Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

"Perfect" AR-15 Setup

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, Nov 14, 2015.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I have decided that my AR will be my "go-to" rifle, if something goes down and I need to defend myself/survive. I had it set up how I thought would be perfect, but it was heavy, bulky, and not very impressive.

Here is what I had -
    Colt Law Enforcement Carbine
    DD Omega 7.0
    Vortex Viper PST 1-4x
    Surefire Scout Fury
    B5 SOPMOD stock
    Harris Bipod
    KAC vertical grip

I took all that off and sold most of it, so I can start over. Right now my rifle is back to stock, with M4 handguards and carry handle. I like how light it is right now, and simple.

My question is, what is the ideal set up for an AR for a do it all defense/survival rifle.

Not looking to debate about the AR platform.

MTpockets likes this.
  2. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Rogers stock, Tritium sights... Done. Light, fast,effective and fun.

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

While I normally say that everyone has their own preferences, here is your answer:

"Rightnow my rifle is back to stock,with M4 handguards and carryhandle. I like how light it is rightnow, and simple."

Add a sling at most imo for a go to rifle.

Medic! and Garg like this.
  4. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

5. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Went to an M4 upper, added a Collapsible stock, Red Dot, BUIS and a sling. :D
    Oh, almost forgot to mention, it's in 7.62x39. :p

6. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

+1 for the Aimpoint Micro.

Colt N1 stock. Retro CAR handguards + thorntail like light mount.

ETA: kinda like this... old SBR lower and new Colt 6933 upper. The "big plan" calls for a T1 and a simple and lightweight BUIS, but the DD A1.5 will work for right now.

6933.01s_zps4oapgaas.jpg

I wish Colt 14.5-inch LW 1:7 (653) barrels were still available, but they're just not anymore.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    titsonritz likes this.
  7. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm looking at a light weight upper myself, and I really like the versatility and weight of the Midwest industries key mod fore grip. Add a light and some iron sights and good to go :)

8. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

To me, a real SHTF rifle has a solid front sight like your rifle. Seems like front sights take the brunt of accidents. Weight savings will come through picking and choosing gadgets and optics and/or barrel weight.

I was suprised how little difference in weight there is between standard M4 handguards and my Troy quad rail. Less than 3 ounces on an 8 pound rifle. If you consider that you're more likely to add crap on a railed handguard, Id skip it.

A pencil barreled upper with A2 front sight and flat top receiver with CAR15 handguards and your favorite BUIS with standard US GI telescoping stock would be nice and light.