JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We always named and played with the animals growing up. The cows were named Prime Rib, Hamburger, Roast Beef, even had a pritzy little cow we called Fillet. Chickens were usually %}}%head, SFB, DA - that type.
We hand fed a lot of them, had to make sure they had food and water, pens were cleaned out and had to treat each with respect. If we didn't we got the privilege of picking out our own switch .
They all tasted great!

I used to know some rural 4H families, who raised pigs to auction off at the fair. The dads were high rollers and took great pleasure in paying top dollar for their friend's animals. The idea was to end up eating another family's pet and not their own. The kids thought that was funny and enjoyed calling each other from the supper table, "Hey, Petunia's delicious! How does Elmer taste?"

Last Edited:
I named a pig "Pork Chop" and a bull "T-bone". That pig was super cool, just like a dog, when he heard me come home he'd jump up all excited to see me, I'd go over and scratch behind his ear and he'd flop on the ground and kick he feet in the air. He was hillarious, I enjoyed having him around....

...almost as much as I enjoyed eating him.

I found a helpful info graphic on where the line is between pet and food.

1615533603703.png

I used to know some rural 4H families, who raised pigs to auction off at the fair. The dads were high rollers and took great pleasure in paying top dollar for their friend's animals. The idea was to end up eating another family's pet and not their own. The kids thought that was funny and enjoyed calling each other from the supper table, "Hey, Petunia's delicious! How does Elmer taste?"

They were going to the fair, if there was one.

How does that saying go? Twenty bucks is twenty bucks.

"Hopefully they won't eat us first, well that's the plan anyway."

Now there's a fetching mental picture - A herd of carnivorous ducks overwhelming the duck rancher and eating him alive.

My neighbor (who trained as a chef) and his wife rescue farm animals - sheep, goats, a pig - you name it, they'll take it if it needs a home. I was chatting with him when the Covid mess hit, having preps on my mind, and joked with him that I just realized that they were stealth preppers - lots of fresh meat on their property.

He responded with an enigmatic smile.

I pinned up a recipe for chicken noodle soup in my chicken coop. Then I shamed my chickens when they go on strikes....

Seriously though, give them the best life possible before eating them. Ive been saying Im going to kill one of my young layers for years now but just hasn't happened. Ironically, Im a hunter... but Im also the hunter type that offers a moment of silence for every kill. You just cant truly appreciate your food until you participate in the food chains cycle of life, every creature deserves respect.

laid an egg.jpg

Depends. I'll least the neighbor's pet if it came down to my life or it's. I've also named most of the chickens I had because it was easier to relay info about exactly which one I was talking about. Even when they were chicks, there was no doubt where they would end up once the laying stopped.

My personal house pet, though, I'd have a hard time eating. Never been that hungry, hope to never be that hungry

Depends. I'll least the neighbor's pet if it came down to my life or it's. I've also named most of the chickens I had because it was easier to relay info about exactly which one I was talking about. Even when they were chicks, there was no doubt where they would end up once the laying stopped.

My personal house pet, though, I'd have a hard time eating. Never been that hungry, hope to never be that hungry

My friend and his wife named there chickens. McNuggets (from south park) Colonel Sanders, Buckancye, chicken little and Henny Penny play on words from Money Penny (007) They are still laying atm but who knows love me some McNuggets :s0112:

Food with names.
My kids got over it really quickly when they discovered how much better tasting the eggs were from the chickens they played with than anything store bought. That was the start.
One is now vegetarian, one vegan. :rolleyes: The other two *love* their porter house rare.

A college roommate(from Oregon) of my wife up and married a guy from NZ who managed a sheep station there. To him dogs were employees and the sheep were just a product. I got to laughing at the thought when she came home and told the story of her telling her husband that she wanted to have a dog for a pet. He could not understand the concept. To him, you bought a working dog, and if it didn't work out you took it behind the barn and..... . We all know how wives can be. She kept at it and got her dog. Then she wanted the dog to come into the house! Lol! Just thinking of what he must have been thinking still makes me laugh!!

Then she said she wanted to raise a lamb(s) for a pet......... Poor guy! lol And yes, they are still married and their kids have pets!

This was touched on in my other thread about my Muscovy who gave its life for my dinner. Should a farm animal be named? Does it then become a pet? In the migration off the farm, people seem to have forgot where their food actually comes from.

I try to give my animals only one bad day, even B The One and Sweetie here, life should be good, even if the final destination is the dinner table.

Enjoy these worms now, boys.
Cuz tonight Imma gonna cut your heads off !

:)

ETA
An old farmer once said...
"Once the kids name a farm animal, you're done.
You can't slaughter that animal."

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews