JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These guys get it. The question isn't if you will choose food OR gold. The question is if you will choose paper money or gold. Now, if you'd been paying attention, you have seen that many of the folks on this very thread have food stocked, some over a years worth of stocked up. They bought the Mountain House freeze dried sale deal at Costco (you can do a search on that thread, it was a land rush and everyone bought all Costcos stuff till they ran out), the stuff has a 25-30 year shelf life. NOW, the question they have asked themselves is: "do I leave those remaining greenbacks in the bank earning essentially nothing and buying less every month, or do I get some gold (or silver)?". Not ever all gold, just some.

Those who were paying attention have a bunch of gold that they bought at @$300 an Oz. So let me ask you Riot, back when it was $300 an ounce, if you had $30000 extra dollars, would you have rather bought 100 ounces of gold that would be currently worth $150,000, or would you have prefered to have left it in the bank where it would be only valued at $30,450 or so? (suspect math alert coming up) If you had left it in the bank, supposedly safe, back then you could have easily bought 20000 gallons of gas when it was $1.50 a gallon. Today, your bank account which would have not grown at all would get you almost 5000+ gallons of gas, say.

Tomorrow that $30,000 will buy you even less. Had you bought gold you'd have $120,000 more dollars. You can walk into any store and trade the gold back into dollars you know.

And it's not just gas. Clothes, food, all commodities ...everything you see will have this effect and increase in price. It's not so much as the stuff is going up as much as the dollar is worth less. You will see it as your dollars will, and are, buying less. God price out a McDonalds hamburger or a Pepsi. Double what it was a few years back.

Beyond that, the smart ones have additionally had foreign currency denominated bank accounts, guaranteed by the US Government. You can chose lots of options, some folks made the mistake of denominating in Yuan, whereas a market basket of currency's would have been better, but the Yuan have gone up in value as well. Hope that helps you out a bit Riot in your search for answers. These are things you can choose, or not. I believe in the strength of my country, long term. That doesn't mean we won't have some bumps especially in the next 5 or so years. So best to be braced for it, and maybe you will have the strength to help others out during a crisis. That's how I feel.

Take care!

Lots of good comments here since I was on last evening. Clearly quite a few people here view metals as money (as it should be viewed). But some view it as a commodity only; nothing different than other hunks of metal, or lumber, or whatever. I think the "commodity" view is generally held by folks who have never dealt with exchange rates, and who have lived their entire lives using only the $US. Fortunately for them, and for all of us US citizens, the $US has been king of the hill. No longer.

We are at point in history that only occurs once every 100 years or so; a point where the current world reserve currency is falling from grace. The gold/silver/foreign currency folks "get it." They are doing what they believe is right to protect their cash assets by moving at least some of it to safe-haven currencies (metals, certain foreign currencies, etc.). Much of the world has been doing this all along; we here in the US have not had to. I think the unknowing public is about to get a real education on the ramifications of owning a depreciating currency. (As a side-note, did anyone read the latest BS about the Pres wanting to go after "energy speculators?" Guess what folks; it is the falling $US, and increasing world demand with finite production capabilities, that drives energy prices up for us, not "speculators." They are looking for scapegoats already).

Sorry if I've offended anyone...seems like we've all had to defend our plans/preps on this forum one way or another- so forgive me for making the assumption that people were just buying Gold/Silver in impulse versus prioritizing all the options.

I, personally, wish I bought Gold/Sliver and didn't pawn off the silver I did have for gas money...but that's life sometimes. I've been ridiculed time and time again on this forums for being pro LEO, pro bug-out and a prepper. So sorry if I did the same to you all.

Thanks for the replies...

Sorry if I've offended anyone...

Quite the opposite here, glad you started the thread!
It got me thinking about a lot of things related to all the replies and my own preps.
But make no mistake, there are plenty of sheeple running to market to BUY, BUY, BUY!
We haven't seen anything like a full scale run on silver yet however, that will be scary.
But to those who think this game is near the top... I don't think we've seen the half of it.

