JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can imagine. I am not a big OC guy, I was in a couple situations where it was deployed and it took out a couple of good guys too. But it was a fubar situation that went wrong fast.

Go hot or not.

The wind or blowback is what has kept me from buy some for my wife or daughter who both will not and can not (due to work) carry a gun.

Been racking my brain for a good substitute for a pistol...

Thing about pepper spray is the strongest stuff is reserved for animals, if you really want to carry it around get some animal strength, like the Mace brand for dogs, or the Sabre brand for dogs, or the Ruger brand for bears...It isn't about the brand, just that it should be made for use on animals

Thing about pepper spray is the strongest stuff is reserved for animals, if you really want to carry it around get some animal strength, like the Mace brand for dogs, or the Sabre brand for dogs, or the Ruger brand for bears...It isn't about the brand, just that it should be made for use on animals

I would generally caution people from using those items because they arent often that sturdy, especially if bad dude gets a hold of it in a struggle. They can be pulled apart pretty easy and then you have a real mess.

.2% is enough to render most humans useless. .2, .4, .73 and 1.3% are typically the most available. I like DefTech because their Mk3, which is fairly small and easy to hide, gives you 8 to 10 bursts and is good for 5 years. They are also 360 degree useable because they dont use draw tubes.

OC isn't my favority thing in the world because secondary exposures are common. I can't argue with the results though. It causes far fewer injuries and is easier to deploy than a taser. It doesnt take much clothing to render a tazer useless. Once a tazer is deployed and fails, reloads are slow. Even a successful taze only lasts as long as the cycle and then badguy is right back into the fight. I'd get tazed any day over getting sprayed.

I would generally caution people from using those items because they arent often that sturdy, especially if bad dude gets a hold of it in a struggle. They can be pulled apart pretty easy and then you have a real mess.

.2% is enough to render most humans useless. .2, .4, .73 and 1.3% are typically the most available. I like DefTech because their Mk3, which is fairly small and easy to hide, gives you 8 to 10 bursts and is good for 5 years. They are also 360 degree useable because they dont use draw tubes.

OC isn't my favority thing in the world because secondary exposures are common. I can't argue with the results though. It causes far fewer injuries and is easier to deploy than a taser. It doesnt take much clothing to render a tazer useless. Once a tazer is deployed and fails, reloads are slow. Even a successful taze only lasts as long as the cycle and then badguy is right back into the fight. I'd get tazed any day over getting sprayed.

I must say I don't know what you mean about 'those items aren't often that sturdy'
The dog pepper spray I sell is packaged in the same exact container as the regular
pepper spray is, so I can't imagine what your objection could be to them???o_O

I have a couple Kimber pepper blasters that I bought for when I absolutely can't carry. I've read they are pretty good but I can't say for sure because I've never felt like shooting myself in the face with one.

The wind or blowback is what has kept me from buy some for my wife or daughter who both will not and can not (due to work) carry a gun.

Been racking my brain for a good substitute for a pistol...

Yeah, but it would be good option for them to have available.

-I've used pepper spray a bunch on dogs while cycling. Incredibly effective, including on ferrel dogs. Has saved me from in-humanely injuring dogs, and likely myself a bunch (kicking/clubbing a dog while cycling is a great way to crash). It's saved my life in one circumstance, when I sprayed the alpha of a Tibetan Mastiff ferral pack.

I've also received blow back from a spray in France. Stopped the dog and I was still reasonably functional enough to get more distance from it before having a full-on sneeze/caughing/teering fit.

I would not want to ever receive a full force blast, that's for sure. Very effective stuff, if it can be effectively deployed. That part would would require some personal defense training & a lot of practice. Just have them kind of add "which way is the wind blowing" to there continual threat assessments so it can become second nature. Similar to a simple side step if drawing a handgun.

Yeah, but it would be good option for them to have available.

-I've used pepper spray a bunch on dogs while cycling. Incredibly effective, including on ferrel dogs. Has saved me from in-humanely injuring dogs, and likely myself a bunch (kicking/clubbing a dog while cycling is a great way to crash). It's saved my life in one circumstance, when I sprayed the alpha of a Tibetan Mastiff ferral pack.

