JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Droid is already eating Apple's lunch. It's not a bad time to convert stocks into tangible assets. Thanks for the pointers on Silver in downtown Portland. I'll be looking into that.

As an investor I've followed Apple and the computer and phone industries daily for 10 years. Market share is not a good measure of success. Whatever Apple's market share is at the moment, it has 90% of the smart phone and tablet profits at the moment. You can have 100 million bargain basement customers and still go broke. Just ask Dell about that. Yes, you can sell a lot of Droids when you are giving them away on a buy one get one free deal. Yes, your smart phone operating system will be popular if you give it away and allow the phone carriers to cripple it so they can charge customers for features like tethering. But the customer doesn't see how "smart" you are being. All they know is that the product is unusable and a pain in the butt. They may put up with that of they are basically cheapskates, but if they are, why would you want them as customers? That model hasn't worked for Dell, or Rhapsody, or Sony, or anyone else in the long run. Apple is not stupid.

I'm making 30% to 50% a year on Apple every year. How's gold compare to that?

Last Edited:

When an investor finds their niche, it is a wonderful thing. You have done well with Apple year after year. Tech puts me to sleep. I find the tech sector extremely boring, so Apple would not have been a good fit for me (following it would feel too much like "work" :D). So, "how's gold compare to that?" you ask...

The answer is: Quite nicely.

Example:
ATAC Resources - Went from $.075 December 08 to $8.95 November 2010. (Not a stock recommendation. I sold my position on the run-up, and have replaced it with other juniors.)

When an investor finds their niche, it is a wonderful thing. You have done well with Apple year after year. Tech puts me to sleep. I find the tech sector extremely boring, so Apple would not have been a good fit for me (following it would feel too much like "work" :D). So, "how's gold compare to that?" you ask...

The answer is: Quite nicely.

Example:
ATAC Resources - Went from $.075 December 08 to $8.95 November 2010. (Not a stock recommendation. I sold my position on the run-up, and have replaced it with other juniors.)

Well, that's about double what Apple has done in the last 8 years. I think people have caught on to Apple now though. It might have one more double left in it. I'm actually looking for someplace else to put my money now. Have considered a small position in SLW, but at the prices it was say 2 months ago. Silver is on the downswing a little now, if I'm remembering correctly.

Check out scottsdalesilver.com, apmex, etc for decent prices, but local will probably be best.

Junk silver (pre 1964) should go for spot price at max.

As an investor I've followed Apple and the computer and phone industries daily for 10 years. Market share is not a good measure of success. Whatever Apple's market share is at the moment, it has 90% of the smart phone and tablet profits at the moment. You can have 100 million bargain basement customers and still go broke. Just ask Dell about that. Yes, you can sell a lot of Droids when you are giving them away on a buy one get one free deal. Yes, your smart phone operating system will be popular if you give it away and allow the phone carriers to cripple it so they can charge customers for features like tethering. But the customer doesn't see how "smart" you are being. All they know is that the product is unusable and a pain in the butt. They may put up with that of they are basically cheapskates, but if they are, why would you want them as customers? That model hasn't worked for Dell, or Rhapsody, or Sony, or anyone else in the long run. Apple is not stupid.

Well, I've been in the telecom and computer industry for even longer than that. Dell hasn't gone anywhere (unfortunately, I hate their servers). Everybody I know who has a Droid phone loves it. I will almost certainly switch when I get home (I have an iPhone 3g that is well past warranty that I jailbroke and unlocked to work on the Afghan network Roshan. I still like it.) My Nook that I just bought runs on Droid, and so far I like it better than the iPad, at least for the price. When I bought my iPhone it was the slickest interface and most functional PAD on the market, much less PDA phone combo. That is debatable, now.

Speaking of crippling the OS- that's exactly what Apple did with the iPhone- crippled it by locking down features that might interfere with their content marketing strategy through iTunes, keeping you from tethering or using it as a WiFi hotspot, and locked you into one carrier (until just now, how many years later?)

I'm not gonna get much further into the particular discussion of Apple's shortcomings, because the real fanboys just get hot and bothered by it, and are not amenable to rational discussion of the advantages and disadvantages to it, much like 1911 heroes. Some things are just religion and can't be reasoned about.

Tangent: Given the lack of privacy with smartphones I'll do without.

Regarding buying silver... yes. Go get some... no really, go get some right now.

-d

So what would you call $33.50?
London and Hong Kong are not closed today.
COMEX will be very interesting tomorrow!

Kitco is showing live price in New York at $33.93.
I wish I bought more a couple of weeks ago. Oh well, looks like it is heading higher, but it could be just a spike and then drop again.
Too much manipulation by the big boys to be able to tell.

Silver has been on a tear. There is another thing that we all need to keep eye on - ammo and components.
With the cost of all the commodities at record highs it will not be long before ammo and its components will be going up in price.
If you don't have a good stash it would be wise to pick up what you can before the prices increase.

Of course we could all wake up tomorrow and discover that the Middle East has gone not only democratic but also secular and Obama issued orders to bring all the forces home from Iraq and Afghanistan. In addition to all that good news the folks at some lab also discovered a new design for an engine that runs on water and we no longer need to use fossil fuels.
I just would not bet on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads