JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering, because I'm prone to that kind of thing, but is there or would there be much interest in a professional photographer shooting (pun intended) the shooters in action?

It seems a valid question. I worked major media for many years on the MX series, and I know even off season guys (and girls) would ask for ride shots done really nice from one rider to another. Since I'm a shooter, I wouldn't make some cheesy photo poses or maybe miss things that a non shooter would and the fact that live rounds are firing doesn't bother me as a rule... Although I would need to weed out a few squirrels.

I'm not cheap, but I so really, really good work. And again, just wondering, not trying to sell anything...

Check with the match directors; Some events do not allow recording, without prior approval.

Offering the service seem to make sense to me, as with many hobbies, it is hard to get pictures while participating.

Thanks for the insight

I am sorry, I didn't mean to crap on your thread. I guess that was just my way of saying I would like to see some of the pictures you have taken if you have some to share?

I think there could definitely be some interest for your photography. Again, i apologize for my previous post.

Cheers!

Pig

No worries. I'm just pondering some ideas. I know how much people liked what I've done with MX. Much of my work was published in major media for several years. I don't see why 'action' shots (assuming I don't get shot) won't translate with my particular skill set. I'm good at finding points where a moving object will not hit me if it were to run astray (ie: crash... Only got run over a couple of times). Still there would need to be an interest, so maybe I will just play with some friends for a while or check with the Match Director as suggested.

I appreciate the comments though.

I could be wrong but I think the issue here might be cost.

You would have to find the right price point. Most guys are out shooting for fun. When they are out doing that, especially with ammo prices, the thought of increasing the price of that "shooting" by paying $$/$$$ for pics may not be that appealing.

As I said I could be wrong, but I know that is how most of the people I shoot with are. Also in my group we have a few decent shooter with "prosumer" level cameras. I know this is not the same as professional but for the cost difference it is "good enough".

That sounds like a pretty decent idea if the range/match/participants allow it. You could possibly do what a local photographer does for the drag racers. Goes to the race, or test & tune weekends, takes some nice shots, then at the next meet shows them to the participants and asks if you want any copies made. I think he charges like $10 for an 8x10 photo or something. Probably similar to what you mentioned doing for MX.

That sounds like a pretty decent idea if the range/match/participants allow it. You could possibly do what a local photographer does for the drag racers. Goes to the race, or test & tune weekends, takes some nice shots, then at the next meet shows them to the participants and asks if you want any copies made. I think he charges like $10 for an 8x10 photo or something. Probably similar to what you mentioned doing for MX.

A digital photog with a laptop or iPad could show pics now/today at the event. Granted, they're not cropped or manipulated (yet), but a lot of that can be done while a potential customer is standing right there. Perhaps on-hand examples of custom processing, slide shows, award plaques, print sizes and prices, etc., might generate some sales on the spot. Strike while the iron is hot... so to speak.

I go to events all the time and shoot them for free because I enjoy doing it.

I'm no pro, but I think I do "okay", especially considering my cost.

I'm thinking about buying a new camera body just to shoot the Albany Machinegun shoot coming up in May. Maybe a 7D. dunnoh yet..

If you figure out a business plan and need a second shooter up north, let me know!

I make this ugly Bastard look good!

20130420-LU4C0129-2-L.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews