5 (muy $$). Just a thought for defense and there are plenty of threads on that discussion of laser sights.

And lastly, buy more mags. Reloading two mags at a range is … tedious. Be sure to buy the Walther PPQ mags from Walther or from gunborker.com. Don’t settle for the other brands.

Much of above should apply to your PPQ, but, it's your handgun so enjoy the comments.

A well worn xd trigger that is cleaned and lubed is about as good as I had seen on a striker poly gun but what little exposure I've had to the PPQ I'd say it's as good as the xd and with a little use should be better than any xd than doesn't have a custom trigger job.

I was VERY impressed

PPQ magazines
You can buy the <broken link removed> for a lot less than the Walther versions. Same mag, just wth MR marking on the base plate. I have run 4 of these mags with my PPQ in IDPA and no issues. i would advise against ProMag mags, lots of issues reported and observed.

Picked one up a month ago. Shot very little due to weather, but love the hell out of it. It is a .40 S&W and I intended on getting one in 9mm with threaded barrel. Installed a front night sight from Mepro. Not as easy as everyone has said. First, you better have the tool or be willing to make one (It's what I did). Furthermore the hex nut did not screw all the way down into the sight. Leaving the sight very loose. So it forced me to use a #6 steel lock washer plus blue locktite of course. Now its installed and tight as a frog ***. No clearance issues to report. I went with just the front install to try out something Sheriff Jim Wilson once said. "Too many silly dots to line up when things go sideways." Makes sense really. I am also doing this to a S&W 1911 that I love dearly and Novak is doing the install as we speak. Sometimes it pays to have a professional do the job.

Anyway in the next month I hope to really have some fun with the PPQ and maybe put up a report from an average joe. Also one note, holsters are not out for this particular pistol. But if the maker made one for the P99 it will fit the PPQ fine in most cases.

PPQ holsters: I picked up an IWB CrossBreed style from MK Tactical in Hillsboro for my PPQ, and fits my P99 also. For OWB I have a Safariland model 568-54 which fits the P99 and PPQ.
Front sight: I just installed a red fiber optic front and will black out the rear stock white dots to see if I get improved target acquisition.

I'm getting one in the next couple weeks. Plan on using it as my carry weapon, though I won't be going in for my permit until the beginning of April. Good capacity, great trigger and ergonomics for quick follow up shots. Should be perfect. I'm hoping I can find it locally, but will special order it if need be.

I also just LOVE the look of these pistols. My god, this gun would just be effing EVIL with a veridian laser on it...GAH now I gotta go adjust my budget to see if it's feasible... :D