JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The guy who said use caps. Is spot on. But, I'd add just a little to the mix. Making your own re-used caps is really not that hard. Sorry about no giving him the cred for his post. BTW, making your own centerfire primers is also not all that bad.

I learned long ago to find all the available nipple sizes that can fit a particular arm, and stock up on all the caps I could!
Most of what I run uses the #11 caps especially the Colts which are sort of between the #10 and #11 size, so until I find someone who can make new nipples for me in one size or the other, that's where i'm at! I always seem to find the CCI primers especially the "Magnums" so that's what I usually grab when i'm out and about! I can even use Musket Caps when needed, but those seem to be a bit harder to find locally!

Not too hard to make those. Canning jar lids, punch die plates, forming die and punch. This is simple machining. Bet you can find a guy near you willing to help. Look up machine shops near you. He/they will need to see your size needs.

If worse comes to worst you can order them from Midway. I just ordered 2500 of them. 1075s are my favorite.

Yeah might have to do this. Can't find them anywhere.

If anyone in the valley wants to share an order, PM me. Saving on hazmat / shipping is always good. ;)

Many of those toy caps use a fulminate of mercury. This is a contact explosive. These caps have a friction component such as sand or ground glass. For what it's worth, this is a rather corrosive compound. To use this in a centerfire cartridge would soon crack the case. It's not going to help a nipple. You may well no see the damage until the time you need to replace it. There are many other easy to make alternatives.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top