JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just acquired 1/2 a yard of this quite expensive fabric. I see that a company in Canada is making one-off gear in this camo pattern, and I'm wondering who on here, or locally, would be able to use such a pattern in the Cascade Mountains and the High Desert areas? Would sight predators care? Would it be useful against winter turkeys? what game animals sees in full color?
Measurement of fabric, 18" by 60". Not going to make a backpack or ruck or anything like that, plenty of that available online. More focused on smaller pieces first, to see if there's any demand for it ;)
The colorways of it seems to be similar to the "winter pattern" trialed by USMC, with Coyote Brown added to it.

I figured I wanted something to make with the 25 yards of the Cream Mil spec 1" webbing I got from Amazon, which proved far too light against Coyote and 3 color Desert camouflage. Coyote buckle from ITW-Nexus next to black 1" cam buckle which will be used on a custom rig in 1000D Olive Drab (same shade as Tactical Tailor's OD) DSCF1742.JPG

Cool pattern! The name "desert snow" comes to mind.

Would love to see that in the form of a chest rig for rifle and pistol mags combo with buckle detach neck and torso straps.

Alternatively, I can picture a modern take on the mountain man "possibles bag" with this cool pattern.

Nice find!

Rick Shaw

8a5c11255463720a4b4d2cdb0a91e88e.jpg
I think Helikon of Canada made this custom fixed pocket chest rig. No pistol mag pockets though, but I believe they quoted a very steep price of $165+ for it? Backpacks, I see in this pattern online, also very expensive. MOLLE gear, some, mostly in Utility/SAW/canteen sizes, not much ammo pouches tho.

Gonna have to figure out some stuff though, like how to do rifle mag plus pistol mag while not using loud as heck velcro, or having open topped pockets with elastics... in a snowy environment, flaps probably would be best for the mags, but figuring a silent pouch closure has been a bane. That black cam buckle is one way I am going, though it is not available in any other color, hence the side release buckle in Coyote for whatever rig I make with this. I suppose Foliage Green buckles could work quite well with this pattern, as its got a shade of gray from the ACU series.

Cool photo! That pattern is really neat in a chest rig. You sure are right about the price though! Yike!

Great call about not wanting the tearing sound of Velcro. It's awesome you're such a thoughtful craftsman to think ahead like that.

I do think the Foliage buckles would work for color. Though I do think maybe Ceracote might open up your color palette and still be durable in the field.

Great find on that fabric. It's really unique and eye catching!

well Ceracote would need a base material that's not gonna melt easily. Not sure if the Acetal plastic/nylon on the cam buckle will stand up to it. At least, if Ceracote is anything like the Duracoat baked-on paints?

I may be Deaf, but I can tell if velcro is gonna be noisy when testing with my hearing aid :p In combat, it's not gonna matter much, nor would it matter much at a range, but out hunting... it does matter. Snaps do have a place, but I dislike them, as I don't have the perfect setting tools to keep the pieces concentric when setting them. Side Release buckles can be good, however they do have a slight noise to them (click). They are immensely easy to replace when needed though. I've been looking at alternate ways for pouch flap closures that's quieter than the standard side release buckles. Sure would be nice if there's an US distributor for the interlocking loop/web strap method as seen on British tactical gear.... A modernized version of the vietnam era pouch strap closure would be awesome.

Terrific points. You're so right that Velcro is unnatural sounding in the hunting environment.

Since speed wouldn't be a factor, I'm wondering if old fashioned button closures or the wilderness "button" of a tip of stag horn passed through a loop as a form of button closure.

Just found online that white cam buckles of the same style as the black ones are available. These buckles are virtually silent and stupidly simple. Easier to use than Ladder-Lock or metal slider buckles. Been thinking though, might be best to use metal hardware if plastic/acetal buckles get brittle from -20F to -40F, or temperatures at which this camo pattern is most useful.

Done with this rig. Hoo boy, has to be one of the most complicated, and labor intensive rigs I've ever done :eek: Now I see why Gear Dynamics quoted (not Helikon, my mistake) $165 for their custom chest rig...

Specs of the rig;
3 pockets, each holds up to 2 M1A/AR10/SR25 20rd magazines, should be able to fit Magpul mags, and MOLLE for utility pouches as sold by Helikon in the matching pattern, or white MOLLE pouches, should be OK with ACU pouches. Eagle Industries Khaki canteen, USMC Coyote canteen, and USGI Desert canteen pouches are shown

DSCF1770.JPG
Rig showing pouch detail, with 1/8" white bungee cord and Cord-lock adjuster
DSCF1771.JPG
Back of rig
DSCF1772.JPG
Pouches closed, showing the relative compactness of the rig, approx 19" across.
DSCF1773.JPG DSCF1774.JPG
Detail shots of side MOLLE panels; note the bottom row is not stitched at the end of the rig; this is to ensure space for MOLLE straps to go through
DSCF1775.JPG
Top of rig, with 9 inch zipper for flat utility space, good place for a conceal carry gun in a padded pocket holster, maps, or other flat items.
DSCF1776.JPG
Showing bottom of pouches, with drainage eyelets
DSCF1777.JPG
Pouch flaps extended as far up as possible, should fit 25rd Magpul SR25/AR10 magazines, but am not sure. Will test at gun show.
DSCF1778.JPG
padded shoulder strap details with single column MOLLE and D rings for other things such as binoc pouch or harness.
DSCF1780.JPG

Canteen covers on the rig; clockwise from the top; grungy DCU, Eagle Industries MLCS Khaki, and USMC Coyote Brown (Interesting note, the buckles used on them are a different shade from each other, with the DCU one being closer to the Khaki one). Also you can see how much lighter the Cream Khaki strap is compared to the DCU canteen cover's webbing straps.

Yes, high desert. Lots of sage brush but the lightest color (snow) is about the same as the really light colored soil that's common around here. AKA, moon dust. getPart_zps1fsd1yld.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top