JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for sharing your story, I'm glad you weren't injured. It's always good to read stuff like this, if for nothing more than a reminder that the simplest things can cause a malfunction of a gun or a shooter. Always glad to read these, especially when no one is hurt.

A couple years ago a friend of mine picked up a .243 Win round out of my box - and put it into his 25-'06 - no damage other than the case blew out at the end and there was a funny spiral in the barrel from the loose fitting bullet !

I try and do a measure twice cut once mentally.

I knew somebody like that. :D
<broken link removed>

carpenter muppet.JPG tongue.gif

carpenter muppet.JPG

tongue.gif

224083-c01c704f20dd701fcc66cda12ecce00c.jpg

Last Edited:
Thanks to all for the comments. When it comes to firearms, power tools and cars they can all be unforgiving with mistakes. My hope is that (in addition to me) others will measure twice and cut once.

Yes, the photo posted by Velzey is very likely what I will find once the slide is removed from the barrel.

I did a .243 through a .308 win several years ago! Sure made my heart stop for a few! You know, Eyes closed, doing the mental count of fingers, hands, eyes, ears, exct. waiting for something to start hurting or bleeding! Lucky nothing damaged but my pride! I sure look at that little bullet and head stamp closer now days!

Your a good man WillametteWill, I don't know you but your character shows through and proves what I just said. Thanks for the safety reminder, at your expense, LOL. Free shot, had to take it, glad your safe.

There was a guy, in Portland I think, who managed to shoot a .300 Whisper round in a 5.56 AR-15 (headspacing on the ogive - that's not good). He had both guns on his bench, and put the mag in the wrong gun. The bullet was the Sierra 240gr MK. They had a picture in Precision Shooting magazine of the bullet swaged down to .224" after they drove it out of the barrel. It was quite long, heh.

I had a friend who showed me his new Ruger Vaquero in .44 Magnum. He said he looked at both .44 and .45 Colt in the shop but finally settled on .44 because he didn't reload and it was bear country (a grizzly scared him once). He had some Federal 300gr .44 bear loads he bought at the same shop, and we tried shooting it at an old fence post. It was a little strange because we could actually see the bullet in flight and when it hit the fence post it bounced back, rather than blasting through. And the recoil was almost nothing. We shot several rounds, scratching our heads, and it finally dawned on us to look at the roll mark: .45 Colt. Same rim size. We looked at the fired cases, they were bulged but none let loose. Apparently the gun shop owner put the wrong gun in the box.

Another gun shop in town was selling loose brass in bins. I bought 20 .300 WSM, and loaded them up and shot them. One of the cases looked really funny when I picked it up - the neck was only about a tenth of an inch long. I looked at the headstamp and it said, .300 RSAUM. Shoulders got blown forward... I guess if I buy loose brass again, with multiple bins of brass in the area, I'll look at all the headstamps...

Last Edited:
Good lesson for everyone to learn from. Great posting!
Always good to be aware of which ammo is actually sitting inside your plain plastic reloaded ammo boxes. I have heard that several 9 MM rounds can sometimes feed and cycle through some pistols that are actually chambered for .40 Smith & Wesson. Very dangerous in the pistol...and the bullets will keyhole in the target...and of course the cases are no longer re-loadable.

Good lesson for everyone to learn from. Great posting!
Always good to be aware of which ammo is actually sitting inside your plain plastic reloaded ammo boxes. I have heard that several 9 MM rounds can sometimes feed and cycle through some pistols that are actually chambered for .40 Smith & Wesson. Very dangerous in the pistol...and the bullets will keyhole in the target...and of course the cases are no longer re-loadable.

I can testify to the truth of that statement! No damage done, in the full size all steel CZ 75 anyway. It didn't cycle, the top half of the case was resized and not torn, and the bullet did keyhole at 50', 6" low and left. Brass is amazing, so malleable, to stretch that far and not tear.

It's good to see you and bystanders are all uninjured, could have been bad, indeed. Also good to see you're taking the responsibility, which is correct, although the other officers at the station need told in no uncertain terms to be conscientious about which box they throw their ammo into.

On another forum, someone double charged a reload, blew up his revolver, and wants the factory to repair his firearm, seems he doesn't think he had anything to do with it. So good for you, standing up.

As an update the gun is in the shop now (been traveling and haven't had time to address the issues). Upgrading some of the components, trigger job...all before I've received the rebate from the original purchase. Lots of folks at this range are now double checking the ammo they put in their mags. When things go right we tend not to learn much. It's when things go wrong, and we survive, that the learning begins. Thanks all for the comments and sharing with others.

i've had a .40 fired out of my .45 1911 before...after that i stopped letting friends load magazines and don't take both the .40's and the .45's out on the same day anymore unless it's just me out there....