JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.stripes.com/report-pentagon-to-destroy-1b-in-ammunition-1.280372

First thought was say it isn't so.
But the story makes it out much worse - they don't know the state of the ammo and I'd hate for them to issue something which could catastrophically fail when fired. I am shocked they didn't track it better.

Not really.

While in the reserves, I spend one 2 week session documenting ships stores. Found a million dollars worth of engine room parts - high end gaskets, pipes and the like. It was all there, just not documented.

That was a horribly written article that had little explanation for why or what or really if ammo was going to be destroyed. After reading it I was more confused.

The Army doesn't tell the other services what ammo they have surplus so the other services buy what they need. OK so that leaves ammo in the Armys stockpile. I fail to see how that equates to having to destroy ammo.

As to small arms ammo catastrophically failing HUH? how? I have shot thousands of surplus rounds some dating back to 1927 and I don't remember any failures. How would ammo less then 1/4th that old at the oldest be a problem?

http://www.stripes.com/report-pentagon-to-destroy-1b-in-ammunition-1.280372

First thought was say it isn't so.
But the story makes it out much worse - they don't know the state of the ammo and I'd hate for them to issue something which could catastrophically fail when fired. I am shocked they didn't track it better.

Not really.

While in the reserves, I spend one 2 week session documenting ships stores. Found a million dollars worth of engine room parts - high end gaskets, pipes and the like. It was all there, just not documented.

Typical military supply tactic. Sometimes they get stuff they shouldn't have and then they have to hide it from IG inspectors because they also can't get rid of it.

Nothing in the articles I have read says that any small arms ammo will be included in any destruction. They mention small arms ammo in a couple places but nothing to do with destruction. In fact they mention it in ways that barely has anything to do with the article at all. Since they do mention anything from small arms to Air to ground & Ground to Air missiles. It wouldn't take much to add up to 1.2 Billion pretty fast. Like I said a horribly written article with few if any facts and a lot of stirring the pot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top