JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From another Site...
Wrapping up firearms for shipping generally includes some type of packing material, a
container, and some type of cushioning material like old newspapers or more often
bubble wrap.
There have been a number of posts on mysterious "spots" on both stocks and barrels. No
pics until now though. At least none that I have seen.
Courtesy of one of the RFC members via an email to me, we do have pictures of a
severe case of the "spots".
Here they are:
upload_2015-2-24_20-52-3.png

This is a custom made ammunition box that "our" guy had made. Made out of aromatic
Cedar and has been finished.
The box was wrapped in bubble wrap, then in a cardboard box.
The spots that you see are from the bubbles in the bubble wrap.
Bubble wrap has to have some type of what I am going to call "release agent" on it to
make sure it does not stick during the manufacturing process. These can be a variety of
chemicals, most of which can harm a translucent topcoat and in many cases the bluing on
a barrel etc. as well as other stuff. Seen some on ceramics also.
These chemicals need to be removed and in the manufacturing processes used in the U.S.
they are and that is done very well. Unfortunately we cannot compete with overseas
manufacturers from a cost standpoint and one of the results of that is less quality for less
money. If the rinse cycle is not a quality process, some of the chemicals will remain on
the plastic. Been a couple of posts about this but like I said no pics until now.
When the chemicals remain on the wrap, you get the above.
Anybody getting a firearm shipped to them or shipping one should make sure that the
firearm is wrapped first in "brown" paper, not newspaper and then in the cushioning
material.
Fortunately our firearms manufacturers do that.:D

That looks more to me like the finish on the wood box wasn't completely dry when it was wrapped up. I spent 14 years as a Custom Knifemaker and shipped hundreds of knives to customers and none of them sat around once finished the got packed up and to the shipper ASAP I would be this is the same thing that has happened with this wood box. The finish wasn't allowed to properly cure (some wood finishes can take more then a week too cure)Besides the Knives I have shipped hundreds of cameras and other items over the last 14 years and I have received almost 1000 items in the mail in the same time period and I have never seen any damage from Bubble wrap. Not saying it can't happen. Just that I have in my experience never see it.

It looks to me like Mark may be correct. Finishes can "gas off" latent solvents for some time after they are "dry" to the touch. Especially if they are heated at all.
Wrapping them in anything plastic can and will cause those solvents to be trapped against the surface of the finish where they will etch the gloss, leaving marks that show the contact areas. In this case the bubbles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top