JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When the pandemic started, I was able to get Remington #10's for my Colt Navy at almost any sporting goods store. Now I check online at the usual outlets there, and at all the sporting good stores and haven't been able to find anything much at all. Went to Sportsmans Warehouse, nothing in the tri-state (Great Northwest) area at all. Nothing beyond that even. Same with Cabelas. I put in a call to a local supplier that specializes in BP, nothing right now. Sportsmans in Federal Way said they are only getting in a few at a time and they go fast.

So....

I check Sportsmans in Wenatchee, WA...the website says they have just ONE measly box in stock. Just the one. I ask the clerk to check the wall. He comes back and surprisingly, they have a few more. That was Saturday afternoon. I ask if I can online order them. He says they just arrived, and no...the computer system won't let him add more than one to the order. The new inventory isn't added to the online system yet. (Ain't computers GREAT?) I will have to come and buy them in person if I want more than just the one tin that's officially in inventory.

So on Sunday morning (today) I leave the house early in Auburn and start driving to Wenatchee. It's 150 miles each way.

I get there about fifteen minutes prior to opening time and go to the gun counter. Sure enough, there are five tins of Remington #10 hanging on the wall. I grab them and pay for them. I pick up my one tin that I ordered online, and picked up a few hundred 375 Hornady roundball to boot.

The roundball and powder are available all over. But the caps seem to be lacking. I blame it on hoarding. You know...when people drive 150 miles each way over two passes each way, (Blewett and Snoqualmie) just to snatch up everything that's available. The jerks. :D Who would do that?

All I am saying here is that if YOU see some caps available somewhere, you might want to stock up when you get the chance. Since the pandemic there seems to be a shortage, especially on the #10's.

Yep, I picked a bad time to expand into percussion firearms. There is a paper out there by a college chemistry professor detailing several methods of preparation for corrosive and non-corrosive priming compounds, and the danger, advantages and disadvantages of each mixture. I may have to hunt down a tap-o-cap tool and brush up on my chemistry if this continues.

Yeah. It's a bummer. I see you are from Camas. Nice place. Better than Auburn for sure.

Rifle caps are still out there to a degree. It's the revolver caps that are mostly short, CCI and Remington. I prefer Remington caps but at this point if you find any you might have to grab what you can get.

UPDATE: I just checked the East Wenatchee Sportsmans Warehouse, place I went today. Now they are showing multiple stock on the #11 caps anyway. Maybe they had some in the back, and when I bought them out they updated their inventory from the back. Long way for you though. Before I made my trip there on Sunday, they were showing zero on the #11's. NOW they show #11 Remingtons plenty of stock, and CCI #11's and 11M. No 10's though. (I bought them out)

They are about the only store in Washington or Oregon that has anything at all available. Your best bet is to order a boatload ONLINE of what you think works for you, and then start planning a trip. You will have a few days to pick up, or...once you make the order...get the Order Number and call customer service booth because they fill and move all the orders to that booth. Wait a day or two, and then call Customer Service booth. Give them a date you can make it up there so they don't put it back in stock and refund your card. Make it worth your while if you are crazy enough to do this. It's important you update your pick up day so they don't restock your stuff and sell it someone else. They will hold it, but you should contact them. They will make a note on the order slip on your bag. Everything comes in a bag with the order tacked to it. The reason for waiting a day or two before calling them to set a pickup date is because it takes a bit for them to fill your order and take it to the Customer Service booth.

LOL...what we won't do these days to get the ammo or peripherals we need....

I made my trip in the truck below. Never missed a beat. :) (Restored 1997 Nissan King Cab. 122K, 4-cyl/5 spd/AC/PS)

NewTiresforInternet.jpg

Last Edited:
Know zero about percussion...

That said, is it possible the observed shortage may be due to supply side constraints? ie any/all manufactures moving solely to standard primers/cap producers unable to acquire raw materials due to such?

So no/limited new production currently. Only in inventory chain moving around?

No idea, obviously. Just a thought aloud.."

Interesting...:cool:
I'll have to look into that. :D
Do they fit down over the nipple, or do you have to do something special?:)

I had thought about using a match tip in a piece of aluminum foil. :eek:
Is a perfect fit, even water proof. And they are very cheap.
I cut them apart with a finger or toe nail clipper.
I have the "tap-a-cap" have not used it since I started using the toy caps.

Know zero about percussion...

That said, is it possible the observed shortage may be due to supply side constraints? ie any/all manufactures moving solely to standard primers/cap producers unable to acquire raw materials due to such?

So no/limited new production currently. Only in inventory chain moving around?

No idea, obviously. Just a thought aloud.."
No, it's not supply side unless it is caused by a labor and shipping slowdown due to the pandemic. I have called sporting goods stores and they tell me universally that the second they get in some caps, especially the #10's they sell out quick. I think caps are a problem online, because (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't there a big charge on them for hazardous material shipping? I *think* that's the case.

Ammo in general, as we all know, has been tricky to obtain lately depending on the caliber. There are two main reasons. Everybody is buying ammo, and believe it or not...a lot of lead is being diverted into solar power battery systems. Solar power has literally exploded in the last ten years.

I sent a message to Remington regarding the shortage of #10 caps. They answered the next day. Screenshot of the email shown below. I did blank out my personal info on it.
RemingtonContact.jpg

Last Edited:
Well, I guess if the percussion and muzzle loaders really are spooked and hoarding, then the redcoats must really be coming.

No?
I dunno. Maybe it's just an extension of the regular ammo shortages going right now. If regular ammo is scarce, why not for BP? I'm pretty well stocked now, and hopefully the shortages will pass. Demand always drives the market. And there is certainly demand going right now. Sooner or later, manufacturers will start to catch up with that demand because there is big money in it for them.

I hope it doesn't come down to dumping the acid from old batteries, neutralizing them with baking soda, cracking them open and extracting the lead...and then having to cast round ball from THAT. Now that would be REALLY bad. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top