JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Firearm Related Project Should I Complete For The Week Ending 1/15/21

• Clean rust off backstrap of new to me Model 29 revolver.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Attempt to convert 10mm case to 40 S&W case.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Make wife happy by removing ammo & reloading components from dining table, treadmill and living room

Votes: 27 79.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
I need a little motivation to complete literally hundreds of firearm related projects/tasks on my list of things to do.

I am a serious overachiever when it comes to procrastinating and I have a very short attention span. I get bored of focusing on one project for any great length of time.

I am testing out the idea of asking NWFA members to help decide what project(s) I should do in a given week. I will do my very best to complete at least the top voted project/task in the poll above by 1/15/21.

I hope this idea will encourage others who have a long list of firearm related projects, to work on them as well. If it does feel free to post your progress in this thread. If you have ideas on how to tackle long project lists please share those as well. Thanks for you help.

Poll is open one day only.

I voted to remove the rust off the back strap of your model 29 .

As far as tips for this project goes...
I'd remove the grips...and lightly hit the rust with CLP and or KROIL , then remove using Bronze wool , again lightly.
( As a guess here...tough to say for sure , without seeing the area on the gun )
Andy

If you have ideas on how to tackle long project lists please share those as well.
if making your Sweet Bride happy can actually happen by moving some of your trinkets around, that could easily make your efforts to become more organized far more coherent; as it is, personal observation warns there is a moving set of behavioral perimeters when dealing with 'spousal happiness'. Good luck and report your results.

On another level, case trimming as you mention is a waste of time.
And given if 'surface rust' really IS the issue, leave it alone long enough and it will become pitting & worse. Why bother? Sure, we all know THIS answer....
I detect a bit of whimsy in your theoretical choices. Prioritizing my own list now limits me to only a few choices per day to fret about. Good luck.

So the wife was home for lunch yesterday and watching the show Hoarders. The daughter of the poor old guy on the show was sending him to a retirement home because his house was going to cost too much to repair. My wife was going back and forth watching the show and looking at my stuff. So I asked her if she was planning on sending me to a home. She said not yet.

Since I don't expect the voting trend of cleaning up my mess to go the way of Trumps leads in the battle ground States, I am going to post before pictures now. I will make a big effort to get-r-done by the end of the weekend. After pictures might be Monday.

20210109_072625.jpg 20210109_072719.jpg 20210109_072916.jpg

It may or may not seem like a lot of stuff to some but my safe space in garage is already tightly packed. I am going to need a shoe horn to pack it all in or fill my car up:) I should be doing more selling and less buying/trading for a while, but dang there are so many good deals and trades have come my way.

Lemme help you get all three done today:
Choice 1: If you don't have any bronze wool, you can find it at PCH Cables in Hillsboro. Call first, and it is not cheap.
Choice 2: I have 40S&W to trade for your 10mm.
Choice 3: You call that a mess? Ba ha ha ha ha!!! 3-4 clear plastic tubs from BiMart. Just remember to inventory what goes into each tub. The horizontal dispersion filing method is the bane of my existence.

Finally, motivation is one of those things that really helps a project git'r done. I have three sleeves of Federal Small Magnum Pistol primers for you if you get all your tasks done this weekend.

My job is finishing the reorg of the garage and tiling the tub walls. Yet, here I am on NWFA....

Lemme help you get all three done today:
Choice 1: If you don't have any bronze wool, you can find it at PCH Cables in Hillsboro. Call first, and it is not cheap.
Choice 2: I have 40S&W to trade for your 10mm.
Choice 3: You call that a mess? Ba ha ha ha ha!!! 3-4 clear plastic tubs from BiMart. Just remember to inventory what goes into each tub. The horizontal dispersion filing method is the bane of my existence.

Finally, motivation is one of those things that really helps a project git'r done. I have three sleeves of Federal Small Magnum Pistol primers for you if you get all your tasks done this weekend.

My job is finishing the reorg of the garage and tiling the tub walls. Yet, here I am on NWFA....
That is a very generous offer with the primers but if I get the mess cleaned up I will be out of the woods and the other two can sit for a while longer. Thanks for the offer though.

