Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Pepper Spray/iPhone armband?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by teflon97239, Jun 9, 2013.

1. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Gotta say I love what's happened to my sweetheart since she became addicted to running 10K 3-4 times a week. She does the iPhone on the upper armband thing, listens to her favorite music and just hammers out the miles. Cool for her, cool for me.

But what I don't like is the fact that she often runs alone in remote locations. She's alert, and certainly capable of avoiding a potential attack, but I'd like to see her carry her pepper spray (she knows how to use it) affording her an added opportunity to escape if things get urgent.

Is anyone aware of an iPhone armband with an extra slot in it for a small pepper spray? She doesn't like fanny packs or things in her pockets, but she says she'll wear a pepperspray/iPhone sleeve if I can find her one.

Thanks in advance for leads.

Blaylocke and (deleted member) like this.
  2. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

neck knife is what my wife uses.

3. LoneStar

LoneStar WA Active Member

How come she doesn't carry a gun in a SmartCarry holster?

4. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

I wear a Fannie pack. Pretty gay I know. But, it can hold a nice .380, or a dog biscuit.

5. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

don't you know gay is the new in-thing now

6. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

Because she is running. If someone is going to do something, she has a better chance to grab her knife, slash and run. Ever tried to run long distances with something bouncing off your hip? She can carry the knife and give herself reasonable protection against perceived threats. I would rather she carry her Glock 19, but life is about compromise.

7. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Those squirt-squirt little pepper spray things you get at 7-11 are worthless (something that would fit in an I-phone container), so I'd vote knife. The exception would be a Kimber Pepper Blaster.

8. Dinged

Dinged Portland, OR Active Member

You can buy a little canister of Sabre OC which is small enough to fit on your keychain. If she carries a key ring with her, it'll fit, even if not I'm sure there's some way you could attach it to the armband, maybe a little piece of velcro or something. I can personally vouch for Sabre, as I've been sprayed by it and well, it was one of the worst days of my life lol.

9. BEN LILLY

BEN LILLY Lincoln City, OR NRA LIFE MEMBER Bronze Supporter

NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT:rofl1:

10. Blaylocke

Blaylocke Lewis County Active Member

I run with the same armband (the elastic with the phone slot, right?) I have a can of Sabre Pepper Spray

Amazon.com: SABRE Advanced 3-In-1 Police Strength Pepper Spray - Compact Canister with Clip - 5Xs more spray than the Competition: Sports & Outdoors

If I dont listen to tunes (and as such dont have a band to clip it on, I use one of these:

Amazon.com: SABRE RED Police Strength Pepper Spray - Runner Model with Hand Strap & 35 shots, 5Xs more than the competition for max protection!: Sports & Outdoors

I know I should carry a gun, but my only option with what I wear would be a belly band. No thanks.

Anyway, both of those served me well, and I think your gal will be ok with them too.

Edit:

Some people are recommending a neck knife. Nothing wrong with that if she can stand it. But it pisses me off to have things around my neck while I run. The spray has worked fine for me.

11. teflon97239

Went to the gun show the other day and finally found pepper spray with a clip on the side, like a pocket knife. I picked up some pink ones for my sweetheart, her daughter and her best friend - all runners. They clip right into the armband next to an iPhone, and they have keychain rings, too.

I explained to the teen that pepper spray doesn't mean she can now go places that she wouldn't before without it. And I'm not delusional enough to think everyone is suddenly all safe, but any little edge a gal can have if some weirdo gets fresh is better than nothing at all.

I'm told they should be replaced every year, and ours are 4-5 years old. So we'll have a little training session with those.

12. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Does she listen to music etc. using earphones on her phone while she's running? She's not "alert" if she does.

13. teflon97239

That's a very good point. It's taken me 6 months to get her carry the pepper spray. I suppose I could ask her to ditch the music now, but she'd probably test it out on me! Gotta love independent women...