JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here is the best blacktail buck I ever saw while hunting in about forty years of hunting. It was visible between trees for about ten seconds. The good thing for me, as a hunter, is during that time I was able to get off the binoculars and into the scope. Getting it to the pickup took about an hour and a half.

Let's see some other's photos.

0c55df80-268e-4d12-b3a4-96de4d400c61_zps11146cc7.jpg

Nice buck, maybe you're not such a bad hunter after all.
Some recent ones between me and my brother. Many more but can't find pics or didn't take any.

100_0195.jpg

100_0267.jpg

100_0402.jpg

100_0269.jpg

deer 2011.jpg

003.JPG

004.JPG

010.JPG

Last Edited:
My .308 Ruger American Rifle w/150gr Remington Core-Lokt
image.jpg

I popped this guy (one shot, one kill) about 1.5 hrs into opening day 2013 (yes I was THAT guy everyone hates on opening day)
image.jpg image.jpg

The entry wound is right below my thumb through the ribs, the heart (what's left of it) sits just under my ring hand.
image.jpg

A bullet fragment just nicked the stomach sack, we got him cleaned out JUST in time before the rumen started really squeezing out!
image.jpg

Totally shredded heart...
image.jpg

Very tender and tasty... That reminds me, I still have one back strap in the freezer!

Last Edited:
My .308 Ruger American Rifle w/150gr Remington Core-Lokt
View attachment 220139

I popped this guy (one shot, one kill) about 1.5 hrs into opening day 2013 (yes I was THAT guy everyone hates on opening day)

The entry wound is right below my thumb through the ribs, the heart (what's left of it) sits just under my ring hand.

A bullet fragment just nicked the stomach sack, we got him cleaned out JUST in time before the rumen started really squeezing out!

Totally shredded heart...

Very tender and tasty... That reminds me, I still have one back strap in the freezer!

My wife would kill me if I ruined the heart like that, that's here favorite part to eat.

My wife would kill me if I ruined the heart like that, that's here favorite part to eat.

Although I'd eat it, I'm not much for organ meat. I'm thinking that outside longer range shots .308 may be a tad too much for blackies (in general). I've taken them just fine with single .223 heart shots (Colt AR15A2) and didn't rupture it as bad, the only issue (as I'm sure you know) is making accurate shots with .223 in heavy brush. I'm going to take my AR in 6.8SPC next season and see how that fares if I manage to get a shot.

There are numerous delicious recipes for it. Heart is actually the most lean and purest muscle in the body. I've personally come across gut piles with the heart left behind… kind of breaks my heart to see it wasted, Though in lots of cases, I'm sure scavengers will eat it

Although I'd eat it, I'm not much for organ meat. I'm thinking that outside longer range shots .308 may be a tad too much for blackies (in general). I've taken them just fine with single .223 heart shots (Colt AR15A2) and didn't rupture it as bad, the only issue (as I'm sure you know) is making accurate shots with .223 in heavy brush. I'm going to take my AR in 6.8SPC next season and see how that fares if I manage to get a shot.

Unfortunately, in WA we have to use something 6mm or larger so .223 is a no go except for varmints and yotes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top