JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Funny enough [in a way, that is] a number of people have been shot, some even killed, by what must have been the venerable .44 Russian made by Smith & Wesson for the Tsar. See, here in yUK, there is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG list of so-called obsolete calibre firearms that anybody over the age of 18 can buy without any kind of license. This is because the ammunition is, in theory, no longer available.

But horror upon horror, SOMEBODY is actually obtaining primers and other reloading supplies, making the ammunition, and handing it over to CRIMINALS. We call these people CRIMINALS, and amazingly, they do NOT obey the LAW, because there are, uh, criminals.

Trouble is that ordinary law-abiding people are getting looked at in a way that is not supportive of their collecting habit, and there are moves afoot to REGISTER antique firearms.

Of all kinds.

The Tower of London, just one example, has around a quarter of a million antique firearms in the collection. The Royal Armouries about the same, and almost EVERY castle and stately home in the entire UK has walls covered with them. Just one well-known location in Scotland has around 40,000 scattered all over the place, just in case you ever wanted to know where all the missing Brown Bess muskets were. Every preserved warship has hundreds of muskets and pistols...

Common sense has gone, folks.

You are not wrong, Sir. Fer'instance, I can, and do, own almost twenty cartridge and ball-shooting rifled firearms here in yUK, not one of which produces less than around 140ft lbs m/e - that's the .22LR. I have seven of those rifles. I also have a couple each of 7.5x55, .308Win, 7x57, a 6.5x55 and a .45-70 Govt. And others.

However, I am prohibited from buying ANY airsoft 'gun', gas or electric, because it looks 'too real'. These are also limited to 1 joule m/e. Take, for example, this Tokyo Marui airsoft Glock -

tokyo-marui-g17-1.jpg

However, I CAN buy THIS pellet or BB-firing version -

glock-17-900x800.gif

See the difference?

Neither can I.

I wonder if the increase in fatalities between 9mm and .357/45acp can be attributed to the idea that 45 and 357 are more often carried by old timers who might be more proficient with their pistols?

How about the increase in total shootings with 9mm? How many of those could be attributed to drive by, spray and pray type shootings by gang bangers?
Exactly what popped up in my mind. 9mm is readily available, especially to new shooters. 9mm also are high capacity round, where it wouldn't surprise me if shooters with something like .357 might attempt to make their shots count for more.

Exactly what popped up in my mind. 9mm is readily available, especially to new shooters. 9mm also are high capacity round, where it wouldn't surprise me if shooters with something like .357 might attempt to make their shots count for more.
And you know ever swangin dick out there uses ball in their 9 because it's what they had/have.

Lol, .357 and 9mm are the same size.
Hold it there Pilgrim. 9mm = .354-.356, .355 nominal. .357 = .356-.358, .357 nominal
So there's a whole .001 difference. :eek:
I recall back in the Days of Darkness (Pre-Heller) some Prog icon senator wanted to tax 9mm ammo @ 10,000% :mad: so that .001 might be important.

Speaking bullets doing weird things. When target shooting sometimes I hear the "pew" of the bullet flying down range but not always. I was told that is the tail end of the bullet wobbling or oscillating thru the air. Any truth to that?

Im going to refrain from googling the answer to what caliber killed the archduke, but I'll guess it was a .25. I remember it being a small pistol caliber.

Bullet placement matters more than anything.

N.Y. Times Inadvertently Proves that Stoppin' Powah Don't Matter (or Does It?) -

It can also be argued that all else being equal, the more shots fired, the more likely a bullet is to find a vital organ, even if just by chance.

So lots of other factors:

How close you are to the target
How well the firearm can be shot by the shooter (ergos, sight radius, etc., can count for a lot here)
How many shots can be fired

And so on...

It'd be nice to see a study on the interplay between lethality (addressed in the OP's chart) and stopping power. The shot(s) and caliber resulted in death, but how long did it take? The article also says most of the fatalities were from a single bullet wound. So the unanswered question is what was quicker to bring about incapacitation? Ultimately that's what I'd want in a SD firearm.

I have found that the more proficient one becomes, the more comfortable one is with carrying a firearm of less capacity. That being said after forty years of ownership and fifty years of shooting handguns, a 1911 is a favorite go to gun. I still own high capacity fire arms though, just in case "something " really needs a whole bunch of closely grouped holes.

Aim for the eyes or ears, incapacity is instant.
Practice shooting the bottoms out of soda cans through the hole in the top.

I agree stoutly with the above posit. Back when we were learning to snap shoot with our SLRs - FAL to you - in the fighting village training set-up, our training Colour Sergeant, a veteran of Aden and Oman and a bouncy little Para, taught us to shoot 'em in the eye - any eye'....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top