I've also received blow back from a spray in France. Stopped the dog and I was still reasonably functional enough to get more distance from it before having a full-on sneeze/caughing/teering fit.

I would not want to ever receive a full force blast, that's for sure. Very effective stuff, if it can be effectively deployed. That part would would require some personal defense training & a lot of practice. Just have them kind of add "which way is the wind blowing" to there continual threat assessments so it can become second nature. Similar to a simple side step if drawing a handgun.

Actually I once had a talk with an animal control worker about the animal strength pepper spray and he told me that you will get the same effect from anything you spray at a dog, even water will make them stop chasing you, cause they will stop as soon as they realize you are spraying anything at them, as it will cause them to flinch, as a defensive reaction...

Last Edited:

That's why you kick they're head in before running! Oops! Don't do that!!!
Too old school!:D

I don't know the strength. But Sabre works great on dogs.
I think it has Mace and an ultraviolet die added also.

So when somebody tries to deny there dog attacked you. You can just hit it with an UV light and it will Flores. ;)

I have used it a dozen or more times. Out walking my dogs.
And the dog goes from full ''Tunnel vision. I'm gona kill you''! To rubbing his face in the grass.
Shuts them right down.

No more kicking dogs. And injuring my knees. No more needing to shoot the dog between the eyes!

Having I non-lethal option to try first is a nice luxury.

Just hold it out at arms length and anticipate the wind and back spray. You'll be fine.
Now I have got a little in my face before when using it. But that was better than the six months it took for my knee to heal.

Those pit-bulls are stout dogs. :D

I must say I don't know what you mean about 'those items aren't often that sturdy'
The dog pepper spray I sell is packaged in the same exact container as the regular
pepper spray is, so I can't imagine what your objection could be to them???o_O

Because the regular stuff is easy to break too. Anything bigger than a Mk4 is super easy to break.

I don't know the strength. But Sabre works great on dogs.
I think it has Mace and an ultraviolet die added also.

So when somebody tries to deny there dog attacked you. You can just hit it with an UV light and it will Flores. ;)

I have used it a dozen or more times. Out walking my dogs.
And the dog goes from full ''Tunnel vision. I'm gona kill you''! To rubbing his face in the grass.
Shuts them right down.

No more kicking dogs. And injuring my knees. No more needing to shoot the dog between the eyes!

Having I non-lethal option to try first is a nice luxury.

Just hold it out at arms length and anticipate the wind and back spray. You'll be fine.
Now I have got a little in my face before when using it. But that was better than the six months it took for my knee to heal.

Those pit-bulls are stout dogs. :D

One thing that helps the backspray is using oil based OC with a solid stream disseminator like DefTech 360 1.3%. Its not flamable and really sticks. It doesn't seem to cause as much dispersal but wind direction is still important. Its also not as effective on the respiratory system but is horrid on skin and eyes.

While most people you would use it on are animals, I would caution against it.
But I would rather my wife or daughter get fubar eyes then be murdered or raped.

The burning eyes they will get over.

Better than nothing. Teach them to use their car key between the fingers and punch aiming for the eyes.

Have you also been tased? If so, where did they tase you?

Yeah, Ive been tazed in the back. Since we do it over wrestling mats, we dont experience the worst part, the fall. Being tazed sucks while its happening and you feel worn out afterward, but you go right back to normal when its over.

Its just a 5 second window to take control before the cycle ends. A lot of people dont realize that touching someone who is being tazed doesn't result in a shock unless you put your hands between the darts. So, to avoid repeated exposures, we train to cuff while people are being actively tazed.

That is one reason I'm not crazy about citizens using tazers. Its not that they are dangerous, but is the cycle enough time for you to get away before the bad guy comes back around? People dont stay incapacitated like they do in the movies and most people dont carry cuffs on them. They also work very poorly when people are wearing layers.

Last Edited:
I've heard, from several sources, that, in a pinch, wasp spray - the stuff that shoots a 20' stream - is as effective as pepper spray on an attacker. It apparently causes no permanent damage to the attacker, but will incapacitate them rather quickly, and keep them down for a time. I keep a can of pepper spray in easy reach of the door, but also have some wasp spray nearby too, if backup is needed - plus the wasp spray is super cheap.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top