JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title states, ive picked up an outstanding old school Marlin 45/70. Question is: did i get a good deal, and how do you source the manufacturing date? I read that you subtract the first 2 numbers from 2000 which are 24. Would that make it a 1976? I paid $850 for it. I will post pics tomorrow.

Here she is. Do you guy's think that $850 is fair?

20210330_204402.jpg 20210330_204349.jpg 20210330_204341.jpg 20210330_204332.jpg

I wonder about the scope setup. Looks uncomfortable in pics . Might look at some skinner sights if you want a proper open sights option.

One box of ammo, but my cousin traded me 100 rounds for some 9mm so I'm all set. I'm not sure what to think about the scope setup yet. I haven't got a chance to shoot yet. Luckily there isn't much to changing the setup. As for the question on the manufacturing date, am i accurate with that guess?

You're correct 24 is the numeric code designation for 1976. Those earlier guns are worth a premium. You did good. Scope set up is what works best for you. My 1895GS has a scout set up that I really like.

You're correct 24 is the numeric code designation for 1976. Those earlier guns are worth a premium. You did good. Scope set up is what works best for you. My 1895GS has a scout set up that I really like.

Could you post up a picture? I don't like the idea of a red dot on this one, and just mounted a scope i already had. The open sight already on it will probably work just fine if i don't like the scope. We shall see.

The open sight already on it will probably work just fine if i don't like the scope. We shall see.
A 'Buckhorn' as is already on it is not conducive to quality shooting and the accuracy you can expect out of your rifle.

Consider a receiver 'peep' sight. There are several available but the best for cost Vs. quality is the Williams WGRS-336 which I have on my Henry and is designed specifically for your rifle.

I have my sight configured differently in that I have reversed the windage slider to mount the sight in reverse so it would not 'hang' off the rear of the receiver but it will fit your Marlin properly.

IMG_0954[1].JPG

Good looking piece of history you have there.

Back in the late 90's I swung by a garage sale in Ketchikan, AK and a guy had an old Marlin 45/70 guide gun leaned up against the wall. He wanted a cool $50 for it. It was early in my Coast Guard career so money was tight. Like a fool, I walked back to the truck to ask my wife if I should buy it and when I got my OK, I turned around and watched some other lucky bastage holding it and handing $50 to the seller. I wake up in a cold sweat some nights wondering what the hell was I thinking that day....:(

Thanks for all of the amazing feedback everybody! I felt good about the deal, but you never can be sure. I missed out on 7 others in the last 3 months, so i was pumped!

Back in the late 90's I swung by a garage sale in Ketchikan, AK and a guy had an old Marlin 45/70 guide gun leaned up against the wall. He wanted a cool $50 for it. It was early in my Coast Guard career so money was tight. Like a fool, I walked back to the truck to ask my wife if I should buy it and when I got my OK, I turned around and watched some other lucky bastage holding it and handing $50 to the seller. I wake up in a cold sweat some nights wondering what the hell was I thinking that day....:(
Always always always.
It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.

Or
...I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission

Better to ask forgiveness than permission in these cases. Been there brother, learned. Lol.