JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have decided that my AR will be my "go-to" rifle, if something goes down and I need to defend myself/survive. I had it set up how I thought would be perfect, but it was heavy, bulky, and not very impressive.

Here is what I had -
Colt Law Enforcement Carbine
DD Omega 7.0
Vortex Viper PST 1-4x
Surefire Scout Fury
B5 SOPMOD stock
Harris Bipod
KAC vertical grip

I took all that off and sold most of it, so I can start over. Right now my rifle is back to stock, with M4 handguards and carry handle. I like how light it is right now, and simple.

My question is, what is the ideal set up for an AR for a do it all defense/survival rifle.

Not looking to debate about the AR platform.

While I normally say that everyone has their own preferences, here is your answer:

"Rightnow my rifle is back to stock,with M4 handguards and carryhandle. I like how light it is rightnow, and simple."

Add a sling at most imo for a go to rifle.

+1 for the Aimpoint Micro.

Colt N1 stock. Retro CAR handguards + thorntail like light mount.

ETA: kinda like this... old SBR lower and new Colt 6933 upper. The "big plan" calls for a T1 and a simple and lightweight BUIS, but the DD A1.5 will work for right now.

6933.01s_zps4oapgaas.jpg

I wish Colt 14.5-inch LW 1:7 (653) barrels were still available, but they're just not anymore.

Last Edited:
To me, a real SHTF rifle has a solid front sight like your rifle. Seems like front sights take the brunt of accidents. Weight savings will come through picking and choosing gadgets and optics and/or barrel weight.

I was suprised how little difference in weight there is between standard M4 handguards and my Troy quad rail. Less than 3 ounces on an 8 pound rifle. If you consider that you're more likely to add crap on a railed handguard, Id skip it.

A pencil barreled upper with A2 front sight and flat top receiver with CAR15 handguards and your favorite BUIS with standard US GI telescoping stock would be nice and light.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top