JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Buckle up y'all and learn from my expensive but lucky mistake. Long time shooter and consider myself very safe around firearms. (Don't we all.) Finally pulled the trigger and purchased a long-awaited 1911 in 45 auto. My first 45 but I've been shooting a 38 Super 1911 for 20 years.

Picked up the new 1911 in November and have about 200 rounds through it. I'm retired LEO so I'm fortunate enough that my old agency allots some ammo for us each month. Headed off to the range yesterday and grabbed some of the 45 ammo...mostly. The ammo is in giant boxes about a foot square and 8 inches deep, filled with ammo. Three boxes, 45, 40 and 9 sitting about two feet apart. Bet most of you see where this is going.

Set 15 rounds down range, smiling at my nice group. Next mag, first round, click. Well it's a new gun and pretty stiff still so I'm thinking I didn't seat the mag all the way or it didn't strip off the first round. I wait just in case of a hang fire, cautiously open the slide and see no round in the chamber. Drop the slide, touched off a round, well, you see where this is going.

Very different sound when a 40 cal detonates in front of a 45. Guess I can say I've now shot an 85 magnum. The good part. No one was hurt. The remains of the 40 case is sticking out of my barrel and I presume 230 grains of copper and lead close behind. Slide is locked almost shut because the entire underside of the barrel is filleted open (after the armorer removed the spring so we could see under the barrel.

Tell me this part doesn't hurt. Explaining this to my wife on the phone (I'm out of state at the moment) and she just went to a ladies only firearms class last night (which I told her to share with the instructors so others can learn). This morning we were talking about it and she told me how the instructors said if the gun doesn't fire to (do all the right things) including putting a zip tie or something down the barrel to make sure nothing is in there. Yes, yes dear, that is the correct thing to do.

Many at the range were blaming the officers who throw extra ammo back into the wrong bins. True, they shouldn't. But ultimately it's on me. Should have noticed I was putting a 40 in the mag, not a 45. Should have cleared the malfunction properly. Have been training for the past 30 years to clear quickly and get back in the fight...which worked great...for 30 years.

Monday will be a phone call to Remington (think this is covered by warrantee?) to see if it is salvageable or if I have a really cool, expensive paperweight reminding me that stupid hurts.

The best mistakes to learn from can be ones made by someone else. Feel free all.

th?&id=OIP.M2e2efc5ab523a99f141a4f0fdfbe07dfH0&w=300&h=168&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

lol
Sorry, had to get that out of my system.
A great reminder to be on one's game in all things.. especially when it comes to guns.

th?&id=OIP.M2e2efc5ab523a99f141a4f0fdfbe07dfH0&w=300&h=168&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

I always say "most people get a freebie" when it comes to accidental discharges; this is a variation on that theme, and now you've had yours.

Life is backwards sometimes: first comes the test, then after that, the lesson.

Same is true w/20 ga ammo. Many decades ago a friend loaded a 20 GA round into his 12 GA M-12 feed tube, some how the round jammed the gun before it loaded into the chamber, but that was one SOB of a jam to clear, we had to drop the trigger guard and disassemble the feed tube.

I'll see if I can get some form of decent photo to show. Other than fragments of 40cal casing sticking out the barrel there really isn't much to see. The barrel blew out below and the frame/slide appear completely intact (I'm not sure this is going to be the case after separating the two). Very happy to NOT have a spectacular photo to show!

Wowzer - could have been MUCH worse!

In my early days of reloading I once apparently missed dropping the powder on a .40 round. At the range, there was a >small< bang, so I knew something had happened. Waited the allotted seconds with it pointed downrange, then had a look - and found a .40 bullet stuck halfway down the barrel. THANK GOD I didn't go ahead rack in another round and drop the hammer!

Like Doc said, we frequently get a second chance, and this one just taught me how to drive a bullet out of a barrel, no damage to me or the pistola. But Will, I do feel your pain!!

Oh man. I am sorry for your situation. Happy that you are OK too. Firearms can be repaired and/or replaced. People cannot. I count myself in the "there but for the grace of god" crowd. Done some unthinking things with firearms myself. We get experience that way. My favorite definition of experience is that it comes about by a series of non-fatal mistakes. Be well and keep shooting.

Really appreciate you sharing your story. It can be hard on sites like this to admit that Shoot happens without someone flaming off... I try at work to share my mistakes with people I know are likely to be put into the same situation in hope that they remember and avoid the same cause lives are on the line and that's more important than my ego. (most of the time)

Good on you for sharing. Not usually easy to admit doing something absent minding, but we all know it happens. You handle firearms long enough some accident will happen. We all just hope that accident doesn't involve someone getting hurt.
I've known cops who accidentally shot themselves, friends who killed furniture in their house, and I've had an accidental discharge clearing an old .22lr.

I'm glad you and those around you are safe and unhurt.

It's really good to listen and hear these incidents as it could save someone from making a mistake that could have different results.

Oh man. I am sorry for your situation. Happy that you are OK too. Firearms can be repaired and/or replaced. People cannot. I count myself in the "there but for the grace of god" crowd. Done some unthinking things with firearms myself. We get experience that way. My favorite definition of experience is that it comes about by a series of non-fatal mistakes. Be well and keep shooting.

Cinebar, huh Pops? I am going to be in Morton next month visiting friends (used to live there) and am looking for a place to sight in at 50 yards my AR and maybe my SKS? Know of any old rock quarry or something there in E Lewis County? I will be there on a Monday/Tuesday till noonish. Any directions to a place would be mucho appreciated.

Brutus Out

Buddy many years ago shot me in the foot with a rifle, he thought the gun was clear and safe.
Obviously it was not. I am not playing Monday morning quarter back, I try and do a measure twice cut once mentally. I often times will not once but twice look at what I am doing especially if there are others around or any other sidetracks, Glad you are OK, thats what we all say but its true you can buy a new gun, not new hands or fingers or toes. Posting this as you have hopefully will help others go umm WAIT....did I ?

I often times will not once but twice look at what I am doing especially if there are others around or any other sidetracks, Glad you are OK, that's what we all say but its true you can buy a new gun, not new hands or fingers or toes. Posting this as you have hopefully will help others go umm WAIT....did I ?

Yes, we become complacent and threads like this will get us back/keep us on track. I know it does me!

The two mistakes I've had, one no-charge and the double charge .38sp fired in a .357 mag. That case from the double charge rests in plain sight on my loading bench. If I had a gun break due to my negligence the gnarled parts would be in plain sight as a reminder.

I did shoot a 9mm in the .40 once. All it did was expand the case and not cycle. It hit the target at 50', though it keyholed and was wild by about 8".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top