JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the personal details page:
1. What is BB Code?
2. What is being requested in the box labeled "Home Page"?
3. As long as I'm at it, and if anyone is feeling compassionate and chatty, below this box is another, labeled "Tags". What's a tag and why would I care?

Hopefully these will be easy to explain to me, unlike when I started the forum it too three of you a couple of days to explain "Avatar", thank you kindly.
It is possible to teach old dogs new tricks but getting them to understand what they learned may not be so easy.:confused:
Thor

BB code is is a way to tell the software running the website to display something different. Like tell it to display text in bold or make it biggger

Most of the common ones are automated with the buttons right above the place where you type your text. You will rarely need to use BB code

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode
Ok, I got what you were saying about BB code. clear and concise. Thank you for that.
I should have stopped there though because when I followed the hyperlink and read what Wikipedia had to say I instantly felt stupid and started becoming despondent.
Luckily, I clicked out of it before it negated what you had to say.
Sometimes too much knowledge is too much! yours was just right.

Good questions!

1. Like @bolus said, BB Codes are pairs of codes used to style a post. Here's a helpful BB Code reference if you want to use them manually (by actually putting the tags before and after what you want styled). Most just highlight what they want styled and click the button.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/help/bb-codes

2. The home page field is simply an 'information' spot where members can list their personal homepage, if they wish to do so. No different than sharing your location.

3. Tags are used to organize similar content so people and search engines can find it easier. Say you're reading a thread about 1911's (tagged '1911') and you'd like to find more 1911 info. You can click the tag and then click Recent Content to pull up other threads tagged with '1911'. Refinement of the tag system (complete with official tags) is down a ways on our to-do list, but it will be refined at some point.

Here's a list of common tags here: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/tags/

Good questions!

1. Like @bolus said, BB Codes are pairs of codes used to style a post. Here's a helpful BB Code reference if you want to use them manually (by actually putting the tags before and after what you want styled). Most just highlight what they want styled and click the button.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/help/bb-codes

2. The home page field is simply an 'information' spot where members can list their personal homepage, if they wish to do so. No different than sharing your location.

3. Tags are used to organize similar content so people and search engines can find it easier. Say you're reading a thread about 1911's (tagged '1911') and you'd like to find more 1911 info. You can click the tag and then click Recent Content to pull up other threads tagged with '1911'. Refinement of the tag system (complete with official tags) is down a ways on our to-do list, but it will be refined at some point.

Here's a list of common tags here: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/tags/
I'm up two thirds, not bad for me. I comprende # 1 & #3 now, at least to the point I would rather be cleaning my guns than pursuing it further. I get the "home page field" or "spot" relationship mechanically. but I still don't understand Home page.
So, if I had one, (or do I, and don't know it?) would homepage be a voluntarily subscribed to online public presence akin to Facebook , twitter, etc.? None of which I do. Is that why I don't understand? (Here & E mail that's all I know to date)

Ok, I got what you were saying about BB code. clear and concise. Thank you for that.
I should have stopped there though because when I followed the hyperlink and read what Wikipedia had to say I instantly felt stupid and started becoming despondent.
Luckily, I clicked out of it before it negated what you had to say.
Sometimes too much knowledge is too much! yours was just right.

Don't feel bad Mr. Thorburg, I know exactly where you're coming from. I have the same issues but I don't want to hear the explanation most time as that will only continue the confusion! I figure, most times, I'm not missing enough to worry about.

I figure, most times, I'm not missing enough to worry about.
I hear you there Mikej and generally agree. All the help here gave me enough info to move on, Thanks.
My figuring is if I'm going to play a game or enter a potential den of iniquity, I want to know something about the game rules to not get squished or enough about the den find the exit door.
The old saying; what you don't know wont hurt you, from personal experience, could not be more wrong, especially these days. So the more I learn the more comfortable I am. I'd like to think I'm cautious not paranoid but even when I'm in my comfort zone (like here) I am still looking to see what I need to avoid and where the exits are.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top