JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just ranting, but my wife has repeatedly gotten phone calls lately from either a blocked number or it shows up as 002. Is getting really annoying. It's an Indian sounding guy who she says sounds like the same guy every time. He's told her that her computer has malicious software on it and he's from Microsoft. She's told him she doesn't have a computer(even though we do). We've told them do not call anymore and it still keeps happening. Anyone else having this issue? I've googled it and it seems like its happened to a lot of people. It's obviously some sort of scam but other than not answering it, we haven't had any luck getting it to stop. Grrrr

When your wife answers have her say "Please wait while I transfer your call", then have her hand the phone to you. You say "Federal Bureau of Investigation, Fraud Division. Special Agent Murphy speaking. Can I please have your name, your company's name, your supervisors name and contact information..."

It won't help, but the guy might 5h!t his pants

You can pretend you're an agent, fart loudly into the phone, cuss them out, flush toilets or whatever. But that will only amuse the "caller," if it's not just a recording. The object of those assinine calls is identify who's naive enough to actually surrender names, bank/credit info, SSNs (even just the last 4), addresses, etc. All pieces that can be used to assemble a fake identity based on tiny snippets of your personal data. Sadly, our aging parents are prime targets for stuff like this.

Another nice bit of info gets collected when you simply answer a call from an autodialer. You're confirming that it's a live number with a human at your end. Then your working phone number is added to a list of thousands and sold - to be further exploited by offshore (and domestic) operators who're completely immune to the impotent US Do-Not-Call registry.

It's a damn shame that Obama and his guffawing jester Joe Bidet can't put Eric Holder to some good use, leaving us alone and instead tracking where those calls are coming from in order to target some drone strikes. But they'll continue to use the resources (that we fund) to cover up Fast & Furious, IRS and Benghazi f_ups while telephonic identity theives continue to enjoy full reign.

If I don't know a caller, I don't answer.

Last Edited:
Yep Yep Yep, get them all the time. They usually come with being from "Windows". Full on phone #s come up including area code, 999-999-9999 ,a general mix of #s, 1937283331, you name it. It was interesting taking them serious one time. They take you deep into your computer and you find all these terrible errors, pages of them! Then they tell you you need to go through and delete all of the errors.

The scam, of course, is once they get you convinced you puter is very close to death and you're in danger losing ALL your vital info with it crashing into horrible, fiery heap.....They will get you to let them remotely access your puter, fix it and pay for it with a credit card!

There's a YouTube video of a guy taking them all the way. Anymore all I do is laugh, and suggest they Google "Windows phone scam", and that they're all over the internet and people are well aware of their scam. And I'll call them idiots for continuing with the scam. I used to get mad, no more though.....Got one of them so mad he said FU and hung up on ME!

Wifey says next time they call I need to say "Come on! You and I BOTH know your name isn't SAM! I'm looking forward to it!

Mike

I got the same call also, and when I get others calls like this, this is what I do. I have one of those compressed air can boat horns, I keep it in a drawer next to the phone. Then I lead them on like I am interested and then I blast the boat horn in the speaker, you know they are using a head set so it kills their ears. I have never gotten a call back after I do this. :D

Save number into contacts, name them PITA1 and so on.
From contacts just have the call go straight to voice mail. They never leave a message and the phone doesn't ring.

Save number into contacts, name them PITA1 and so on.
From contacts just have the call go straight to voice mail. They never leave a message and the phone doesn't ring.

Won't work like that, the same calls come from different numbers frequently. I've probably seen ten different numbers in the last three months, besides I've come to enjoy laughing at them. Any time that bazaar number comes up on ID, I go for it!

Usually a different number will call back immediately, save to contacts, straight to voice mail.
Usually stops after the second time.
I was getting hammered this week with this crap. Haven't gotten any more calls since Wednesday.

If I don't know a caller, I don't answer.
^^Best practice and my policy too.

I even add those numbers to my contact list as scammers/telemarketing so I know not to answer on reflex.

If it is an important call, they will leave a voice mail.

Do not call registry only works with non-scammers.

The microsoft support calls are scams - common ones.

Essentially they either want to charge you for nothing, or they want you to put some of their software on your computer.

It is NOT M$ - M$ does not make support calls.

Same here, if there is no caller id I don't answer on the cell. Our home phone is set up as broadband will only take incoming calls with no caller I'd so we just hang up. Going to try that air horn next time though....

I'm not convinced that an offending caller's phone (which is only capable of producing finite volume) can suddenly produce an alarming amount of extra noise sufficient to rattle cages at their end when you do something really loud on the phone in your house.

But I am sure those professional *ssholes have already seen/heard every trick in the book - except for a precise airstrike (in a perfect world).

Same here, if there is no caller id I don't answer on the cell. Our home phone is set up as broadband will only take incoming calls with no caller I'd so we just hang up. Going to try that air horn next time though....

I'll use them to get me a laugh. If I'm into something else at the time I'll not answer.

I've got an idea though.....Next time I'll tell "Sam" that they were right all this time and my puter had a complete meltdown! Yeah, that's it......I don't have a computer anymore and it's going to be AT LEAST a month before I can afford to buy another one. Do you think he'll give me his number so I can call him and let him know when I'm up and running again?

My wife had the same thing happen. The guy said he was from Windows. Told them she couldn't get to the computer at that time. The next time they called she asked for a phone number to call them back. The dude gave the number. She then called Microsoft, who turned it in as a fraud call. I was shocked he gave her a phone number.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top