JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice, Skier! Is that thread open for brainstorming future petition ideas too, or better here or a completely new one?

Well, this thread is specific to the "Repeal the NFA" topic, and since no one ever gets off topic in threads... ;-) I think your idea could either fit into my thread or be it's own thread. I think either would work. Perhaps, either way, if new ones get discussed, and something new and good comes out of that discussion, a new thread could be started to refine the specific idea before someone submits the actual petition. (i.e. brainstorm in my thread or your new thread, then serious contenders maybe start a new thread to nail down the details). This might help keep the quality of submitted petitions high. For example, in the list of petitions I posted, there was two California related petitions, but, IMHO, one of them was more of a petition to do something (i.e. Repeal 2016-2017 California gun laws), while the other (California gun laws are unconstitutional) was more of a statement of a problem without a suggested action, and, again, IMHO, petitions should probably have a suggested action of what should be done about a problem, so we provide a more clear direction forward (i.e. We don't give them something vague like "those laws are unconstitutional," and have them some up with a "solution" like "okay, we if we just ban ALL guns and confiscate them, we won't have to worry about those gun-related laws anymore; they'll become obsolete.") ;-)

Oh, check out this draft I put together on an Amendment meant to give 2A some teeth:

Now we need to get somebody to introduce it through Congress or Article V...

Sounds pretty good. :) Might need to include something in there about an exception for convicted felons (to have a chance to get passed). Maybe, again, to get it passed, it might need to include BGCs for new sales (but specifically prohibit registration and no BCG on private sales). Thoughts?

I would imagine that it is true that we'd need to get someone to introduce stuff like this through congress, but I believe anyone can start a petition like the ones we've been discussing, and full 100,000 signatures might be helpful in getting the attention of someone in congress to introduce something into congress. (I assume that's the intent of these petitions, unless the items is something that can be done via executive order.)

Sounds pretty good. :) Might need to include something in there about an exception for convicted felons (to have a chance to get passed). Maybe, again, to get it passed, it might need to include BGCs for new sales (but specifically prohibit registration and no BCG on private sales). Thoughts?
Good point... maybe noting the authorization to prohibit for convicted felons and Adjudicated Mental Defective until rights otherwise restored, mandate for availability of such restoration process, and allow BGCs subject to No Retention of Records--three days to Approve/Delay/Deny and then BGC records purged and destroyed upon BGC completion.

How about BGCs are optional and at the discretion of the seller?

True... I'm hoping I can network with the Convention of States team and get it on their agenda, end-around that way.

I thought the Convention of States stuff was interesting, but after reading up on it, it could also be dangerous, potentially allowing for the constitution to be rewritten, which, given current political division, depending on which way it swung, could have devastating effects. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has looked into this and what their opinion is... I'm unclear on whether it could/would be a good/bad(or very bad) thing...

I thought the Convention of States stuff was interesting, but after reading up on it, it could also be dangerous, potentially allowing for the constitution to be rewritten, which, given current political division, depending on which way it swung, could have devastating effects. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has looked into this and what their opinion is... I'm unclear on whether it could/would be a good/bad(or very bad) thing...
That's why the COS petition is limited to specific subjects. They address that in a lot of their own statements...

It can be a gamble... but we also KNOW that if we keep doing what we've always done we'll get more of what we've always got, that DC no more has our interests at heart than a starving cat does those of a mouse, and that it's gonna take something Outside The Box to put the brakes on the bus before it goes over the cliff.

That's why the COS petition is limited to specific subjects. They address that in a lot of their own statements...

It can be a gamble... but we also KNOW that if we keep doing what we've always done we'll get more of what we've always got, that DC no more has our interests at heart than a starving cat does those of a mouse, and that it's gonna take something Outside The Box to put the brakes on the bus before it goes over the cliff.

Yeah, that's what I saw on the surface, but as I read more about it from other sources, legal opinions, etc, it seems that even if they say or try to limit it to specific subjects, that can all be thrown out the window, and IIRC, the last time we took what we had and tried to limit it to specific subjects, that was eventually thrown to the wind and we got the constitution we have now instead. I appreciate that, but I'm not terribly confident it would end as successfully as it did last time. Be sure and read more and exercise caution. I really wanted to support it, but I found too many concerns to do anything more than keep an eye on it... (Yes, this sounds like what I was suggesting against above, but that just shows how much concerned I became after the extra reading I did.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top