Silver is already $49-$50 for a generic coin. So much for my prediction a couple months ago when silver was $37-$38 that it would be $60 by the end of the year. It will be $60 by July and probably $80-$100 by the end of the year. It will then continue much, much higher vs the dollar.

All due to people waking up to the dollar collapse and the fact that there are 40x the buyers for silver there were in 1980 and very limited supply.

When the fiat monetary system is exposed as a giant Ponzi scheme will you own something real or just paper notes backed by nothing? IRAs, savings, checking, CDs, Mutuals, contractual payments, all go ‘poof.’

Only 2% of Americans are wise enough to own ANY precious metals. What happens when a few more people get the memo that the private foreign-owned Federal Reserve Bank is monetizing Trillions in debt. That the media they own has kept that fact a secret. There has been more money ‘printed’ since 2005 than the entire previous history of the country dating back to 1776.

Is it smart to buy at $50? You bet.

Brick of gold? Nothing. That's like walking into a store today with a $50,000 bill (if there was such a thing) and trying to buy groceries. The seller cannot make change. However, 1oz silver coins would be good, Even small gold coins should be good for bigger purchases. There are common coins that are worth right now $290 to $370 dollars. These are the size of a nickel and include the British Sovereign and German 20 Marks and Swiss 20 Franc coins as well as all the common bullion coins that come in format as small as 1/10th of an oz (and worth about $150 in gold).

Good advice, but for your average person I think this illustrates why silver is almost more important. First off, it's cheaper to buy an amount that you can see without magnification! And secondly it is already conveniently packaged in "commerce" ready amounts....such as a 1 oz coin is worth ~$40....that is a lot easier to trade without getting "screwed" out of your change. Also, from what little I understand about industry; silver has more industrial applications than gold; so there is also some intrinsic value besides the "idea" that it has been accepted as currency for thousands of years. (And I honestly believe it will continue to be accepted as currency, same with gold)

I think gold is for wealth preservation through an "event" or deflationary depression. And I think silver is for "backup" for day to day bartering needs should it ever come to that. Since I have no wealth to preserve outside of my retirement accounts and real estate; I buy small amounts of silver when I have extra cash. $50 here, $100 there, $200 here, $150 there....a couple of times a year I buy a little silver....gives me peace of mind and it isn't a major investment....it may never "pay off" so to speak....but on the other hand it COULD save my life or the life of someone I know.

Either way it seems pretty obvious to me that precious metals are going up and paper money is going down and the trend has no end in sight. I don't really posess much more cash than is needed for our bills every month...and I invest in "supplies" first and in precious metals with whatever is left. Works for me, and i can sleep at night. I think that any true prepper has their "eggs" in as many "baskets" as possible. On that note....eggs and baskets and all HAPPY EASTER!!!!!

I think this illustrates why silver is almost more important. First off, it's cheaper to buy an amount that you can see without magnification! And secondly it is already conveniently packaged in "commerce" ready amounts....such as a 1 oz coin is worth ~$40....that is a lot easier to trade without getting "screwed" out of your change.

This is precisely why I chose silver instead of gold.

Much easier to use in smaller increments if you need to use it as a currency during a SHTF event.

OK lets think this out a bit. You bought silver with your extra money as a hedge and people will take silver in bad times. If the dollar tanks tomorrow (which it could) how will capitalism work in our system? Your money tanks who will sell you fuel? Who will bring the fuel to them to sell you? It seems everyone has the idea that the system will still be up and running on PMs. I could be wrong so think it out for yourself.

jj

In my "end game" scenario I'd rather just be left alone than do any trading. And I'm quite aware that things like gas and electricity from generators will be a temporary luxury. The real use for PMs in trading would be exchanging from one growing season to the next or when an even exchange doesn't make sense. All in all we better pray that we don't need to use our PMs or our preps. That will be a dark day. But with the scale of escalation of indicators in the media today you better believe I'm gonna get ready just in case.

Yes, $50/ounce is still great. It will be $80-$100/ounce most likely by year end (I originally thought $60). Higher and higher demand and very little supply. 95% of the supply is fake paper silver. When that is exposed you really won't be able to put a price on it. $50 silver will seem like .01 cent silver.

All of my previous arguments are silver vs the dollar. I have no problem with other 'things'. Just not fake paper. Or something tied to fake paper. People with huge bank accounts, IRAs, stocks, etc are in the same position as owning Bernie Maddoff stocks before his Ponzi fell only 1trillion times worse. Many millionaires will become thousandaires in hours or short days.

If you purchase an AR-15 today for $800 chances are it will be worth $800 a year from now. If you buy $800 worth of silver it will probably be worth 3-10x times that amount a year from now and you can buy 3+ ARs. Hope that makes sense.

Nothing comes before the basic essentials. Water, food, tools, shelter, defense, other 'things' and then PMs. The argument made isn't silver vs everything it is silver vs PAPER. That is a no brainer.

The ill-informed will say this is all crazy. That we've all been here before. Well, no. The hundreds of trillions of derivatives. The 14 trillion debt, which is actually 15x that amount when the gov doesn't fudge numbers. All our infrastructure gutted, all manufacturing gone.

At no time in history has our economy been this screwed up nor has our morals and foundation. This is not your daddy's USA. We are cliffside but most have no idea. In 1929 we had the means to dig ourselves out. All that is gone now.

I thank those who made me aware of what was going to happen back in 2005-06. The Peter Schiffs, the Gerald Celentes. Just as those who are finally waking up now should thank those who take the time to open their eyes so they can see things the way they are, not as the corporate media is portraying them to be.

Contrary to what some may say this is not doom and gloom, or being 'negative.' It is looking clearly at facts and reasoning it out. The majority cannot do that. They believe what gives them comfort, any ridiculous belief including that the US economy cannot fail. That is why the MSM and our puppet politicians are so successful at brainwashing the masses.

OK lets think this out a bit. You bought silver with your extra money as a hedge and people will take silver in bad times. If the dollar tanks tomorrow (which it could) how will capitalism work in our system? Your money tanks who will sell you fuel? Who will bring the fuel to them to sell you? It seems everyone has the idea that the system will still be up and running on PMs. I could be wrong so think it out for yourself.

jj

you make a good point. If the economy fully tanks then PMs will not be very useful for years if not decades. But in other situations it could be VERY useful. Like the slow decline of the value of the currency...it never completely collapses, just becomes worth less and less. You've minimized your losses relative to others. Also there is nothing to stop you from cashing it out in a year or two to buy needed supplies. As long as the "system" is still functioning you can still "sell" your silver for whatever cash you might need in the shortterm, but one cannot guarantee that you will always be able to make the same trade in the other direction....it's not a fool proof plan that guards you against every possible scenario....it's just a practical example of having eggs in many baskets...

Silver will skyrocket but you better keep sharp on when to sell and make sure you have a buyer if you are tryng for the profit. For silver to skyrocket inflation is going to raise it's head and the price of everything will go up till people run out of dollars. People at some point will dump silver for food and fuel should the dollar collapse or as it tanks. It is a high risk time and should the dollar go down alot is going to change. This is the change you were promissed.

jj

Edited to add, people will buy $15 dollar silver fewer people will buy $50 silver. Should silver go to $150 how many will buy it? Or even can buy it with $10 fuel?

I will second what Noisycow said. It is silver vs paper.
For at least a year I've heard reports of the price of silver being suppressed by bullion banks, mainly JP Morgan. If you go to youtube you can find old videos that discuss this topic and people urging others to take physical delivery of silver (as well as gold) to break the scheme.
Most of the buying and price setting happens in the futures market. For those who are not familiar with the futures market, it is a market where contracts (paper) are traded at some fixed price for a physical delivery in the future (thus the name). Farmers and minors all use this market to secure and guarantee themselves an income.
What is alleged is that there is a lot more contracts out there than silver and JPM and others are shorting the market heavily, thus suppressing prices.
There are even stories where people who want to take physical delivery are being paid off with a premium not to (yeah i know you have a contract for 5,000oz of silver at $20, and it is $25 today, but how about we give you $26??) The physical delivery is not taken and the game continues.

