JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is permanently closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
I love the homespun atmosphere, large selection of guns in stock, access to the Davidson's warehouse, and family-friendly service. I just wish it weren't such a cramped shoebox. On a busy day, it can be a little crazy around the counter. They've got so many longguns sitting around on the floor behind the counter, on racks, and on shelves that you really have to be patient or know what you are looking for.

I had my picture taken in front of the Philomath Gun Shop yesterday.
It was too bad that they were closed, but I was THERE!

It was kind of a fun adventure. My Wife and I were coming home from Portland, and she asked me if I wanted to see the town of Philomath. I said SURE, and we wound up at the gun shop!

Fun little detour.

Picked up my new toy there last Thursday, a Ruger Montado. A call to Wes on the 18th and it was in on the 23rd. After a 2 1/2 hour drive I get there with 10 mins. to spare. Even while getting ready to close everyone in there was courteous and pleasant. I'll probably end up saying bye-bye to more of my money there. :D

Took a trip there after reading positive reviews (looking for kimber ultra carry). I have a Glock 27 that's like new along looking for a trade in. Fairly good sized young man with short dark brown hair asks how he can help. I point to the Kimber in the case and explain what I'm thinking about a part trade of the Glock towards the Kimber. He tells me Wes is the only one who can do that and he is gone some place but should be back later that afternoon. Can't get me any better idea than "this afternoon". OK, maybe I can call and see if there's any interest. I try calling every day for the next four days and keep getting "Wes is down at the police station", "Wes is out running errands, should be back later", "Wes is busy, and there's no guarentee he'll return a call". Finally get hooked up via phone 10 days later and explain what I have and what I want. Wes takes an honest 5 minutes to tell why the Glock is not worth much. Okay, I figured the value was low on a trade, but how much $ plus the 27 for the UC II? Five more minutes of why the UC II is worth alot. Finally I ask him if he has any interest at all in the Glock. He goes on and on about the Glock vs Kimber value. I ask him again, straight out this time and also say if there's no interest in a trade just tell me. Off he goes again with no simple yes or no. Now I've been on the phone for almost 20 minutes. Finally I just hung up. Geez! Traded the 27 on SW M$P to another gun store. No more Wes, no more Philomath Gun Shop.

Philomath gun shop rocks! I bought my AR there last week for $100 cheaper than any other place in Oregon than I could find. Friday I will be picking up my new Sig from them as well. They have great prices on reloading supplies as well and they are more than happy to stand and bs with you.

Question: Philomath prices are for cash. If you want to pay with plastic, you have to pay extra. I have no problem with that policy personally, since a vendor has to pay a % to the card company, but isn't that a violation of the credit card company policies? I'm linking the following, with the caveat that I'm not vouching for its accuracy. Scroll down to "Extra Charge for Using a Credit Card."

Financial Guide: MERCHANT CREDIT CARD ABUSES: What They Cannot Ask You To Do

Same info here: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/723060.html

And here (for Visa): http://usa.visa.com/personal/using_visa/checkout_fees/index.html

Question: Philomath prices are for cash. If you want to pay with plastic, you have to pay extra. I have no problem with that policy personally, since a vendor has to pay a % to the card company, but isn't that a violation of the credit card company policies? I'm linking the following, with the caveat that I'm not vouching for its accuracy. Scroll down to "Extra Charge for Using a Credit Card."

Financial Guide: MERCHANT CREDIT CARD ABUSES: What They Cannot Ask You To Do

Same info here: Google Answers: Credit card use fees

And here (for Visa): ConsumersUsing Visa | Report a Merchant Violation | Checkout Fees | Personal | Visa USA

Maybe a better question for the vendor?

Maybe a better question for the vendor?

Yeah, that's a fair comment. I just haven't cared enough to stir that pot, and I like 'em. Maybe I'll get around to it one day. The only recourse would be to report them to the credit card companies, and I have a big problem hassling a local small business by reporting them to a faceless multinational just to help the big distant guy beat up on my little local guy.

Yeah, that's a fair comment. I just haven't cared enough to stir that pot, and I like 'em. Maybe I'll get around to it one day. The only recourse would be to report them to the credit card companies, and I have a big problem hassling a local small business by reporting them to a faceless multinational just to help the big distant guy beat up on my little local guy.

I agree with that. I'll be using my card to buy my new gun this coming week so I'll ask if they try and add the charge. They didn't charge me anything when I used my debit card last week when I got the ar, even thoughs it's the same process and charge to the shop wether it's debit or credit.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top