Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Performance chip/programer question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rpatton, Mar 14, 2011.

1. rpatton

rpatton Graham WA Member

Looking to get a performance chip/programmer for my 2010 F250 (5.4 gasoline V-8). It looks like there are two Jet options and am thinking about the plug and play version rather than the programmable but the problem I have is down in the not so fine print where it states that Jet recommends using premium grade fuel for best performance.

Since I am looking to squeak out a little more gas mileage to save some money... buying premium gas would undermine the purpose of the chip/programmer. Does anyone here have any experience with Jet chips/programmers in gasoline engines and if so do you really have to buy the premium gas to get the mpg?

Also willing to look at other recomendations if you folks have any.

Thanks

2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Here's an 'other' option. These guys do reprogramming. I believe they program the performance parameters you want, send you the programmer, then you flash the computer via the OBDII port. I have a V10 that I'm going to do this to in a few months.

5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

Keith

3. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I put a Banks system on our motorhome. Not cheap but it did add a bunch of power. I used to have 1050 ft lbs of torque at 1400 rpm, and 350 HP. Now I have 1200 ft lbs from 1400 to past 1700 and 435 HP. My boost pressure went from 24 to 35 psi too. On the flat level I get 10-14 mpg with a 41' MH weighing 33,000#'s and towing a Honda Ody on a dolly. Of course the mileage does go down going up a grade!! But a hill on going north on I-5 that I used to get down to 50 mph in 4th I can go up in 6th on cruise control at 60 with throttle to spare.

I wouldn't rule out a Banks kit!! I've had them on two motorhomes and find them to be well worth the price, although I didn't get much if any fuel economy change!!

8 former US Presidents have been NRA Members
    80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    Washington Arms Collector member
    South West Washington Arms Collector member

4. trainsktg

Did you get the work and the dyno done at Brazel's?

I'm not certain if I am going with the Banks kit on the coach I have or not. It depends if I decide to keep it or upgrade I guess. The Banks Powerpack and electronic tuning is supposed to boost the V10's HP from its 275 stock to about 340. Before I do that though I need to add a trackbar and additional roof solar panels.

Wish me luck Deen. Next week me, the wife and three kids embark on a 2-month 8600 trip in a 31 foot Class A. :p I sure could use your 41 footer right about now.

Keith

5. hammertime

hammertime Oregon Member

Take a minute to look at these guys for a tunner. Jody is a great guy to work with and I have used some of his tunes in my deisel trucks and they are hands down the best I have tried. Make the Banks and edge stuff look like junk.

Diesel tuning products for Ford PowerStroke

6. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

Its been a few years since I sold these things, so I'm a bit rusty...but here's my take:

Most programmers change the fuel and spark mapping to gain HP, which is why they reccomend higher octane fuel. So lets say you "tune" the truck for more power..whats the first thing you do? Hot rod the bejeezus out of it...hmmm, save gas? Not.
    Also...look at the cost to benefit ratio....is the .05 MPG you gain really worth shelling out the couple hundred bucks on a programmer that may also run the risk of voiding your warranty?

*Yes, I am playing devils advocate.

7. trainsktg

All good points. The reason I am considering the reprogram on my rig is that only my model year, 1999, had the 275 HP V10. All Ford did for their 2000 stripped chassis was change the mapping to get about 310HP and a commensurate increase in torque, while leaving the intake and exhaust essentially the same. I baby my rig and get about 9mpg with no tow, 8 with, so the 'up to 10%' mileage claims will be unnoticeable anyway. I'd like a little extra oomf when going up some of those steeper passes.

One thing for the OP to consider...in 2005 or 2006, Ford boosted the HP of the Triton V10s to 365HP, in great part by just redesigning the intake and exhaust systems for better flow. RV folks who have put the Banks system and a reprogram on one of these newer engines are reporting mostly negligible results for the money spent. For the OP, the same might hold true for your 2010 Triton V8. There are some good Motorcraft enthusiast websites out there that might be able to give you better info on this.

Keith

8. clarthom

clarthom oregon Member

the premium gas recommendation is mostly for the higher octane rating, this give you better knock protection. if you are going a performance rout with your pickup then you should be running premium anyway. since you are just doing it for some extra MPG then don't worry about it, your truck will still burn regular unleaded.

edit: also, how long will it take to pay off this programmer with your added MPG? is it worth it? something to think about

9. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban. One head developed a small hairline crack and started leaking coolant into the block. Instead of replacing the head with a factory one I decided to upgrade. I ordered a pair of high performance heads and matching high performance cam from Patriot Performance out of Alabama. When ordered they told me the CPU in my Suburban would have to be reprogrammed. I pulled the engine out and did the rebuild myself. I fired that thing up and could instantly tell the HUGE difference. The only problem was it would not idle. I drove it to my mechanic who tried to fix it but after hours of failed attempts of trying a few different "plug and play" chip programs he came to the conclusion that it was out of his league and refereed me to a guy at a Performance Shop who programed CPU"s in vehicles. I picked up my Suburban from my mechanic and as I drove it to the new guy I noticed that the Suburbans power was now not even close to the power it had when I took it to him. Ok I thought. this new guy will fix it. Well, after $500 for the reprogram job done to it while on the Dino he said it was fixed and I went and picked it up. He gave me a chart of how it ran on the Dino and said it was producing something like 368 horsepower at the back wheels. He also claimed to have changed the shift pattern of its lower transmission gears. Anyways it ran and idled but still didn't have the power it had after I had built it and it died on me twice in less then 5 miles. It sucked. I brought it back and he worked on it again. It still lacks the power it once had after the rebuild, it sometimes dies while at idle after cranked up. Cold, Warm or Hot.

I don't know if this helps at all. Just thought I'd put in my .02

Howard

10. clarthom

clarthom oregon Member

uhg what a nightmare, sounds kinda like it's in limp mode but the "reprogram" guy should have been able to tell that and certainly your mechanic would have been able to figure that out, IDK what is going on there, have you checked for any vac.leaks especially around the throttle body?

11. Father of four

Its all CPU reprogram problem for sure.

My main mechanic is a great mechanic, but not trained in reprogramming.

The Performance guy...no thanks. He pretty much gave up after he got his $500. And his attempt the second time..... well.

Anyone know a "Good" Automobile CPU Programmer?

I'll just wait for now.

12. Father of four

And yes the Suburban was checked for vacuum leaks and even had the timing chain cover removed to be sure everything was line up right. Everything checked out OK.

Would have been easy if it had a carburetor and a distributor. Dang throttle body and CPU!!!!!