JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi-
I recently purchased a new, threaded storm lake barrel, and want to have it installed. It is supposed to be 'drop in', but I don't have the ability to pull the link/pin, so I was hoping for a competent gunsmith to do it for me.

Anyone know of a competent 1911 smith in the Portland area? I PMed Wichita, who I thought said he was a smith, but I didn't hear back from him, and upon reflection, might be wrong about.

Thanks!

but I don't have the ability to pull the link/pin

Um, a hammer and a punch? It's mondo easy. You probably have a hammer, and a punch is like $2.50 at Ace hardware. Get a tapered, hollow tipped 3/32" one and you can also pop out the Main Spring Housing pin when you need to w/o marring the finish. I assure you, this is not hard.

Should you put the "drop in" barrel in and then test it and find it is not working 100%, then you should find your local gunsmith and support him.

Keane,

I didn't mean to browbeat you into someting you don't want to do. But getting familiar on at least the basic level with your gun is a good thing. It lets you learn and understand how your gun actually works.

Now, if you have zero experience with metal working or comfot with this, go get a good gunsmith to do it. Talk to him, learn from him, and watch it. I was NOT trying to diminish your manhood by you not doing it yourself. My idea was just empower you to give it a shot if you wanted to do the homework and had the skills. If not, no worries.

I understand what you mean completely. I've got quite a bit of metal working experience (for a software guy), and usually DO take on most of this sort of thing.

However, working on this handgun has me a little... scared you might say (same 1911 from my car post about 8 months ago). I'm afraid that if I do any home gunsmithing, I might invite this problem back!

Even so, thanks for your help, I think I'm going to give it a go, I just need to grab the punch and a C clamp.

So an update: I tried the punch, and couldn't get the pin to budge, so I took it to beavercreek armory. They swapped the pin and link, but messed up the pin so bad, that it didn't sit flush! The barrel no longer fit into the frame. They messed the pin and link pretty royally.

SO, I contacted Wichita, who is just going to install it for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top