JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently, one of the gun-rags I subscribe to had a review on a Picatinny rail attachment that clamped on the bayonet lug of an AR. I even remember the price at 57.00, but now cannot relocate that review, including the manufacture/retail source.

Some of you AR freaks may be able to help, if you keep up on the Barbie doll stuff.

Thanks.

Thanks, Dale. (Heh-Heh!)

I believe that's the little bugger I saw. If I recall from the review, (and from pics I see on CDP's website), allen set-screws at the rear serve to clamp it securely (true?). Pluses and Minuses in practical use?

I can't believe these were not manufactured before so recently (maybe they were, but the review I read talked as if it was a new idea).

Upon further inspection (and reading customer reviews on CDP site), I see the allen screws actually go into the sling swivel pivot holes (requires removal of my underbarrel swivel). Best option for repositioning sling? Does my original swivel attach to the CDP BLAM with the loops, and how?

My gun is a DPMS AP-4. I'm not an "operator" wannabe: its my coyote gun.

PA120149_zps83ae421a.jpg

The "BLAM" slides on like a bayonet and is secured by two screws. You must remove the front sling loop, just drill slowly on the cupped side. one small allen secures it through swivel hole and a set screw tightens it up. As a sling mount it works great just use a mash or HK style hook on either the left or right. The only downside is that the whole unit has a slight upward cant to it. Makes adjusting a laser a little more difficult but will work fine for anything else. Once mounted it is very solid.

This product is the only one like it, and it is very well machined and finished.

I understand the slight upward cant is for synchronizing a light to the bullet travel at shorter ranges. I would be more interested in a laser attachment, and am somewhat concerned about adjustment range within a laser: with your choice of laser (what is it?), was there adequate range of adjustment to achieve synchronization (against the built-in cant of the BLAM) at say, 50 yards (or practical ranges at which a laser can be seen and used)?

CAA also makes one that doesn't require removal of anything. I've had one on my Colt 6920 for a few years.
Bayonet Lug Mounted Picatinny Rail Aluminum Made | CAA - Command Arms Accesories

Flashlight Mount.jpg

It slides over the lug and uses a screw from the bottom to exert clamp force on the bayonet lug.

I wouldn't use it for a sling attachment as I wouldn't consider it truly weight bearing but it works very well for a light/laser. YMMV

Flashlight Mount.jpg

Thanks PhonMan,

Examining both, I selected the CDP version, as it seems more rugged with it's two-purchase attachment. Repositioning the sling with a "dog leash clip swivel" hooked to the loop version of CDP's BLAM is quite acceptable I think.

However, with some reservations, I have not purchased one for myself: rather, I victimized my Montana friend (who has the identical rifle) into being the Guinea Pig. His birthday was impending, and so I sent a BLAM to him, which will require that he now shop for a laser and find out if all this crap works so I can do it.:cool:

I have not had a chance to site in a laser with it yet, I have a TLR-4 and will see what happens, will report back later.

I noticed Thephonman's photo and the BLAM has what appears to be the same cant that the CAA product has, maybe he can confirm laser sight capability.

I only sighted my TLR2 out to ~40yards for the laser. Beyond that you pretty much can't see it (or if you can, you can't distinguish a target due to poor lighting conditions). I had plenty more room in the adjustments to move it further out so it worked well and has some weasel room for the future. I have an Aimpoint CompM4 which allows me to see both the sight's red dot and the laser when it's on and it seems to help with requisition of a target (you see two vertical dots at non-sighted distances).

A side effect is the flashlight co-witnesses perfectly at about 25 feet so anything that's lit any closer is also good to go. I wasn't too worried about the light beyond that distance since this is my CQB setup.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews