JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was touched on in my other thread about my Muscovy who gave its life for my dinner. Should a farm animal be named? Does it then become a pet? In the migration off the farm, people seem to have forgot where their food actually comes from.

I try to give my animals only one bad day, even B The One and Sweetie here, life should be good, even if the final destination is the dinner table.

The animal doesn't care what you call it. Probably best to have some regard for it though as we walk the same earth with these creatures, up until we eat them that is. Hopefully they won't eat us first, well that's the plan anyway. :s0145:

Names....... Breakfast, lunch, dinner, taco, roast, jerky, stew........ Only time naming would be an issue is with kids but just teach em where dinner comes from, from the start.

Edible pets. Thats why we have 2 rabbits.

Daughter loves them, but if she gets hungry enough they taste good too.

I think it depends on the animal.

some animals will always be pets, and some will always be farm animals (food)

Especially if you have kids.

But if the SHTF, it might be all game.

heck in Holomodor in Ukraine people resported to eating their own kids .

one parent responded when asked, I can always make more children as long as my wife and I survive, or something to that effect.
Ugggh, what a time

My buddy in high school had a cow named 'Oly'. His mom named it, even though she knew it was going to be food.
Every time I woul visit after the slaughter, me and my buddy would make comments like 'please pass the Oly' and 'oh man, Oly Ribs are my favorite!'. His mom would break into tears and then excuse herself.

Good times.

Girl I knew her mother and stepfather had 2 beef cattle named Yummy and Tasty. Always got a kick out if haha. He said it was a way to have a bit of satire make light out of a grieve situation and never get really attached because there names always reminded you of there outcome. But at the end of the day I'll eat my pet before I turn to cannibalism ironic one of themes name is Chowder haha. Never got to try either of those cows but they sure were plump :D

Treat them well and kill humanly! The same with wild meat.
As I've heard the native Americans gave a small prayer to the game they killed.
That may be Hollywood but it sounds good to me a way to respect the animal giving itself to make my life continue, the supermarket does away with that. Most kids nowadays don't have a clue where food comes from. Blame your schools and ignorant parents!
Gabby

This was touched on in my other thread about my Muscovy who gave its life for my dinner. Should a farm animal be named? Does it then become a pet? In the migration off the farm, people seem to have forgot where their food actually comes from.

I try to give my animals only one bad day, even B The One and Sweetie here, life should be good, even if the final destination is the dinner table.

Ida named it bob.

That may be Hollywood but it sounds good to me a way to respect the animal giving itself to make my life continue, the supermarket does away with that. Most kids nowadays don't have a clue where food comes from. Blame your schools and ignorant parents!
Gabby

I've always taught my kids that they need to eat all their meat because an animal died for them to have food to be healthy and grow strong.
We say prayers before most meals, and that the animals for giving their lives for our meal.

The orher day we had a BBQ at my parents house and as my StepDad was BBQ'n some ribs my Daughter came up to the grill and said "Thank you Mr Cow for giving your life for our meal"

Mt StepDad got s kick out of that.

But I've brought some deer home and hung them in the garage or yard and shown them.

Now were moving out to farmville and hopefully have a small farm of our own.

A while back a friend was in-between homes and I ran some beef of his on my ground. Payment was a share in one of the young beeves when butcher time rolled around.
Naming it "Ribeye" helped me in the final "transition".

This from a guy who's kept Rattlesnakes as a pet twice in my life. "Bocephus" has a marked grave on the hill, right next to a horse and a dog.

We raise a particular breed of Scottish sheep that are small and easy to handle, shed their wool naturally, don't need help birthing, and taste really good. There are two breeders groups for these sheep. There are us old timers who treat them like livestock, and mostly new comers, wannabe farmers, who treat them as pets. Both groups name them because they are registered breeding stock. Us old timers eat our breeding mistakes and surplus animals. The new comers are always trying to re-home them. Our kids love the sheep, especially in spaghetti sauce.
Ram1.jpg

Last Edited:
The animal doesn't care what you call it. Probably best to have some regard for it though as we walk the same earth with these creatures, up until we eat them that is. Hopefully they won't eat us first, well that's the plan anyway. :s0145:

Actually I think the female knows it's name.

I think it depends on the animal.

some animals will always be pets, and some will always be farm animals (food)

Especially if you have kids.

But if the SHTF, it might be all game.

heck in Holomodor in Ukraine people resported to eating their own kids .

one parent responded when asked, I can always make more children as long as my wife and I survive, or something to that effect.
Ugggh, what a time

My kids are the future, I'd let them cook me first.

Gabby

Oh, this. Life itself is an honor, treat it as such.

Ida named it bob.

We had a Muscovy named Bob, the first to go too. Bob died of misadventure, pooched a landing on the tall fence, fell back and broke his neck. That's hard for a duck but he was really dumb.

Girl I knew her mother and stepfather had 2 beef cattle named Yummy and Tasty. Always got a kick out if haha. He said it was a way to have a bit of satire make light out of a grieve situation and never get really attached because there names always reminded you of there outcome. But at the end of the day I'll eat my pet before I turn to cannibalism ironic one of themes name is Chowder haha. Never got to try either of those cows but they sure were plump :D

My sister and her kids named their two cows: Chuck and Stu!
I get a really kick out of that one. Hopefully in a few years I may get some stew out of 'em.

Our goats have names because they are workers who keep 50 acres cleaned up and looking good all year and are not meat goats.

Danger Boy
Justin Barcia
Eli Tomac
Ricky Johnson
Heather
Brittany
Barby
Bethany
Joyce
Haley
Karen (she screams all the time)

Upcoming Events