JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just submitted an eForm for an SBR (lower). The system noted some research would be required, I believe because the American Defense Manufacturing UIC Multi lower is only listed for 5.56mm and 300 blk calibers, while my submitted is for 9mm. The response from ATF says status "Pending Research" which is either normal or the result of the 9mm. Anyone have experience with this situation?

Final update:
Received at ATF - 2 February Pending status due to manual entry of caliber
Submitted - 12 February (Pending status resolved)
Tax Stamp Received - 17 March!!

Last Edited:
The manufacturer and model number are from the drop down. Just had to enter the caliber manually. FWIW I included an attachment with a note of explanation, but I'm thinking this is a normal occurrence.

Is it an actual 9mm lower? Or is it a typical 556 lower?

Probably would of been easier to submit as a 556 and then just swap the upper to a 9mm once approved.

It's a multi lower. I didn't know if I could declare as, for example, a 5.56 SBR when I have no intention of owning a short barrel 5.56 upper.
Ya, it's kind of a mute point. You did the correct thing. Its the ATF are a simple agency and they get confused easily when you put things in against their automated data. That lower is, for the most part, used to make 556/300blk guns. So if someone decides to make a 9mm with it and it's not in the automated system as such. It will discombobulate them.

I had the same thing happen on my 9mm SBR, it took a couple of days and then it went past that part. I think anytime you don't use the drop down and enter a value in a field, it goes to pending research automagically.

Received notification of status change from Pending to Submitted. Took only 10 days to research my manual entry of 9mm which I consider reasonable. I'll be sending in the prints tomorrow!

My second, identical lower went through start to finish in 30 days without "Pending Research" - go figure. I suspect it's variable depending on the individual processing the form. Going to the range tomorrow to checkout the new lower.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top