JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
People ask me why I own military style riles. I start by telling them the world is an evil place with evil people and I wish to be as prepared as I possibly can to protect myself and my family.

Why do I feel the world is an evil place with evil people let us look at the past.

I am in my 50s and I once lived in a time and location that cars where left unlocked with the keys in the ignition and my family had no worries or thoughts that someone would ever take it. Our front door was unlocked and during the summer it was left open along with the windows to allow it to cool down at night with no worries or thoughts about anybody breaking in.

As a kid in junior high and high school I hitched hiked to the lake with a buddy during the summer months or rode my bike cycle across town and my parents never worried that something bad would happen.

Was there evil during this time the answer is yes as evil has always existed it just had not got to us yet. When I first realized that evil existed was in the early 70s with the trials of Charles Manson. Then around 1973 my buddy and I were hitch hiking into Spokane as usual and were picked up by a 20ish male and female with long hair and garb typical of the end of the hippy era. We got about a mile down the road when the female turned around in the front seat and pulled a large kitchen knife and started yelling and threatening us so when the car pulled up to a red light we bailed before it completely stopped leaving the doors wide open and ran for blocks and hid in someone’s back yard until we felt safe. We walked home and never hitch hiked again. Before this event the worst that ever happened was you where picked up by a born again Christian who would preach to you for the whole ride.

Not long after this a neighbors house was broke into and some vandals broke out the front windows of another’s house down the block. The innocents of our area were changed forever.

I was stationed at Whidbey Is air base in the late 70s early 80s during the time of the I-5 killings between Oregon and Washington. Quite often I would travel from Whidbey to the Spokane valley where I grew sometimes sleeping in my car in truck stops when I got tired. Because of the stuff going on with the I-5 killings and the world in general I decided to get my Washington Concealed Permit when I turned 21.

So now let us move up to today crime is ramped and almost no one leaves anything unlocked, we have security cameras in many homes, apartments and almost all business.

I have seen violence across the country grow and respect for others is now close to nonexistent. I watched on TV the LA riots (Rodney King Riots), the Oklahoma bombing and seen the 911 twin towers fall. Schools, Airports and State and federal buildings are on constant watch and lock down.
People say that the police and the government will keep us safe and I ask where they were during the school shootings, the Oklahoma bombing and 911.

During the LA riots they surrounded the area and waited for the destruction to die down before moving in by that time the place had almost burnt to the ground. The only buildings that survived were the ones guarded by the owners with firearms. This is not a ding on law enforcement they cannot be everywhere and they are not supermen who can foil crime before it happens even though they try their utmost to.

Even the Supreme court said law enforcement does not have to protect you if they feel it is a threat to their life even though many will and with pride.

The government scares me especially when you look at Ruby Ridge, Waco and Katrina and now Fast and Furious where our government allowed firearms to go to Mexico by the hundreds and possibly the thousands then blamed the civilians for running the guns. One of these killed a US border agent and just Saturday another gun let through was found at a crime seen in Mexico.

I look at the news and wonder why all the agencies show up after the fact with all their military rifles it is because there still may be a bad guy and they want to be prepared.

This is why I feel the need to have a military style rifle it is to protect my family when the police are not there and the government cannot protect me. I do not want them to show up after I am dead to assess the crime scene.

I want to be the one who lives.

Do we ask similar questions to people with poser-trucks? You know, the guys with a shiny new chromed-up truck, fancy differentials and the whole shazam, that drive from suburb to office parking lot and the shopping center and rush out to polish the rims after a drop of rain.

The point is: don't let yourself get pushed into defense. There is no need to. Why do you have it? Because you can. Don't try to win them over, it's impossible.

Funny, (or not), I'm in my fifties too, and did a lot of the same things as you did when you were young. I lived in a burb of SLC Utah, ran the fields, "Thumbed" or biked our way around town. When we turned 16 we drove all over the place. Granted Utah was a great place to raise a kid. Back then I figure bad influences didn't start coming into play until well into high school.

One thing we didn't do, and I figure you didn't do either, was watch the news. We were not to talk to strangers, and we developed our spidey senses to know where to/not to go. Of course this was before the media turned into a circus, and became "Info-tainment" rather than news. I contend evil WAS present at the time, you just didn't hear about it so much. Much of the evil done 40 or 50 years ago would not have had the hype it gets today. In the 50s-60s a double murder two states away would have MAYBE got a mere mention on the one hour per day, per channel national news. Remember Huntley & Brinkley? GOOD NIGHT CHET. These days the media search high and low for the most depraved, disgusting, degenerate behavior they can find. Then they "Play" it to you to get the biggest reaction they can. They are sure as hell getting a reaction this time.
Pathetic......

There has always been, and will always be evil people, and nothing will ever change that.

Mike

Great thread, I am very similar in my age and experiences. Like you I've seen too much and am as best prepared as possible to face our scary future. No one is going to disarm me and I have planned contingencies so that will never happen

BTW my wife agrees and has several AR15s

I simply tell them because I can. I get to enjoy the freedoms only others can dream about. And I'm not just talking in third world dictatorships either. But "free" countries like Australia, Canada, and The UK.

Great topic and probably a question that will come up more and more with the state our society is in. While I do agree with Botte Hork that we should not have to be defensive about our civil rights but to have a well thought, rational answer such as yours, is a good thing. I don't own any "assault" rifles as the media, gov, etc like to refer to them as and don't have a big desire to own one, I do have friends who own them and fully support our right to own them. When I am asked similar questions about gun ownership, my typical response is that I would be more than willing to give up my firearms if it can be guaranteed that all firearms will be gone, meaning police won't have them, military won't have them. Then when they tell me how unrealistic that is, I tell them how unrealistic any sort of gun control is to making our country safe.

During the Revolutionary War we were armed with the same or even better weapons(rifle vs smooth bore musket) so why is our government so afraid of the same situation nowadays? The arms gap between civilian and military is 200 times what is was in the 1770's.

Botte Hork
The point is: don't let yourself get pushed into defense. There is no need to. Why do you have it? Because you can. Don't try to win them over, it's impossible.

I agree with you as you will not changes a persons mind if they will not listen but some times you might change the person who just doesn’t under stand and if you explain it in a non threatening manner they may lean your way. Not just firearm folk read these pages I have sent people looking for answers as to why we feel so strongly about firearms to read our posts. Some times it helps sometimes it doesn’t.

MikeJ
One thing we didn't do, and I figure you didn't do either, was watch the news. We were not to talk to strangers, and we developed our spidey senses to know where to/not to go. Of course this was before the media turned into a circus, and became "Info-tainment" rather than news. I contend evil WAS present at the time, you just didn't hear about it so much. Much of the evil done 40 or 50 years ago would not have had the hype it gets today. In the 50s-60s a double murder two states away would have MAYBE got a mere mention on the one hour per day, per channel national news. Remember Huntley & Brinkley? GOOD NIGHT CHET. These days the media search high and low for the most depraved, disgusting, degenerate behavior they can find. Then they "Play" it to you to get the biggest reaction they can. They are sure as hell getting a reaction this time.
Pathetic......

Very true the media reported the facts back then not speculated the motive and all trying to be the first with the info. After watching several stations on that day no one new jack and even now there is so much misinformation out there on the school shooting I don’t know what the facts are! It is sad but they all have their own agendas to push as well.

As Rahm Emanuel stated never let a crises go to waste and the media didn’t even if the info was not correct.

During the Revolutionary War we were armed with the same or even better weapons(rifle vs smooth bore musket) so why is our government so afraid of the same situation nowadays? The arms gap between civilian and military is 200 times what is was in the 1770's.

I'm a Revolutionary War buff, my ancestors were there on the following fateful day when the "shot heard round the world" was fired

The colonists in fact had cannon, rockets and mortars, both field mortars and musket style grenade-launcher types. The British were afraid of the armed colonists, and in fact Lexington and Concord, April 19th, 1775 were a british attempt at disarmament. You see Concord was a repository of blackpowder, flints and shot. Lexington was on the way from Boston

Do we ask similar questions to people with poser-trucks? You know, the guys with a shiny new chromed-up truck, fancy differentials and the whole shazam, that drive from suburb to office parking lot and the shopping center and rush out to polish the rims after a drop of rain.

when people ask why I have such and such gun / on me in a derogatory manner I tell them it is none of their business. end of discussion.

I don't need to justify anything to anyone. It is simply our natural born right.

granted if they ask in an open manner I tell will open the discussion with them and try to educate them on why they should enjoy their freedom.

Great topic and probably a question that will come up more and more with the state our society is in. While I do agree with Botte Hork that we should not have to be defensive about our civil rights but to have a well thought, rational answer such as yours, is a good thing. I don't own any "assault" rifles as the media, gov, etc like to refer to them as and don't have a big desire to own one, I do have friends who own them and fully support our right to own them. When I am asked similar questions about gun ownership, my typical response is that I would be more than willing to give up my firearms if it can be guaranteed that all firearms will be gone, meaning police won't have them, military won't have them. Then when they tell me how unrealistic that is, I tell them how unrealistic any sort of gun control is to making our country safe.

One little problem with the absurd fantasy of eliminating all guns is this.. You and your family are reading or watching TV one night and your door is kicked in by (take yer pick) 3 to 4 meth heads/gangstas/renegade bikers armed with knives. They proceed to murder you and rape the females to death

There's no way to eliminate knives. I know because I have made some hellacious nice ones from scratch with common tools

Gun control is people control/tyranny

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads