JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Probably more than a few members here with direct experience and useful info... so thanks in advance.

What does a soldier do with his/her own weapons when they opt to live in family housing on Ft. Lewis?

Further, as a civilian, if I go spend the weekend with relatives on base, what's the policy/procedure on taking some of my own target weps there?

I served 20 years and never lived on base, so it just never came up. And maybe rules about flintlocks and muskets were different then...

Military bases are their own special flowers. This is entirely wrong and unconstitutional, but until we get a ruling, my opinion means bupkis.

I lived in base housing in the 80s and the rule was that ALL personally owned weapons had to be placed in the armory and checked out "as needed." And if you were under 21, forget it, period.

Carrying a weapon onto a military base without prior approval, to my knowledge, is a serious Federal Felony. I'd love to see the ridiculous laws on this reversed, overturned, etc. But the work has never been done. Until it has, it's your ***, I wouldn't bet mine over the issue.

Tango is correct. Whenever you carry a weapon thru the gate you need the registration for it. It seems the haired don't know how to react to a cased unloaded pistol in the trunk. Some are pretty chill. I've had others actually clear it in the clearing barrel for me. The whole time carrying it like it was a nuclear bomb. Also had a gaurd try to refuse entry even with my registration.

Any personal weapon going onto a military base needs to be registered with the Provost Marshall. If your living in base housing your personal weapons are supposed to be locked up in your unit arms room until you need them for hunting, target practice, etc. Your concealed carry permit don't mean a thing on a military base, no loaded weapons in a vehicle, weapons and ammo are supposed to be separated. Some MP's and civilian security get really amped about guns.

I shoot at Range 15 a lot so I just registered everything with the PM. Takes about 10 minutes if they aren't busy. Just take the make, model number and serial number with you. Not the guns.

I figured all weps would have to be registered, unloaded, etc. They cannot stay physically in the house then, right? He has to go check them out for use?

A lot of weapons probably stay off base with friends nearby.

Tango is correct. Whenever you carry a weapon thru the gate you need the registration for it. It seems the haired don't know how to react to a cased unloaded pistol in the trunk. Some are pretty chill. I've had others actually clear it in the clearing barrel for me. The whole time carrying it like it was a nuclear bomb. Also had a gaurd try to refuse entry even with my registration.

How can you carry something that does not exist?

Or did you mean as a person living on base with a registration done though the base?

Easiest way would be with friends in off base housing. To my knowledge (and i'm still learning...going to army basic in January), what's been said above is correct. Saying that military bases have unconstitutional laws is sort of correct, but they go by their own set or rules, so it doesn't really matter. UCMJ takes precedent on military bases and military people. At least from my paperwork and talking to others, you sign away your rights when you join the service...in a way.

I see it as somewhat bogus, but it just keeps firearms out of people's hands on base I guess.

Yea it doesn't make sense. Have to have sn earlier to register it. But if you bought a weapon at the wac show or something you couldn't bring it on post right away. To register you also need commanders signature. But once you hand in the paper they issue a temporary registration till you receive the "official" one in the mail. Also , weapons only need to be stored in the arms room if you live in the barracks. I live in housing and all of my weapons are in a safe in my residence

Ok. So I just called provost martial. If you want to visit a relative who lives on post and bring your weapon. Since they are your sponsor they need to register the weapon under their name. So just call ahead give then the sn, model, cal.they can fill out the registration and have their commander sign it before you even get there. And the PM would give them a temporary registration reg.

When in the service one does not live under the umbrella of the U.S. Constitution. Uniform Code of Military Justice, baby! I've pounded my thick skull against it a couple of times!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top