I have piles of 40 brass, the 10mm conversion project is about having large primer pocket 40 brass. It's a project that can wait but I was seriously contemplating spending $350 on a pile of 10mm brass and I probably won't do it if I can't make some of it in to 40 brass. I shouldn't be blowing that much on pistol brass anyways.

{Note: Focused Old Geezer Story related somehow to OP post}
About 20 years ago I was getting to know a Senior Older Geezer, fairly recently a widower, in my favored Cowboy Action Match routine. He was from N Central Oregon between the High Desert & the Columbia River, at least 3 hour drive from our home range. He cast boolits & always had Good Deals on his products.

As I got to know him over the years, now & then he'd spin a fabulous story related somehow to Cowboy Action. He startled me & a buddy one day, talking about how happy he was now that his wife had died. Waiting for an appropriate moment to inquire on this comment, he smiled readily and explained to the effect, that his wife of some 50+ years had never relented on some of her fastidious housekeeping rules. Now she was gone, he said, he was quite pleased to find how convenient it was to have moved his whole reloading & bullet making set up, into his front room.;) He had a small place and it was otherwise too cold & windy part of the year, to attend to his favored hobby in the outbuildings. He seemed authentic & happy, and turned out great cowboy boolits. I lost track of him over the years but his memory brings a smile. No treadmill involved.

So the wife was home for lunch yesterday and watching the show Hoarders. The daughter of the poor old guy on the show was sending him to a retirement home because his house was going to cost too much to repair. My wife was going back and forth watching the show and looking at my stuff. So I asked her if she was planning on sending me to a home. She said not yet.

Since I don't expect the voting trend of cleaning up my mess to go the way of Trumps leads in the battle ground States, I am going to post before pictures now. I will make a big effort to get-r-done by the end of the weekend. After pictures might be Monday.

View attachment 804671View attachment 804672View attachment 804673

It may or may not seem like a lot of stuff to some but my safe space in garage is already tightly packed. I am going to need a shoe horn to pack it all in or fill my car up:) I should be doing more selling and less buying/trading for a while, but dang there are so many good deals and trades have come my way.
Bimart has shelves on sale......just sayin. I even have one for ya if ya need. I'm kinda in the same boat especially the procrastinating and borderline hoarder. I have brass, bullets, ammo, mags and parts for firearms I dont have but someday someone will come along needing it so there is that. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it........

Bimart has shelves on sale......just sayin. I even have one for ya if ya need. I'm kinda in the same boat especially the procrastinating and borderline hoarder. I have brass, bullets, ammo, mags and parts for firearms I dont have but someday someone will come along needing it so there is that. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it........
I have one of those mini pallet rack looking shelves. My safe space is only about 12×12, I just have too much stuff.

[QUOTE="I just have too much stuff...
[/QUOTE]
Do you need psychic intervention or a quick dump run? I've got a wheelbarrow or 3 of stuff to contribute, too good to just throw out. Not good enuff to stimulate an offer to buy...

View attachment 804671View attachment 804672View attachment 804673

Progress is being made.

20210109_191608.jpg

As a positively militant anti-clutter-ist (I think that is a word), I was tempted to go with number 3. (How I so loathe crap left out.)

But, no, a Model 29 needs TLC. The most beautiful of revolvers, with lots o' power, bowling pins and metallic silhouettes sent flying, useful in the hunting field, and punks questioned as to their degree of luck in the most efficacious of way; all in one handy package. :s0155:

Share your pain time.
I did a big purge this last October, and I know that ridiculous little voice in the back of the brain.
"Don't throw THAT away, it's olive drab canvas! It's only got a couple holes in it ."

"Those flashlight warranty cards and instructions are just paper, you have plenty of room for paper "

" if you keep that .25acp magazine for just one more measly decade you will find a gun that matches, I promise. "

Good job cleaning up , brother.

As a positively militant anti-clutter-ist (I think that is a word), I was tempted to go with number 3. (How I so loathe crap left out.)

But, no, a Model 29 needs TLC. The most beautiful of revolvers, with lots o' power, bowling pins and metallic silhouettes sent flying, useful in the hunting field, and punks questioned as to their degree of luck in the most efficacious of way; all in one handy package. :s0155:
Beauty!

20210109_194235.jpg

Beast!

20210109_194249.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews