JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to get an understanding here, guys...not meaning to insult or bash anyone's plans, just have a few questions about why you are stocking up on Gold/Silver.

1) Are you stocking up on Gold/Silver at your residence?

To me, I think this tactic is foolhardy. If you have to vacate your residence for any reason (raiders, wild fire, government led searches, etc.) you might as well be a bank waiting to be robbed. Are you burying it a cache somewhere? Do you plan to just "ride out" whatever is happening, hopping it will pass you buy? If so, don't you think that this might backfire against you as you keep all your eggs in one basket?

2) Do you have a balanced proportion of food, guns and gear with your Gold/Silver?

I know a coworker that has invested his entire lifesavings in Gold. He has a sound retirement plan and hundreds of thousands of dollars in investments and actual Gold in his hand from him actually panning it himself! Nevertheless, he is probably going to die of old age before he can enjoy a penny of his labor efforts and has no supplies in case of TEOTWAWKI. So lets face it, Gold, money, heck any valuable in your home is only as worth as much as the person on the other end of the table is willing to trade for it. If the person you are trading with needs batteries, then what worth to him will be a silver coin? Having said that, do you have a plan to defend you hard earned spoils? Gold/Silver may be a great investment for a depression-like era in the 1960's, but don't you think having a good balance of other supplies to ride out the hard times is a better investment than begging for food with your coins?

3) Do you have actual Gold/Silver in your possession, or in stock?

I think this is counterproductive. If you invest in Gold/Silver due to a collapse in our market system but give a dime to something that isn't tangible you might as well be throwing your money in the fire- hopping it won't burn because it's in the corner and not in the middle.

I'm not naive enough to think that people who have Gold/Silver during an economic crisis won't be the one's who prosper financially than those who aren't. You will literally be a rich man among peasants. Nevertheless, that will make you more of a target when you're the one handing out coins while people are burning their bills for a fire somewhere to be warm. If you are stashing your Gold/Silver someplace, waiting for the right time to retrieve it as the economy recovers then I think you have all the angles figured out and are probably more prepared than even 90% of the actual "preppers" out there. Nevertheless, you should have a balance of what is valuable to re-transition into our new economy and what will keep you breathing during the SHTF stage. Food, Water, Shelter should be the top priority (in my eyes). Then guns and ammo to keep your supplies- THEN Gold/Silver to recover. It's just my 2 cents, tell me your opinions.

...Nevertheless, you should have a balance of what is valuable to re-transition into our new economy and what will keep you breathing during the SHTF stage. Food, Water, Shelter should be the top priority (in my eyes). Then guns and ammo to keep your supplies- THEN Gold/Silver to recover. It's just my 2 cents, tell me your opinions...

I don't disagree with that at all. I invest/speculate in metals stocks, and own some funds that hold physical metal (CEF, Sprott). To me that is a safe way to eliminate the "theft" factor. Have done that for 11 years now, but making sure we had the other areas covered came first.

I know a coworker that has invested his entire lifesavings in Gold. He has a sound retirement plan and hundreds of thousands of dollars in investments and actual Gold in his hand from him actually panning it himself! Nevertheless, he is probably going to die of old age before he can enjoy a penny of his labor efforts and has no supplies in case of TEOTWAWKI.

You missed something. Whoever inherits his gold won't pay a dime in taxes, unless it's declared somewhere. Every other inheritance of any value is usually well documented and titled (real property, stocks, etc) and thus taxes of some kind will have to be paid.
I hope he's got heirs, anyway.

Last Edited:
Not everyone has guns, ammo or a ton of food. If you are thinking about trade, then everything makes sense to have in your "toolbox". We have a store that clothing, shoes and camping equipment may be a trading tool. It all may come down to the biggest gun, or the one that fires first has everything. Gold and silver is not always for SHTF. How about an investment? It is no different than stocks or bonds for retirement. Except that you really do own the metal. I overpaid for silver ($20 per oz.) and now i am laughing at $44.00 per oz. Tomorrow it may be $10 per oz. But then, what may the $$$ be.

Not everyone has guns, ammo or a ton of food. If you are thinking about trade, then everything makes sense to have in your "toolbox". We have a store that clothing, shoes and camping equipment may be a trading tool. It all may come down to the biggest gun, or the one that fires first has everything. Gold and silver is not always for SHTF. How about an investment? It is no different than stocks or bonds for retirement. Except that you really do own the metal. I overpaid for silver ($20 per oz.) and now i am laughing at $44.00 per oz. Tomorrow it may be $10 per oz. But then, what may the $$$ be.

I'm not bashing Gold/Silver investors...I think you misunderstand me (or you sell Gold/Silver yourself). I'm actually FOR buying Gold/Silver.

However, I think...

1) You should have Gold/Silver in your possession
2) You should stash it
3) It should be lower on the priority scale than food, guns or other supplies

I hope in the future, people actually read my entire post.

I do have *some* silver on hand in case the SHTF.

I'm not using it as an investment strategy.

I also have lots of guns, ammo and food.

Personally though, I'd rather trade some silver for something I need than to arm or equip someone I may not know all that well.

I'm not bashing Gold/Silver investors...I think you misunderstand me (or you sell Gold/Silver yourself). I'm actually FOR buying Gold/Silver.

However, I think...

2) You should stash it

Actually reading your original post, you do come across as ridiculing those who invest in gold and silver. The post is written as if by an amateur politician, - trying to appeal to all side, but yet managing to touch a nerve in some.

I will indulge and tackle the 3 points you've made. I agree with number one. I also agree with number two, if you mean by stashing as to have physical but secure possession.
Point number three is more difficult and nuanced. Gold takes very little space to store quite a bit of value. A 1oz gold coin is nearly the same size a half dollar coin. Each one of these is currently worth about $1,500.00. So a traditional roll of these coins has a value of $30,000.
How much food and guns do you have to buy to store that much wealth?
You can be pretty certain that anyone that posts on this board owns firearms. However, unless you are buying some real high end or rare guns it will take a lot of space to store $30,000 worth of guns.

Actually reading your original post, you do come across as ridiculing those who invest in gold and silver. The post is written as if by an amateur politician, - trying to appeal to all side, but yet managing to touch a nerve in some.

I will indulge and tackle the 3 points you've made. I agree with number one. I also agree with number two, if you mean by stashing as to have physical but secure possession.
Point number three is more difficult and nuanced. Gold takes very little space to store quite a bit of value. A 1oz gold coin is nearly the same size a half dollar coin. Each one of these is currently worth about $1,500.00. So a traditional roll of these coins has a value of $30,000.
How much food and guns do you have to buy to store that much wealth?
You can be pretty certain that anyone that posts on this board owns firearms. However, unless you are buying some real high end or rare guns it will take a lot of space to store $30,000 worth of guns.

Wow, I honestly don't know how to reply to this. Your arguement about purchasing Gold is from a storage standpoint? You're comparing the storage space of Gold coins to that of guns, therefore you can store more gold in a storage space than you can guns?

I honestly don't know how to reply to that...

Looks fellas, all I'm saying is that maybe the priorities are a little off (or maybe I need to invest MORE in Gold/Silver versus telling you guys to invest more in supplies). My argument is that Gold isn't going to save your life- unless someone is going to murder you without said amount of gold. What IS going to save your life is a water filter, garden seeds, first aid supplies and antibiotics. If you truely think that TEOTWAWKI is around the corner and you have the presence of mind to invest in gold, why not invest in other things as well? Why not own a generator or solar panels? Because they're too expensive? So you're saying that you are willing to save up for an once of Gold/Silver, but not a wheat grinder because you can throw an once of gold in a box under your bed but a wheat grinder is too bulky to store?

Wow...I think I'm at a loss guys...

ENJOY YOUR GOLD!

I read your post carefully and rarely do I do any hopping :biglaugh:

I'm not certain what your intentions are of posting such a statement other than to educate others on how they should spend their money and with what priority they should make those purchases. It has always been my intention to ask questions to obtain information that matter to myself. Instead it comes across as the answer to a question that was never asked.

But to stay on topic, precious metals do not make you wealthy, they preserve the wealth you already had and fluctuate with whatever fiat currency is accepted in your area. While I don't disagree with your logic and priority, I would strongly emphasize investing in the individual by learning a skill to earn a wage or traded goods, and having the means to ensure that skill and the process of earning, is renewable. For example, owning handsaws, chain saws, axes, etc and a truck/wagon/horse to be able to process and sell firewood, with the means to maintain the equipment and fuel them. That is something that may keep you alive longer than stockpiles of food/water/shelter. Which is why I would strongly suggest to the prepping type to invest in themselves. I know a homeless man who didn't want to beg for money but earned enough to get by with a knife sharpening kit, sharpening knives for people on the street.

I believe about anyone reading the Preparedness and Survival section of a gun forum has a gun and ammo at least, if not food stores or working on building them up. Silver has attracted a lot of attention in the last six months but not everyone has been financially ready or committed to make such an investment. Some have, and good on you, but the level of preparedness does not often progress with even levels of guns, gear, gold and God at the same time.

Whether we like it or not, we're all in this together. The more you can get the word out to your friends and family of taking accountability and responsibility for yourself, the better off we will all be.

Wow, I honestly don't know how to reply to this. Your arguement about purchasing Gold is from a storage standpoint? You're comparing the storage space of Gold coins to that of guns, therefore you can store more gold in a storage space than you can guns?

I honestly don't know how to reply to that...

That was not my point. My point was that once you have the firearms and ammo and whatever else that you think you'll need, gold is the most efficient way to store and preserve your wealth. This subject has been hashed and rehashed just a couple of weeks ago on here. If you are truly looking for some insights to people's thinking then find that thread and read it.

when it takes a wheelbarrow full of dollars to buy a loaf of bread i'll pay off everything i owe with an oz of silver. Yep guns ammo and food are real good to have a bunch of also, no i will not be bugging out and don't even think of trying to bug out to here. if you "bug out" you will be bugging in to someone else's area.

However, I think...

2) You should stash it

I totally agree. We do physically posess a bit of silver. I'll say that I've paid about $400 for my silver...it's worth MORE than that:D...I won't say how much....;)

I also physically posess hundreds of pounds of food stored in buckets, tubs and #10 cans and a few firearms and some ammo. I've spent about $6,500 on all of that.

Here is my hierarchy of survival needs:

1. WATER!!!!!! reliable, safe and ideally reproducible (i.e. well water, spring)
2. Food. LOTS. more than you think you'll ever need;
3. Protection & security (guns, ammo & the like...)
4. more FOOD; you can use this to "buy" allies such as neighbors, or "buy" valuables
5. More FOOD; to use for barter, charity or self preservation....
6. Medical & first aid tools, skills & knowledge
7. Fuel- ideally renewable such as solar, wind, kinetic
8. precious metals (if nothing else, to leave as an inheritance when TEOTWAWKI is over)
9. well, if you've got all that covered...you should get some more FOOD! :s0155:

Here is my hierarchy of survival needs:

1. WATER!!!!!! reliable, safe and ideally reproducible (i.e. well water, spring)
2. Food. LOTS. more than you think you'll ever need;
3. Protection & security (guns, ammo & the like...)
4. more FOOD; you can use this to "buy" allies such as neighbors, or "buy" valuables
5. More FOOD; to use for barter, charity or self preservation....
6. Medical & first aid tools, skills & knowledge
7. Fuel- ideally renewable such as solar, wind, kinetic
8. precious metals (if nothing else, to leave as an inheritance when TEOTWAWKI is over)
9. well, if you've got all that covered...you should get some more FOOD! :s0155:

Great list!

If you live in the woods you can set up a still. In a TEOTWAWKI situation you will be able to trade a little fine home brew distiled spirits for gold, silver, ammo, or almost anything else folks can spare, at least before they run out. History shows how Joe Kennedy used booze to take advantage of the great depression and prohibition to get ultra rich. Besides it makes a great disinfectant and mouth wash.

when it takes a wheelbarrow full of dollars to buy a loaf of bread i'll pay off everything i owe with an oz of silver. Yep guns ammo and food are real good to have a bunch of also, no i will not be bugging out and don't even think of trying to bug out to here. if you "bug out" you will be bugging in to someone else's area.

When bread costs that much what makes you think silver will have any value? If money has no value whos going to put value on a metal that makes a real good conductor and a bunch of pretty stuff.

I think if things get to that point you would be better off with a lot of other things.

When bread costs that much what makes you think silver will have any value? If money has no value whos going to put value on a metal that makes a real good conductor and a bunch of pretty stuff.

I think if things get to that point you would be better off with a lot of other things.

It's the paper currency that is losing value. Relative to other things silver and gold and led and steel and other commodities should maintain their value -sort of, there are always variations due to supply and demand.

I hold silver so its on-hand. Its not much, but for the reason of liquidity. If the markets went down or the banks were closed for whatever reasons, (9/11) you could take that to a shop ect. and sell it for cash. In In all reality of a chaotic shtf or what have. You are going to react and do what fits the situation by instinct. Planing is good but dose every thing go as planed???

My grandpa told me, "The world would be a perfict place if everyone was responsible for there own bubblegum."

"The only problem arguing with an idiot, is eventually there are two." (not meant as criticism, food for thought)

This thread has to be about SHTF because investing in metals is not about the end of the world. To me, it is about getting out of paper money (at a 3 year low) and putting it into something that is increasing in value. Last summer silver was $20oz and now it is $45oz. Tomorrow who knows. That is much different than the end of times senerio. That $20 in your pocket will be worthless if anything were to happen. That piece of metal will be worth something. So will everything else on our list. I cannot eat my metal, but I should be able to trade it for food or anything else of value. Of course, the man with the biggest gun wins.

I hold silver so its on-hand. Its not much, but for the reason of liquidity. If the markets went down or the banks were closed for whatever reasons, (9/11) you could take that to a shop ect. and sell it for cash. In In all reality of a chaotic shtf or what have. You are going to react and do what fits the situation by instinct. Planing is good but dose every thing go as planed???

My grandpa told me, "The world would be a perfict place if everyone was responsible for there own bubblegum."

"The only problem arguing with an idiot, is eventually there are two." (not meant as criticism, food for thought)

So you actually think that once you trade silver for cash in a stock market crash the money in your hand will be worth something? For SHTF purpose the only way Gold/Silver would benifit you is if (or when) a new currency is created once the grid comes back up. THEN you will be sitting large on your investment.

This thread has to be about SHTF because investing in metals is not about the end of the world. To me, it is about getting out of paper money...

+1.

Jim Sinclair’s Commentary today:
"The USDX is going to take out .7200 and lock below. Gold will leave $1650 in the dust. History will be written this year."

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top