JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$150
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
City
Oregon City
State
Oregon
Used has some minor nicks and scuffs and is missing the sharpening stone but otherwise pretty darn nice.
EDIT There is a sharpening stone under the glass-reinforced plastic sheath Thanks Stomper! But the upper pistol belt attachment clamp is missing.

ew9ZV7l.jpg
1wkDagj.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
NICE!!

I have had one of these Phrobis III's since 1987 shortly after the Army adopted it. They're the "OG" (and Cadillac IMHO) of the M9 series bayonet. They're actually quite collectible as Uncle Sam contracted more "economical" iterations after the initial Phrobis III contract run was over.

There should be an embedded flat-stone on back of the glass reinforced plastic sheath under the canvass strap that's accessible by unsnapping that end open, but you're saying that's missing?

The small pouch is for holding a small folding knife (I used to have a Buck Lite folder in mine, but I broke it back in the early 90's) Is the upper pistol belt attachment clamp/secondary pommel retaining strap attachment that clicks into the Bianchi buckle half still with it?

That particular bayonet is an interesting part of history, and brings back some serious memories for me!

Here's mine on one of my shotguns... I actually carried it while on a few deployments. It holds an edge very nicely and I have used it to efficiently butcher rabbits, goats, chickens, and it also splits through deer sternums with ease.
18819F7B-CC6F-4AA0-9215-497A1BE51A19.jpeg

GLWS! :s0155:

" Is the upper pistol belt attachment clamp/secondary pommel retaining strap attachment that clicks into the Bianchi buckle half still with it?"

this is missing.

Sorry about thread hijacking, but I recently bought a Vietnam War era Colt bayonet off of GunBroker for my Colt SP-1 Sporter.
I'm not 100% sure it's an original, but everything I found online says it is, but with so many fakes out there, it's hard to tell.
One question for you bayonet experts, is that the last couple of inches of the blade near the tip is slightly bent to one side.
Is this normal, and if it isn't, how does one straighten it out, or do I risk breaking it off in the process?

Sorry about thread hijacking, but I recently bought a Vietnam War era Colt bayonet off of GunBroker for my Colt SP-1 Sporter.
I'm not 100% sure it's an original, but everything I found online says it is, but with so many fakes out there, it's hard to tell.
One question for you bayonet experts, is that the last couple of inches of the blade near the tip is slightly bent to one side.
Is this normal, and if it isn't, how does one straighten it out, or do I risk breaking it off in the process?

Shouldn't be bent.... someone in the past was probably stabbing into something harder than the old tires that were typically used.

The blades are (semi) hardened tempered steel, so you may risk snapping it off trying it in a cold blade. Possibly, the best (safest) way would be to heat the steel up to a red/orange glow with a torch localized only right at the area where the bend occurs then gently bend it back straight, and quench it while it's still cherry to help maintain the temper.

If there's any parkerized finish still left on it, it'll be toasted off so maybe it'd be best to leave it if that's a concern.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top