Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Permanantly attached suppressor?

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by littlegsxr, Dec 9, 2011.

1. littlegsxr

littlegsxr Below Canada. Active Member

OK, here is my thoughts....

Can I have a YHM 7.62 permanantly attached to a 7.5 or 8" barrel to have a 16" total lenth .300 blk upper. SBR is out of the question and I don't want a 24 or 26" total length barrel. I realize this will be a dedicated upper, but I want to shoot subsonics only as it is meant to be a quiet beast.

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

For that set up yes you can.

I didnt see myself hanging a can off the end of my 9mm AR so I decided to so integral since we can not SBR here. Here is my integral suppressed 9mm AR;
    DSC_0010.jpg

I know you said you dont want a longer barrel but a 16" barrel with a 6.6" can that weighs 7.5 oz (Trident 9) barely puts you out to 22" and is very manageable. My .300 Whisper;
    DSC_0004-2.jpg

I would suggest getting a 9mm can since you are only going to be able to use SS ammo anyhow. They are lighter, smaller and cheeper. With a barrel under ~11" you will burn up a .30 call can with full power ammo anyhow. I ONLY shoot SS out of mine since if I want to shoot loud .30 cal I have lots of other rifles for that with better ballistics.......

3. littlegsxr

I love your whisper setup... I too have other big caliber loud guns. I want something that is purely for quiet. WHO permanantly attached your can on the 9mm?

4. Nwcid

The 9mm set up is an SRT Arms and it is a complete job not a piece here and there. The website is a little rough and dated, but call him and he will get you squared away.

5. littlegsxr

That trident is an Swr correct. Silencerco just bought them, so who knows what's coming. I am working on a trust so I can get a .45 osprey can and whatever can I get for my .300 blk. The osprey would work, but I think I want to attach a can too keep it short.

6. littlegsxr

Do I get my suppressor on my form 4, then take it and have it permanantly attached, or do I have to have a class 3 do it and then the whole upper is on the form???? Anybody know and who can do it. I would like to get the upper hydro dipped prior to permanantly attaching the can and final assembly

7. Nwcid

I have not been following the gun news very well lately so did not know about SWR. They do make the Trident though.

Personally I would have a maker build it all at once. In the case of an AR you CAN NOT register the upper because it is not permanently attached to the silencer. So the serial number would be on the can or possibly the barrel. So your can will be its own deal then you will have to attach or have it attached to the barrel.

8. littlegsxr

Nwcid,

Thanks for the info. I just want to be sure before I make any orders... I am building the lower now... So I guess I will have to order the can, then have it attached to my barrel after the barrel nut, but before the handguard... Like the mi SS one piece rail.

9. nrc

nrc Oregon Member

A perm attached can will satisfy the ATF, but you would get better performance (lower db reduction, better weight balance) from an integral unit.
    An integral unit will be higher cost - so at the end of the day buy what you want.

Nate

10. littlegsxr

I contacted a few of the integral makers. Based on the barrel length and total length I am going for an integral isn't an option. Not too mention they recommended the short barrel and permanent attachment based on my purpose. I plan on .300 blackout 9" barrel and shooting subsonic rounds ONLY. Why build it too be silent, and use normal ammo? I figure it is purpose built. Thanks to WA law SBR is not an option, so 16" -ish it is.(Looks like final length will be 16.9"

11. nrc

nrc Oregon Member

Fair enough. Sounds like you've done your homework. I think you'll like the 300 blk. It's been good to see its component and part availability really build up over the last couple of years.

Nate

12. Nwcid

Can you please share what the difference is between and integral and a "detachable"?

13. littlegsxr

Integral is built into the barrel, much like what you see on Sons of Guns. Basically, the barrel is ported and has expansion chambers around it, hence becoming a one-piece suppressed barrel. I am no expert, just trying to explain the basic concept. Don't blast me as I am no expert and had to google it myself at first.

The Ar-15 is difficult due to the gas block, they needed 5" after the gas block and 7.5" after the muzzle to work. So I am better off doing it my way.

14. Nwcid

My point was that most "integrals" are just standard cans that are perm attached.

Yes some have extra ports so you can shoot SV or HV ammo and have it slowed to SS levels but if you are using SS ammo in the first place it shouldnt make a difference.

15. littlegsxr

I kinda wondered why you were asking, I figured you knew...

16. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

I did mine as a 5.56 but using a .300 blackout would be the same.

I built a pistol lower and put together a 10.5" Noveske upper. After test firing and making sure everying worked as it was supposed to, I finally got my stamp back for my supressor. Shot it as a pistol to make sure the everything functioned the way I wanted it to. Once I was happy with it, I permanently attached the supressor.

As a pistol:

arpistolsupressor.jpg

I would agree with using a 9mm can as well for a .300 blackout. I've seen some cheap ones for sale and they are usually about 100-200 cheaper than a .30 can.

17. littlegsxr

What length is that SS Rail, and can you remove it easily? What is your total barrel length? And last question if you don't mind, what method did you use to permanently attach? I am leaning towards welding... Any pics as a rifle?

18. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

10" rail, though I wish I would have gone with the 12". I can remove it but with the mounts for the rails, sling, etc it is a little difficult. The problem is the MI SS rail threads all the way on their barrel nut so you need clearance all the way around the interior of the rail for the rail mount nuts, or you have to fish the internal rail mount nuts through after you've already installed it. In hindsight, I would have gone with some different rails. Total barrel length is about 16.5". I used high-temp silver solder as I felt that would be the easiest for me to remove if I ever needed to have the supressor serviced.

19. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

Sweet. Definitely need pics with the stock.

20. littlegsxr

Can we get some more pics? I like it