Now with all the individuals as well as some institutions taking physical delivery, the scheme is breaking down.

As to what can happen when things break down, I would encourage people to watch this series of videos:
YouTube - Argentina's Economic Collapse - Part 1 of 12
It is about what happened in Argentina 1991 (not really that long ago.

Edited to add, people will buy $15 dollar silver fewer people will buy $50 silver. Should silver go to $150 how many will buy it? Or even can buy it with $10 fuel?

The clueless public is who buys at the end of every bubble. As a general rule, 80% of the move comes in the last 10% of the time-span in bull markets (the parabolic blow-off phase). Investing is a peculiar business; people like to buy when things are expensive, but don't buy when things are cheap and on sale.

Most people don't realize it, but in the last move the Hunt's had pretty much finished their buying in the $30-$35 range. It was the public who was standing in line for $45-$50 silver. I personally do not believe we are anywhere near the blow-off phase yet, but when the charts tell me to sell I am confident their will be plenty of people standing there ready to take my positions.

The clueless public is who buys at the end of every bubble. As a general rule, 80% of the move comes in the last 10% of the time-span in bull markets (the parabolic blow-off phase). Investing is a peculiar business; people like to buy when things are expensive, but don't buy when things are cheap and on sale.

Most people don't realize it, but in the last move the Hunt's had pretty much finished their buying in the $30-$35 range. It was the public who was standing in line for $45-$50 silver. I personally do not believe we are anywhere near the blow-off phase yet, but when the charts tell me to sell I am confident their will be plenty of people standing there ready to take my positions.

Just like houses, alot of people made money and alot got the shaft. You could see it comming when new houses far outpriced what people could pay, thus no buyers. With no buyers values fell causeing even fewer buyers. Watch your butts it is becoming risky but with risk comes great profit.

jj

OK, I bit and wasted 15 minutes of my life reading this post. No one can predict the future in the short term, and I believe I know the long term future, but that is another topic. Gold, silver, water, food......it won't matter if a nuke is dropped anywhere near (unless you have a stocked cave picked out or a bomb shelter built in your house, which might not be a bad idea for the short haul). To you who believe that silver is going to $800 and ounce or even $100, I have a question. Have you begged, barrowed and scraped every penny you can muster and bought silver? If not, I don't think you believe what you are saying. Don't fight this life too hard, I only know of two that have ever made it out alive :) Common sense, diversification, moderation might be some key words. Being prepared isn't a bad idea at all, but you ain't going to live forever.......... I don't care who you are ;-)

OK, I bit and wasted 15 minutes of my life reading this post. No one can predict the future in the short term, and I believe I know the long term future, but that is another topic. Gold, silver, water, food......it won't matter if a nuke is dropped anywhere near (unless you have a stocked cave picked out or a bomb shelter built in your house, which might not be a bad idea for the short haul). To you who believe that silver is going to $800 and ounce or even $100, I have a question. Have you begged, barrowed and scraped every penny you can muster and bought silver? If not, I don't think you believe what you are saying. Don't fight this life too hard, I only know of two that have ever made it out alive :) Common sense, diversification, moderation might be some key words. Being prepared isn't a bad idea at all, but you ain't going to live forever.......... I don't care who you are ;-)

so I guess since we're all going to die anyways; we should just sit idly by and let it all happen to us? after all, the end result is the same. Is that your point?

I'll go ahead and continue preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Good luck to you in your life's plan. I sincerely hope you find happiness. ( for what it's worth; I actually do mean that, it's not sarcasm...)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top