JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ben Franklin would not agree. He made many statements about real money vs the elite foreign bankers and their fractional reserve banking system that wanted (and eventually did) to ensnare our country into debt. All paper fiat money is debt.

Silver isn't meant to replace guns/ammo, food, tools, etc. In other words, in regards to SHTF, it isn't meant to replace anyTHING. Silver, for the informed person, is there for your for monetary/wealth defense. If you are counting on anything paper to be there for you post SHTF or even as the economy worsens and we continue to try and print our way out, think again. That means stocks, savings, checking, IRAs/bonds, CDs, hoping for social security, annuities, etc, etc. All those things are tied into the paper ponzi that will go poof.

Physical silver is not bought instead of guns, bread, or a 18V drill. Those are things. Silver is bought because when the paper ponzi implodes it will be worth something while paper assets are going to evaporate.

Silver, even at $28 is much harder to come by then I have ever seen before. The REAL supply is dwindling very fast as people are waking up and seeing that QE1, QE2, QE3, QE4, etc is nothing more than debt dismissal via a giant digital printing press. That will clobber or debt as the dollar freefalls, but it will also clobber you.

APMEX.com is a good source. You can buy/sell/trade just like anything else. Silver near melt value in generic rounds (coins) is a safe bet.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube about silver 'investing'. Fortunately for me, I saw Peter Schiff speak years ago and avoided losing my butt in real estate and paper. It takes a change in mindset to 'invest in precious metals'. We are programmed from day one to believe the safest place to save is a bank. It is not.

Just remember, silver is meant to replace paper. It isn't meant to replace hard assets. Some may disagree with that, but most that invest in silver would concur.

For a glimpse of Americas monetary future, look to Greece, Argentina (circa 2001), Germany post WWII, USSR circa 1989, or even Zimbabwe where a 100 trillion dollar note may buy you a pack of gum.

Every country throughout history that tried to print themselves out of an economic collapse failed. There are no exceptions. We will definitely not be the first to succeed just because we are Americans. Like a bumper sticker I saw once said - "All Empires Fail, but not this one. Ours will last forever."

"The refusal of King George III to allow the colonies to operate an honest money system, which freed the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators was probably the prime cause of the revolution." Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father.

Ben Franklin would not agree...

All good points. I wish people could learn to distinguish between monetary assets (which AU and AG are), and the other hard assets/tangibles (guns, ammo, food, whatever). For example, ammo will never become a monetary asset. A trading/barter asset yes (as it is now), but some folks expect it to become the "new currency" (won't happen).

Ireland is having some major issues as well. I also agree if we don't change the way we do business we will be in the same boat, or much much worse since we'll drag everyone down with us. My dad and I were watching the state of the union last night and Obama kept say how we needed to get the debt in line and control spending over and over, then the next sentence was how he had a multi billion dollar that we needed. Hmm. Also agree since our currency is not backed by gold anymore it basically is debt. Modern currency would blow your mind to even grasp what gives it value and what holds our economy together, and since we have such a high debt load, almost 1 to 1 meaning we have a 14.75 trillion GDP, and we are at 14.07 trillion in debt, that is not good.

And another thing, if the few guys who truly rule the world at the top decide its time to pull the plug on the american dollar, we are all F*cked as we know it. A few bars of silver aren't going to save you or hedge you against our economy collapsing. But hey do what you want its your money.

Modern currency would blow your mind to even grasp what gives it value and what holds our economy together...

I view currencies as "representing the common shares of a nation" (as Jim Sinclair puts it). Thinking in those terms helps to determine which currencies one would want to own, and which they should avoid. Not fool-proof of course, but way better than just sticking one's head in the sand and holding only the currency of one's country of residence (if that country is in trouble).

And another thing, if the few guys who truly rule the world at the top decide its time to pull the plug on the american dollar, we are all F*cked as we know it. A few bars of silver aren't going to save you or hedge you against our economy collapsing. But hey do what you want its your money.

Is this the Bobbie Mcfarrin view of the world? He had that smash hit "Don't Worry, Be Happy" a while back. LOL!

Seriously, what do you think is an effective hedge against this possibility, if any? Just curious.

A question for you PM folks... I have a couple dozen pre-1965 quarters and another dozen or so pre-1965 dimes... would it be worth cashing those in and taking the proceeds and getting some silver rounds or eagles instead? I realize I might take a loss but I'm think that when it comes down to it most people will at least understand that rounds and eagles are silver and accept them with less hassle compared to old dimes and quarters...

Thoughts?

-d

Decker

A question for you PM folks... I have a couple dozen pre-1965 quarters and another dozen or so pre-1965 dimes... would it be worth cashing those in and taking the proceeds and getting some silver rounds or eagles instead? I realize I might take a loss but I'm think that when it comes down to it most people will at least understand that rounds and eagles are silver and accept them with less hassle compared to old dimes and quarters...

I have some silver quarters and half dollars that I got when the dealer didn't have enough oz. rounds and i had thought about selling/trading them for 1 oz. peaces later for the same reason. What i have thought about more recently is the it might be nice to have some silver in smaller denominations. I have also come to realize that a lot more people than you might expect know that pre 65 coins are 90% silver. Walmart probably wont accept them at anything more than face value, but will Wlmart have anything to buy anyway?

APMEX.com is a good source. You can buy/sell/trade just like anything else. Silver near melt value in generic rounds (coins) is a safe bet.

I totally agree. If you can buy in bulk, the better off you are. Granted, you will have to pay shipping, but IMO I'd rather have .999% silver in 1 troy ounce coins as opposed to old US coins that can be anywhere from 40 to 90% silver.

Affordable Jewlers. I have made two trips to them. They run around $1.50 over the spot price or Northwest Teritorial Mint in Kent WA. you can look them up online. ajpm.com and nwtm.com. You pay more at nwtm for quantities under 50oz.

2 things.
I would keep your old silver coins. The silver content in them is well known to those who deal in silver so they are worth as much as the silver content.
If you are buying silver, the only way to buy is 1 oz. silver rounds. Don't bother with the Eagles or Canadian Maples - you will be overpaying for the silver content.
In my opinion the best place to buy silver rounds is Lear Capital. They have the lowest premium over the spot price.
If you can afford to order at least $1,500.00 and have not bought from them before than you can use a coupon code to get free shipping.
Here's the code - 7B6D9.

If you are buying gold, then it is a tossup between Lear and Apmex. Lear will usually have better prices on items that both carry, but Apmex carries a lot more different gold that Lear does not. Some of these have very low markup.

Silver isn't going to be worth a damn when SHTF, guns will and especially ammo. My 2 cents :)

Name me one time or one place in history when silver was worthless....Run right past the third world straight to the fifth world, in the middle of full out shtf and it had more value than ever.

For a glimpse of Americas monetary future, look to Greece, Argentina (circa 2001), Germany post WWII, USSR circa 1989, or even Zimbabwe where a 100 trillion dollar note may buy you a pack of gum.

Someone who is paying attention. And in all those cases Silver & Gold had value. Read feral blogs from Argentina on what to have.

Name me one time or one place in history when silver was worthless....Run right past the third world straight to the fifth world, in the middle of full out shtf and it had more value than ever.

That is an important point. The hard currencies always have value. Even foreign currencies of stable countries retain value in situations where the local currency does not. People need to study history.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top