JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"I HAVE A NEW SHORT PIECE ON THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Permissible Negligence and Campaigns to Suppress Rights.It's about the effort to suppress gun rights via lawsuits, and the legislative response. Download it early and often!" -- Glenn Reynolds
Instapundit » Blog Archive » I HAVE A NEW SHORT PIECE ON THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Permissible Negligence and Campaigns to Suppress …

Document is a PDF at the top link.

"In his The Second Amendment Right To Be Negligent, 68 Fla. L. Rev. 1 (2016), Andrew McClurg looks at statutory protections shielding gun owners and sellers from liability in cases of theft, etc. in terms of what he calls a constitutional "right to be negligent" under the First and Second Amendments. In this brief response, I look at that question, and also touch, briefly, on the to-me interesting aspect that the protection enjoyed by publishers under the First Amendment was created by judicial action, while that enjoyed under the Second Amendment was instead the product of legislation. But, in short, I argue that the common explanation for these "rights to be negligent" lies in the fact that both First and Second Amendment rights were, at different times, targeted by litigation campaigns involving cooperation ("collusion" might be too pejorative a word) between private litigants and government actors, where the litigation was focused more on limiting the extent of the rights than on compensating discrete injuries. I also touch upon the separation-of-powers argument for statutory rights to be negligent in, at least, the Second Amendment context."

Quote from the linked to document below - thanks for posting this BTW. Very interesting.

"Protections for media statements about public figures mean that some libel goes unpunished. Barriers to weaponized tort litigation mean that some incentives for safety are taken off the table."

Is this why the liberal media get to lie about certain politicians with no fear of losing their broadcast license? Or could a case be made certain news organizations who operate with a broadcast license and use said ability to broadcast EN MASS as a weapon making completely false and libelous statements do not have to worry about having such actions done against and not for the public good result in the removal of said broadcast license when it comes time for it to be renewed and the FCC opens up public comment?

I am certainly up for making complaints to the FCC, and mounting a campaign to encourage a few million of my closest friends to do the same in hopes of having these retards removed from the airwaves.

Don't exactly want to wast a lot of time and $$ if it is going to be a futile venture though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top