JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Pelosi throws cold water on weapons ban
By Mike Soraghan
Posted: 02/26/09 11:59 AM [ET]

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats’ reluctance to take on gun issues.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat “no” when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.

“On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,” Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. “I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that.”

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don’t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

The White House declined to comment on Holder's remarks, referring reporters to the Department of Justice. The DoJ did not respond to The Hill's request for comment.

Link to article on The Hill

Maybe common sense will rule. It looks like Holder is getting his hands slapped for pushing his own agenda instead of respecting to law of the land and the will of the people. It is pretty bad when Pelosi is the one giving you the beat down on an issue such as this. I would be willing to bet he is taking quite a beating behind closed doors and will think twice before overstepping his role and trying to set public policy again.

That's some pretty good news for gun owners, second amendment fans, and gun prices I would think. I was actually a little nervous last night when I had read about what Holder had said and the whole X-caliber guns/mexican cartel stuff which is a whole different screwed up issue.

Thank you for posting this.

Ed
Gun loving democrat "I keep telling people, we're not all bad."

Pelosi and Feinstein have been and ALWAYS will be for a ban/reg/tax/ect/ect/ect no matter what she says now. We all no it and it will never change. Her telling us that when you cant even have most guns or a hi cap mag in the state she represents.

Holder just wants his mug in the news. Last week he called on us as a country to hang our heads in shame, this week it's a weapon ban. I'm sure that obama has told him to shut up by now, he's got enough heat without this. Look's like Pelosi has learned a thing or two from Hillary.

That's like saying typewriters aren't protected by the first amendment...

I totally understand what your saying but,
Interpitation is just that. what ive heard from gun shop owners is that ammo is the target now, not the weapons. Its the back door to to the weapons ban. Because the 2A protects guns and "ammo" is not mentioned, Anyone else hear the same??

I heard Rush's take on this today. He thinks that this was just Nancy Pelosi's way of telling The Messiah that he's got enough going on right now what with the economy collapsing and all. They'll just wait for now and get to the AWB later.

I'm with my fellow Marines, 1911 and Swoop. Pelosi's just playing politics right now because they are getting more heat for the economy right now. I'd be willing to bet that within the year, they're gonna put up an earnest fight to reinstate the ban, and people like us are gonna have to be the ones to fight it!

As far as banning ammo, I dunno how far they could get with that, considering that a lot of calibers have hunting equivalents..plus, I really don't think the Supreme Court (as it is now) would let that slide.

I totally understand what your saying but,
Interpitation is just that. what ive heard from gun shop owners is that ammo is the target now, not the weapons. Its the back door to to the weapons ban. Because the 2A protects guns and "ammo" is not mentioned, Anyone else hear the same??

I've heard this rumor for years, but where is the proposed legislation that would regulate or otherwise hinder the manufacture, transfer, or use of ammunition? All I've seen are the Ammo ID bills at the state level that don't seem to be going anywhere.

It all comes down to two words..."fear mongering." It is all the right has in their arsenal at the moment.

Where was all the pro-gun legislation when the far right had complete control of the country for six solid years?

I've heard this rumor for years, but where is the proposed legislation that would regulate or otherwise hinder the manufacture, transfer, or use of ammunition? All I've seen are the Ammo ID bills at the state level that don't seem to be going anywhere.

Great news, Im sure this is what ive been hearing about. Im not to much into politics like I should be...

It all comes down to two words..."fear mongering." It is all the right has in their arsenal at the moment.

Where was all the pro-gun legislation when the far right had complete control of the country for six solid years?

The sunset of the AWB in 2004 would be considered pro-gun. As for fear mongering......be afraid...be very afraid, forget the propaganda and look at the anti gun record of the people now in power, a person should be judged by their past deeds.

Six years of unprotested and unrestricted power and that little example is the biggest straw you can grasp for?

Well if you consider the elimination of the assault weapon ban a straw.......... "Unprotested" haven't you watched the news much in the last 6 years. Would life have been better with Demo's at the wheel the last 8 years?

What more could be have done realistically?

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top